Confirmed Trade: [CHI/FLA] B. Connolly, R. Stillman, H. Borgstrom, '21 7th for L. Wallmark, L. Carlsson

JEFFREY87

Oct 9, 2020
Can we just give Zito the GM of the yr award yet? Thanks for dumping Brett! Next Yandle somehow someway.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I would think CdH more than Zadorov. This is not an impressive package from Florida as Connolly is a salary dump and Stillman is an ok but low upside defender who has been lapped on their blueline depth chart and won’t be missed at all.

Seems a low price to grab a more established defender. Not sure why Florida would have any heartburn giving these guys up for immediate help. I would hope to see a pick stapled in there too if I’m Chicago and I’m taking on Connollys contract for two more seasons.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Surprised at all these suggestions. Why would the hawks be giving away RFA D or ones with term that are regulars?

Panthers are paying Hawks to do them a favour. How in the world would the best player in the trade go from Hawks to Panthers? And why would the scrubs leak to the media before the main course of the trade?

DeHaan, Murphy, and Zadorov are nowhere near this trade.

Expect some token piece going to Panthers and pick(s)/prospect(s) accompanying Connolly and Stillman to the Hawks.

Edit: Keith would be interesting though.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
yep, knee jerk response, here, is often "but he coulda been gotten for free..."

however, these considerations often also apply
- a guy who has cleared waivers can be assigned to taxi squad or AHL
- with flat cap, teams much prefer some salary going out when some new salary comes in ...
Correct. This goes as far back as ... well, the start of the salary cap era. WHY WOULD ANYONE TRADE FOR ____, HE JUST GOT WAIVED - YOU COULD HAVE HAD HIM FOR FREE!

Yeah, teams could have. They don't because they don't have the cap space to absorb a $3 million, $4 million, $5 million contract straight-up. That's why those guys clear waivers. Their team is hoping someone will take him for nothing because they also want to clear cap space themselves.

Thus, it really shouldn't surprise anyone when a player who was waived and clears gets traded. That's what happens in the salary cap world. What should surprise someone is when one of those players does get claimed. It's going to be exceedingly rare, for reasons I noted above.

Reactions: DaveG

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Surprised at all these suggestions. Why would the hawks be giving away RFA D or ones with term that are regulars?

Panthers are paying Hawks to do them a favour. How in the world would the best player in the trade go from Hawks to Panthers? And why would the scrubs leak to the media before the main course of the trade?

Expect some token piece going to Panthers and pick(s)/prospect(s) accompanying Connolly and Stillman to the Hawks.

We don't know the details of the deal, just two names in it. There can still be more on Florida's end

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

We don't know the complete deal on what Florida is offering either. Final trade might not be just Connolly and Stillman, although don't expect any other FLA regular involved.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Yeah at first I was like what if it was Connolly and Stillman for some meaningless conditional pick and Stillman was just payment for taking BC but I don’t think that’s a very rewarding incentive if you have BC on the books for two more years and Stillman has stagnated. That’s just adding contracts and money when you’ve got a bunch of RFAs coming up to sign and we know how much GMs are valuing cap space and flexibility right now.

Let alone adding a player who should at least have some positive value in CdH or definitely not Zadorov or Murphy unless there is much more of value coming back from Florida.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Should be interesting to see what else is involved here. If Chicago is getting Connolly and Stillman, you'd think they'd be sending back salary or Florida is paying something more to move Connolly because Stillman isn't much in terms of value, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad