Trade: [CHI/CLE/POR] Lauri Markkanen to CLE, Derrick Jones, POR 1st, CLE 2nd to CHI, Larry Nance to POR

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Weird move to Cleveland after investing so much in Allen and drafting Mobley… 3 guys that can’t play together (although the Cavs ran a 3 centre lineup a few times last year)

Maybe they play Lauri at the 3? He can’t guard 4’s and 5’s either, so maybe it’s worth a shot?

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Weird move to Cleveland after investing so much in Allen and drafting Mobley… 3 guys that can’t play together (although the Cavs ran a 3 centre lineup a few times last year)

Maybe they play Lauri at the 3? He can’t guard 4’s and 5’s either, so maybe it’s worth a shot?
that's Okoro's spot though

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
that's Okoro's spot though
True, but he can slide to the 2 when they trade Collin Sexton, something long rumoured.

A bit of sarcasm, too. There was a Lauri hype man who used to post here - sold him as a future MVP and a transcendent talent… so you’ll see some jokes now that he’s even worse than most expected.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
True, but he can slide to the 2 when they trade Collin Sexton, something long rumoured.

A bit of sarcasm, too. There was a Lauri hype man who used to post here - sold him as a future MVP and a transcendent talent… so you’ll see some jokes now that he’s even worse than most expected.
Honestly he had a crazy upside, Jim Boylen stops that from coming true though. Two of the hyped prospects we had that had to deal with him are gone and the other's future as a starter is in doubt.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Honestly he had a crazy upside, Jim Boylen stops that from coming true though. Two of the hyped prospects we had that had to deal with him are gone and the other's future as a starter is in doubt.
I never saw this crazy upside. He always appeared to be very limited and lacking depth to his game. Defense was always going to be rough but I guess you were expecting more than a one dimensional catch and shoot guy at this point.

He was a very flawed player before Boylen became his coach so I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on that.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I never saw this crazy upside. He always appeared to be very limited and lacking depth to his game. Defense was always going to be rough but I guess you were expecting more than a one dimensional catch and shoot guy at this point.

He was a very flawed player before Boylen became his coach so I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on that.
I don't think its unfair to suggest Boylen made things worse, especially with what he did to Wendell and Coby in a shorter time span. He peaked as a rookie, more Boylen = worse Lauri.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Boylen didn't make Lauri soft and pathetic defensively

Lauri was an embarrassment all on his own in those regards

Frankly it could be argued Boylen having to deal with a useless Lauri was unfair to Boylen

One of the few things you cant blame Boylen for a shitty soft and useless big man who played like he was 4'11

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't think its unfair to suggest Boylen made things worse, especially with what he did to Wendell and Coby in a shorter time span. He peaked as a rookie, more Boylen = worse Lauri.
Of course coaches can play a role, but I don’t think many are surprised to see the trajectory at this point. He was always very limited. Can’t play defense (kind of important at 7’) and doesn’t have much in the bag on offense. This was the case before Boylen entered the picture.

I don’t know what impact Boylen had on him, but that must have been incredibly frustrating as a coach seeing a player hurt you so much more than he helps you on a team you’re trying to win games with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad