OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I played this tonight against Harbour Dog but got burned trying to transpose into the Modern Defense.

He's quite fond of the English, lirl:
View attachment 337983

Those two c3 games were mouse slips :laugh:

I'm a firm believer in specializing in an opening. Especially online where you rarely play an opponent more than a few times.

It never gets repetitive, because games invariably become unique at some point and you need to be on your guard for when you are outside of what you've prepared.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I played this tonight against Harbour Dog but got burned trying to transpose into the Modern Defense. He's quite fond of the English, lirl: ...
The good thing about the Modern Defense is that you can play it against anything.

"All games of round four at the Candidates Tournament in Yekaterinburg finished peacefully, which means Wang Hao, Ian Nepomniachtchi and Maxime Vachier-Lagrave are still sharing the lead on 2½ out of 4. Caruana pushed his h-pawn against Nepomniachtchi's Grünfeld but could not convert his slight advantage, while Grischuk entered his usual excessive time trouble while defending a complicated position against Vachier-Lagrave — in the end, he managed to hold the balance." The Candidates Round 4: Draws

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"The 2020 Candidates Tournament has a sole leader for the first time, as Ian Nepomniachtchi defeated Wang Hao with the white pieces in round five. The three other games finished drawn. Kirill Alekseenko and Maxime Vachier-Lagrave entered a sharp Najdorf which ended in a repetition, while Anish Giri could not make the most of the very promising position he got against Fabiano Caruana." The Candidates Round 5: Nepomniachtchi takes the lead

If a Russian is in the Finals, it will be the second time after 2008 when former WC Kramnik lost to former WC Anand:

23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
Bonn
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
Viswanathan Anand (3)
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Vladimir Kramnik
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png
Bulgaria
Sofia
Viswanathan Anand (4)
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png
Veselin Topalov
Russia
Moscow
Viswanathan Anand (5)
21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png
Boris Gelfand
1+1110+3
India
Chennai
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Magnus Carlsen
Viswanathan Anand
Russia
Sochi
Magnus Carlsen (2)
Viswanathan Anand
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
New York City
Magnus Carlsen (3)
Sergey Karjakin
1+2110+2
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom
London
Magnus Carlsen (4)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Fabiano Caruana
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"Ian Nepomniachtchi goes into the second rest day of the Candidates Tournament leading by a full point after beating Ding Liren with White on Monday. The only other player with a plus score is Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, who was worse but managed to hold a draw against Wang Hao. Anish Giri defeated Kirill Alekseenko in a game that lasted over seven hours, while Alexander Grischuk had to be precise to split the point with Fabiano Caruana." The Candidates Round 6: Nepomniachtchi wins again, widens the gap

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3

Never play the French against a Frenchman

86440%20(12).jpeg

The Candidates: Postponed after Round 7

"Ian Nepomniachtchi went into the second rest day of the Candidates Tournament leading by a full point. The only other player with a plus score was Maxime Vachier-Lagrave. In round seven the two played each other, and Vachier-Lagrave, who had the white pieces, outplayed the Russian and caught up with him in the standings table, a full point ahead of the field. The remaining three games ended drawn." The Candidates: Postponed after Round 7

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was so disappointed when I turned it on this morning and found out. Wasn't able to get back to sleep in the two and a half hour wait until work then, either.

So ends the last professional sporting distraction from the pandemic.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I was so disappointed when I turned it on this morning and found out. Wasn't able to get back to sleep in the two and a half hour wait until work then, either. So ends the last professional sporting distraction from the pandemic.
Agreed. I got depressed and took a nap. If you find out anything about any IM/GM online tourneys, please pm me or post it here.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Grenada
Lmao, not enough patience to watch a full baseball or basketball game.

I played a lot over the board between 16 and 20 years old, but only over the last couple years have I started playing online.

I've got nearly 3000 games under my belt on chess.com now, and I'm still learning new ways I should be responding in my openings, which have been mostly the same since game 100 or so. And I'm relatively weak at end game tactics.

I think I enjoy analyzing openings and figuring how to steer them into the middle games that I want more than actually playing the game. I play the Sicilian as Black, and just this morning I spent an hour going over a specific, rare variation of it (McDonnell Attack, Tal Gambit) #NextLevelNoLife

Edit - nearly 2600 games
'Been playing since my dad taught me how to play when I was 6. He stopped playing me after a few months because he couldn't beat me anymore lol. Chess.com is definitely where it's at but i'm still learning openings/counters.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
'Been playing since my dad taught me how to play when I was 6. He stopped playing me after a few months because he couldn't beat me anymore lol. Chess.com is definitely where it's at but i'm still learning openings/counters.

:laugh:

Very similar for me. I think I was in grade two or three when he taught me, but after our first game he never won again and soon stopped playing.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Anyone ever play shotglass chess? Now that's some serious fun...

I've played shot glass checkers once.

And me and a buddy in university used to occasionally play chess where the winner of a game had to shotgun a beer before he could set up his pieces for the next one. It was intended to even the scales haha.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The 6.a3 Najdorf Sicilian
Another attempt is represented by 6.a3, the value of which is what I will be trying to evaluate in this article as far as possible from the point of view of both players. So then: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.a3!?. The move 6.a3 attracted some attention when world champion Magnus Carlsen used it at the Wijk-aan-Zee tournament in 2017 against Najdorf expert Radoslaw Wojtaszek and won his game, whilst on the previous day Karjakin had also used the line (against Giri and had drawn). But since then the setup had not really got beyond the status of a surprise weapon. I am, however, of the opinion that even as such a surprise weapon it can be of good service to players with White; so Najdorf players should not under-estimate the move 6.a3.
Venomous as venomous can be

Last edited:

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Grenada
I've played shot glass checkers once.

And me and a buddy in university used to occasionally play chess where the winner of a game had to shotgun a beer before he could set up his pieces for the next one. It was intended to even the scales haha.

With checkers it almost doesn't matter lol. And yeah the only time my friend in college ever beat me was in that shotglass game - every piece taken was a drink, and we further evened it out by his being filled with beer. Good times.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Marin's English Love

"Marin mentions in the beginning this repertoire is based on 1.c4 followed by 2.g3. Obviously the move 2.g3 has the advantage to avoid the lines where Black plays ♝b4, such as after: 1.c4 e5 2.♘c3 ♝b4"

A lifetime love for the English

Reactions: Harbour Dog

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Marin's English Love

"Marin mentions in the beginning this repertoire is based on 1.c4 followed by 2.g3. Obviously the move 2.g3 has the advantage to avoid the lines where Black plays ♝b4, such as after: 1.c4 e5 2.♘c3 ♝b4"

A lifetime love for the English
Against the English I’ve been trying the Caro-Kann, 1...c6. White can play 2.Nf3 or 2.e4 (the Accelerated Panov Attack), then 2...d5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->