Proposal: CHI-COL

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Compher has 3 more years at $3.5m, and is a defensively responsible bottom 6er who can fill in up the lineup if needed. Sure, Saad is better, but he's only signed for 1 more season at $6m (before retention). Since we don't really need the extra offense Saad might provide, what's the point? More specifically, what's the plan after next season? Re-sign Saad, or go looking for someone else?
Compher’s almost certainly gone in expansion anyway. Saad makes us better next year. Isn’t a bad thing getting that salary off the books for Landeskog/Makar’s next contract.

bbskiff

Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
To Chicago:
:hawks
-2020 1st round pick (25th overall)
-Tyson Jost

To Colorado:
:avs
-Brandon Saad (25% retention)

With the reports of Colorado going "all in" next season, Brandon Saad would be a good trade candidate for them.

The 25th overall pick is fair value for a reliable player like Saad. Jost is more of a throw-in.

Chicago retains a bit on Saad so Colorado can continue to make other big acquisitions.

I dunno. Avs are essentially giving 2 - 1st round picks for Saad. Who knows, Jost may pan out on another team.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Compher’s almost certainly gone in expansion anyway. Saad makes us better next year. Isn’t a bad thing getting that salary off the books for Landeskog/Makar’s next contract.

I don't disagree that Saad makes us better next year, but then we're 2 players down the following year when Saad leaves as a UFA and someone else gets selected in the expansion draft. Seems like it creates a bigger problem than we're trying to solve.

I also don't necessarily see the need to make space for Makar/Landeskog. We have ELCs coming, Cole's contract expiring, and a ton of cap space already. We should be able to fit both of those contracts without any significant problems.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Define considerable? This trade has the Avalanche sending a 1st round pick and Jost, who's not great but is a young bottom six-forward. Is there a team who would give up multiple first round picks for Saad? I personally don't think so.
Saad extended and for the next year at least at let's say 50% retained at $3 mil for the first year, probably throws another second round pick into the mix

so probably 1st + 2nd + Jost for Saad @$3 mil + extended

which I think would be fair for a top line 200ft power forward who plays well in all three zones and nearly all production at 5v5. maybe not as high as an additional 2nd, maybe an extra 3rd gets it done, but certainly not an insignificant asset

Reactions: Crow and shadow1

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I completely agree that there are players who aren't valued solely based on their offense. If you want to say that Saad is worth more than being just a 45 point forward, I don't disagree. But, how much more? At the 45 point level, I don't think it's all that much, and consider it more of a tie breaker between 45 point guys, until you get closer to the Selke level guys.

I also agree that we should add a Saad like player. Just not Saad because he costs too much for what we're looking for, both in cap hit and cost of acquisition.

Fair enough, I agree with that viewpoint.

Personally, I believe the Hawks should hold on to Saad until the trade deadline, the Hawks should be able to get more from a team looking to add that final piece for a cup run. Cap implications will be minimal for the acquiring team at that point as well.

Reactions: Crow

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
not a bad value, BUT I'd try to get a deal elsewhere, for a better player. Saad scored as many points this season as Donskoi afterall, who is exactly the player we are looking to upgrade from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad