Feb 16, 2018
To Chicago:
:hawks
-2020 1st round pick (25th overall)
-Tyson Jost

To Colorado:
:avs
-Brandon Saad (25% retention)

With the reports of Colorado going "all in" next season, Brandon Saad would be a good trade candidate for them.

The 25th overall pick is fair value for a reliable player like Saad. Jost is more of a throw-in.

Chicago retains a bit on Saad so Colorado can continue to make other big acquisitions.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Avs need a goalie a lot more than Saad. Sakic should use his pick/assets to get a ligit starter.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'd rather see what Bowers and Kaut can do next season than waste assets on one year of Saad.
Bowers isn't NHL ready, he needs another year in the AHL, likely with a callup at some point like Kaut had this year. Bowers was doing well defensively but his offence was lacking so he got moved to the wing where he started scoring a lot more. The aim for him now is to move back to C and keep up his offence.

Conversely, Kaut is very much NHL ready judging by his 9 game call up in Feb/March.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Bowers isn't NHL ready, he needs another year in the AHL, likely with a callup at some point like Kaut had this year. Bowers was doing well defensively but his offence was lacking so he got moved to the wing where he started scoring a lot more. The aim for him now is to move back to C and keep up his offence.

Conversely, Kaut is very much NHL ready judging by his 9 game call up in Feb/March.

I agree with all of this. But, I'd still prefer to see what the youngsters can do, rather than giving up Jost + 1st for the right to pay Saad $4.5m for a single season. As it stands, we don't have a lot of available spots in the lineup for Kaut to play, and adding Saad puts another roadblock in the way.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Seems consensus so far is that the value is fair, but Colorado should put their assets towards a more pressing need.

Reactions: Y3TI

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The truth is that it doesn't make much sense for the Avs to go all-in aside from loading up the bottom 6 a bit and maybe try to upgrade one of our goalies with the expansion draft coming up..

Avs already have the 3 Ds to protect (plus potentially a 4th with Timmins who is questionable both in his exemption status and health status) in Girard, Makar and EJ.
We also already have 5 forwards we probably will want to protect in Mac, Rants,Landy, Kadri and Burakovsky.

There is not much wiggle room here unless for a very short term upgrade and a quality #3 C (who for the love of god please is a complete stud on the PK).

So yeah. If you have a very high end #2/3 C with 3 years left on his contract, I am very willing to listen and put assets like #24 overall, Graves, Jost, Bowers, etc on the table.

Avs downfall was health and horrifyingly bad special teams (both PP and PK).

EDIT: Wrong thread but also fits here in a way.

Don't think Saad fits the bill here (maybe as a secondary move if he comes really, really cheap in exchange for a Jost and/or Zadorov/Graves). Strome also is not good enough defensively.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Bowers ain't ready, but Kaut definitely is and should get playtime so I understand where you're coming from.

Man, I love Kaut...

Bowers should be ready to at least get a few call ups, and it's possible that his defense could keep him in the lineup. I agree that Kaut is probably closer, but I also thought Timmins had a better chance at getting NHL ice time than Graves before this season, so it wouldn't be the first (or last) time that I'm wrong about which prospect makes the team.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Seems consensus so far is that the value is fair, but Colorado should put their assets towards a more pressing need.
No one’s really remarked on the value. I’d say it’s a fairly significant overpayment for Saad. I probably wouldn’t move the 1st alone for him.

Reactions: Psycho Mantis

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Honestly not the worst proposal with how bad Colorado is at drafting with later picks, but the Avs have other issues they should address first when it comes to trading their 1st.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think the Hawks would just wait until the trade deadline if that's the best offer on the table.
Hawks will probably be motivated sellers though, given that they need to resign Kubalik among others. And that's before considering the financial ramifications of the lockdown for the owner.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hawks will probably be motivated sellers though, given that they need to resign Kubalik among others. And that's before considering the financial ramifications of the lockdown for the owner.

Financial ramifications? In 2019, the Hawks were ranked 4th in valuation and revenue. Avs were 22nd. If anyone can weather a lockdown its the Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad