Confirmed Trade: [CHI/EDM] Brandon Manning and Robin Norell for Drake Caggiula and Jason Garrison

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am not saying that this is the most damaging move Chia made but it may be the one that made the least sense all things considered and that is saying something. I honestly do not know a single fan or media guy who had any real explanation for this one.
Strome deal takes the cake for me. Simply mind-blowing how he was treated in this organization.

Manning at least had a track record of being able to play elevated minutes in a time when we had injuries on the back end. Also judging by the Caggiula stare, Hitchcock had it out for him.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Strome deal takes the cake for me. Simply mind-blowing how he was treated in this organization

Strome has been a fine depth F for NYR,
even playing C now, with one 20 year old C on DL and another in the A,

better than i expected from a "cast off"
but reasonable to expect from a 25-year-old one-time 5th overall

of course that thinking was probably what led to the Griffin Reinhart deal, which IMHO was as terrible as any

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Ahh, getting reminded of this transaction put a smile on my face, thanks!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wake up next to laptop.
Open google chrome.
Go to HFboards hoping Manning has been traded.
Scream to your friends when you see Manning has been traded.
Put sock in mouth and pretend to be dead when you realize someone just bumped an old thread.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's as damning a hockey stat as I've seen in a while. Wow. :laugh:

Had to look it up, too. Caggiula had 7 goals in 29.

Next up is Kassian....6 in 50
Then Lucic with 5 in 53. :help:

Question for Oil fans, how much time in the top six does Khaira get? I thought I heard a while back he was riding shotgun with Connor for a bit, but the stats don't seem to reflect this.
Khaira doesn't get much top six time at all, and it frustrates me because he has shown to be a good energy guy and have good work ethic and he is a pest, but gets stapled to the bottom line. I get it, he does that well, but give him a chance to play with McDavid. I think he has played with Draisaitl more, but even that is few and far between. He's one of our few depth forwards I don't want to part with under any circumstances other than massive overpayment.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Caggiula is looking like a less screw loose Andrew Shaw.

My, my, my how much a difference it is when a player is on a team that will properly develop your game to your strengths.

(Oilers hold out both hands cupped tightly, blackhawks drop a penny into the center of those same cupped hands)

Thank you!!

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Ahahaha, seeing this bumped now and then gives me joy. Go get em Brandon, looking good! :laugh:

Don't feel too sorry for him guys, he'll live a sweeter life then most when this ice hockey thing finally doesn't pan out anymore.

He should give his agent half the money he's made though, that guy must be some sort of a mecha clone of Scott Boras and Jerry Maguire or something, greatest super hero agent of all time...

vonginous

Jan 13, 2016
Dont know what is worse. This, or that Dave Hakstol played him over sanheim, Morin, and Myers just last year.

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Dont know what is worse. This, or that Dave Hakstol played him over sanheim, Morin, and Myers just last year.

Combined with the fact that Jori Lehtera is a healthy scratch for the Flyers farm team despite Hakstol trotting him out there frequently. Determining who deserved ice-time was not one of Hakstol's strong suits (not that he had any).

Reactions: vonginous

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So they give up Drake Caggiula, one of their best wingers, to sit Brandon Manning in the AHL pressbox and pay him 2.5M, guy who injured your best player for half a season not too long ago ?

LOL

That's really not saying much. Caggiula is a borderline 3rd/4th liner that likely wouldn't be playing above the 4th line on a lot of true contenders.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That's really not saying much. Caggiula is a borderline 3rd/4th liner that likely wouldn't be playing above the 4th line on a lot of true contenders.

It's saying a lot how bad the Oilers suck on the wings, which makes it even more mind boggling why they give up someone who is at least decent and has shown the ability to play with skill players, at least in spurts.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's saying a lot how bad the Oilers suck on the wings, which makes it even more mind boggling why they give up someone who is at least decent and has shown the ability to play with skill players, at least in spurts.

Agreed. The deal was a head scratcher at the time, and certainly doesn't look any better now.
A depth winger like Cags is still more valuable than a press box / minors guy who's signed for another year at $2Mil+.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Much as I wanted Manning off our NHL roster, he's definitely an AHL player at worst. There will be a reason for his sitting i'm sure.

The hate he gets is unreal. He's not a lazy player, he's just not very good. Can't be blamed for Hak using him, or Chicago giving him such a ridiculous contract. He seems like a good guy, just not a good hockey guy.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->