OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Xiong Beats Lazavik In Junior Speed Chess Championship - Chess.com

GM Jeffery Xiong beat IM Denis Lazavik 15.5-10.5 on Sunday in the last match in the round of 16 of the 2021 Junior Speed Chess Championship presented by ChessKid. Lazavik put up an excellent fight and actually managed to beat Xiong in the bullet section.

I like Xiong.

Vachier-Lagrave Wins Croatia Rapid & Blitz - Chess.com

GM Maxime Vachier-Lagrave won the Croatia Rapid & Blitz. The French grandmaster secured the $37,500 first prize with a round to spare when GM Garry Kasparov, who was also struggling on Sunday, lost on time in a drawn position. Thanks to an excellent second day of blitz, GM Viswanathan Anand finished in second place, ahead of GM Anish Giri who came third.

Although speed chess is different, I think Nihal, Xiong, and MVL will do well at the World Cup. I'm an Anand fan. @Harbour Dog

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
960485.9958c506.630x354o.a202b5fba923@2x.png

Queen's Gambit Nets 18 Emmy Nominations - Chess.com

"Netflix's 2020 megahit miniseries The Queen's Gambit has garnered 18 Emmy nominations, including best Limited Series and best Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Anya Taylor-Joy's widely acclaimed performance as Beth Harmon. Thomas Brodie-Sangster, as Benny Watts, and Moses Ingram, as Jolene, also received nominations for best Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress in a Limited Series, respectively. Adapted from Walter Travis' 1983 novel, The Queen's Gambit was released on Netflix on October 23, 2020. It was immediately a gigantic boon to the chess community, with Chess.com at one point receiving 100,000 signups per day. Having GM Garry Kasparov and NM Bruce Pandolfini consulting on the chess scenes helped the series do the game justice. The series and its effect on the chess community received wide coverage in outlets ranging from CNN to The Guardian to Business Insider. The Emmy winners will be announced at the ceremony on September 19."

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

"Netflix's 2020 megahit miniseries The Queen's Gambit has garnered 18 Emmy nominations, including best Limited Series and best Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Anya Taylor-Joy's widely acclaimed performance as Beth Harmon. Thomas Brodie-Sangster, as Benny Watts, and Moses Ingram, as Jolene, also received nominations for best Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress in a Limited Series, respectively. Adapted from Walter Travis' 1983 novel, The Queen's Gambit was released on Netflix on October 23, 2020. It was immediately a gigantic boon to the chess community, with Chess.com at one point receiving 100,000 signups per day. Having GM Garry Kasparov and NM Bruce Pandolfini consulting on the chess scenes helped the series do the game justice. The series and its effect on the chess community received wide coverage in outlets ranging from CNN to The Guardian to Business Insider. The Emmy winners will be announced at the ceremony on September 19."

FIDE World Cup: 28 Matches Go To Tiebreaks - Chess.com

Tiebreaks on Wednesday will decide 19 matches in the 2021 FIDE World Cup and nine matches in the Women's World Cup. A total of 97 players reached the second round without needing a tiebreak. @Harbour Dog

I seen that there's a 'making of' for the Queen's Gambit on Netflix now too. It's pretty far down my list, but I'm sure I'll watch it at some point.

Tomorrow morning is where the traditional World Cup would have normally started! 128 players, and all entrants participating; hoping for some exciting games and perhaps a big upset or two.

Reactions: Hawkman

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
FIDE World Cup: Nihal, Praggnanandhaa Among Qualifiers For Round 3 - Chess.com

The young Indian grandmasters Nihal Sarin and Praggnanandhaa R. are among the players who have reached the third round of the FIDE World Cup without needing a tiebreak. GMs Magnus Carlsen, Anish Giri, and Sergey Karjakin scored 2-0 in the second round, which will have 30 tiebreak matches on Saturday.

The 2 young Indian GMs are very good and I won't be surprised if they go farther. @Harbour Dog

Pragg is even the ratings favourite in his third round match. Krasenkow upsetting Alekseenko seen to that. Krasenkow's win over Alekseenko was a crazy attacking game where he sacced a rook for two pawns (which became three), and never had an immediate winning advantage from it.

But of the two, I think that Sarin may have the better chance of reaching the final 16. He has to get through Andreikin next, but the top half of that bracket was a bit weak anyway, and with Vallejo-Pons getting upset, I would think the winner of Sarin-Andreikin is the favourite vs. Ivic-Bluebaum.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
FIDE World Cup R5.2: Shankland, Vidit Through - Chess.com

"By advancing to the quarterfinals of the FIDE World Cup, Vidit Gujrathi and Sam Shankland booked their places in the 2022 FIDE Grand Prix Series.

GM Sam Shankland knocked out GM Peter Svidler from the FIDE World Cup on Monday. The American grandmaster won his white game to qualify for the quarterfinals. GM Vidit Gujrathi is the only other player who reached the next round without needing a tiebreak after beating GM Vasif Durarbayli as Black. Svidler was the only player who made it to the final 16 in all eight FIDE World Cups since 2005, won it in 2011, and reached the final in 2015. This year, the fifth round was the final station for Svidler. Shankland had played two World Cups but never got further than the second round. This year, the 29-year-old GM from Berkeley, California made it to the final eight players. The second game was definitely fun for him because he won it, ... 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. h4! " @Harbour Dog whups me with this White opening all the time. ;)

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
FIDE World Cup R5.2: Shankland, Vidit Through - Chess.com

"By advancing to the quarterfinals of the FIDE World Cup, Vidit Gujrathi and Sam Shankland booked their places in the 2022 FIDE Grand Prix Series.

GM Sam Shankland knocked out GM Peter Svidler from the FIDE World Cup on Monday. The American grandmaster won his white game to qualify for the quarterfinals. GM Vidit Gujrathi is the only other player who reached the next round without needing a tiebreak after beating GM Vasif Durarbayli as Black. Svidler was the only player who made it to the final 16 in all eight FIDE World Cups since 2005, won it in 2011, and reached the final in 2015. This year, the fifth round was the final station for Svidler. Shankland had played two World Cups but never got further than the second round. This year, the 29-year-old GM from Berkeley, California made it to the final eight players. The second game was definitely fun for him because he won it, ... 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. h4! " @Harbour Dog whups me with this White opening all the time. ;)

In the interview after the game, Shankland said that his team that he has there with him said that he was going to play h4 this game, and he was just like, "what." lol

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
FIDE World Cup R6.1: Carlsen, Shankland Strike - Chess.com

"Using a positional queen sacrifice, an inspired GM Magnus Carlsen started his FIDE World Cup quarterfinal with a win against GM Etienne Bacrot. GM Sam Shankland might eliminate another former World Cup winner as the American GM defeated GM Sergey Karjakin in the first game. In a topical line of the English opening, Shankland's sixth move was not the main line but it had been played twice by Svidler—as if the American GM wanted to show some more respect to his opponent of the previous round. Karjakin was prepared for it and when the queens were traded on move 12, the queenless middlegame that followed was almost equal. Almost. Shankland got a bit of pressure on the light squares and his position seemed a bit more pleasant to play. Still, this shouldn't have been too difficult to hold for Karjakin, who has been nicknamed Minister of Defense. His 38...f5 move, however, was a mistake." @Harbour Dog

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Karjakin advanced; won a second game on demand in the tiebreaks.

So semi final matches are Carlsen-Duda and Fedoseev-Karjakin.

Interesting thing to watch for now are that there are two seats in the next Candidates tournament up for grabs with only Duda, Fedoseev, and Karjakin vying for them.

Winner of Fedoseev-Karjakin gets a seat automatically, and if Duda beats Carlsen he gets a seat. If Duda loses though, than the third place match will decide who gets that second seat.

Radjabov and the loser of the Carlsen-Nepo WCM have already got spots in the candidates.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
971469.345ff327.668x375o.6f66b46189c0.jpeg

FIDE World Cup R7.3: Duda Beats Carlsen To Reach Final, Candidates - Chess.com

"Not GM Magnus Carlsen but GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda reached the final of the FIDE World Cup on Tuesday. The Polish grandmaster beat the world champion in the second rapid game to set up a clash with GM Sergey Karjakin. Both finalists have also qualified for the 2022 FIDE Candidates Tournament." @Harbour Dog

Jan-Krzysztof Duda vs Magnus Carlsen (2021) (chessgames.com)

Jan-Krzysztof Duda vs Magnus Carlsen
FIDE World Cup (2021) (rapid), Krasnaya Polyana (Sochi) RUS, rd 7, Aug-03
Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defense (C65) · 1/2-1/2.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I caught Hikaru getting steamrolled in a blitz games this morning but had other things to do. He looked really out of form. Dunno how it ended up. Magnus took this competition off, yeah?

Same thing for me haha. Tuned in for a few minutes as Hikaru blundered in a winning a position and was just shaking his head. I haven't checked the days results yet though. van Foreest was in the middle of botching a chance to win the first leg against So too.

Going to check those games now.

I just looked at the Carlsen-Fedoseev game from today, and it is absolutely mind-boggling. Carlsen sacced a pawn, then the exchange, and got Fedoseev so tied up in one little corner of the board that all he could do was shuffle his rook and queen in a little three square space while Carlsen started marching his king up.

One of the most ridiculous displays of pure domination that I've seen in a long time.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
FIDE World Cup Finals: Carlsen Wins Masterpiece. Insane. Such an instructive game on the value of piece activity, and how to effectively sac the exchange.

"GM Magnus Carlsen bounced back strongly from his lost FIDE World Cup semifinal. The world champion played a masterpiece with the black pieces on Wednesday and defeated GM Vladimir Fedoseev in the first game of the match for third place. The final of the World Cup started with a very quick draw between GM Sergey Karjakin and GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda." @Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Carlsen did it again today as White!

He sacced a pawn, then the exchange, then another full rook (which he was able to get back); and completely pinned Fedoseev's remaining bishop and rook, as well his king, to the 8th rank.

Then he calmly started marching his king up the board. Unbelievable dismantling of Fedoseev in these two games.

Games FIDE World Cup 2021

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
BREAKING: Duda Wins FIDE World Cup, Carlsen Third - Chess.com

"GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda won the 2021 FIDE World Cup on Thursday, beating GM Sergey Karjakin convincingly in his white game, thereby avoiding a tiebreak. The 23-year-old Polish grandmaster finished the tournament undefeated and takes home $88,000. Karjakin won $64,000 for coming second and, like Duda, he qualified for the 2022 FIDE Candidates Tournament. GM Magnus Carlsen also won his second game against GM Vladimir Fedoseev to score 2-0 and come in third in the tournament, earning $48,000. Fedoseev won $40,000 for fourth place." @Harbour Dog

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Carlsen is a freakin' god. I do love, Nepo, though. He's so delightfully weird. I feel like we'd make good friends in the real world. hahaha

Haha agreed.

I actually kind of see Carlsen and Nepo in the same way in that regard. I spent a lot of nights growing up having a few beer with buddies, and playing cards or video games. And either of them seem like they would fit right in with ease. 130+ IQs aside haha.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1 . Kasparov, Gary RUS : 2775
2 . Kramnik, Vladimir RUS : 2775
3 . Karpov, Anatoly RUS : 2770
4 . Ivanchuk, Vassily UKR : 2735
5 . Kamsky, Gata USA : 2735
6 . Anand, Viswanathan IND : 2725
7 . Gelfand, Boris BLR : 2700
8 . Topalov, Veselin BUL : 2700
9 . Shirov, Alexei ESP : 2690
10 . Polgar, Judit HUN : 2675
If we lived in a world where AI was not a factor (Did Kramnik get the Berlin defense idea from AI? Why didn't Kasparov switch to 1. d4?) and everyone was immortal, I think Fischer, Carlsen, and the players listed above would be the best. Without the dominance of the 3Ks, perhaps Ivanchuk would have been a WC. The rise of internet/speed chess is a good thing, because it makes it easier for people who have don't travel to compete. I won't be surprised to someday see the #17 speed chess player be someone who doesn't travel. I would like to see a variant become as popular as speed chess. A random factor would be good so people can't memorize the first 30 moves of Stockfish 13
(or whatever) and be able to compete at the highest levels. Carlsen is still only slightly past the halfway mark of Kasparov's record 15 year reign. Nepo has a fighting personality and a good record against Carlsen and that will help him psychologically against the king. Classical games: Ian Nepomniachtchi beat Magnus Carlsen 4 to 1, with 6 draws.

Last edited:

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Any YouTube videos for beginners people would recommend? Just got back into chess after 15+ years and want to get better. Any advice is welcome

Reactions: CasusBelli

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Any YouTube videos for beginners people would recommend? Just got back into chess after 15+ years and want to get better. Any advice is welcome

I'm not sure about specific instructional videos, as I haven't really used them myself, but I'd recommend consuming any chess videos/streams that you come across which interest you. When I first got back into chess a few years ago, perhaps the biggest aid to my improvement was watching grandmaster games live on Twitch with commentary. Even though I wasn't able to understand everything that was happening on the board, there were an incredible amount of fundamental concepts that they helped pound into my memory.

In that vein, if chess24 makes Youtube videos of their Champions Chess Tour coverage, that may be a good try to start for you. They do an excellent job of catering to all ratings (I'm currently watching their coverage on Twitch as I type). Most importantly though, if that type of instruction doesn't interest you, don't force it! There are a myriad of ways to learn.

As a beginner, I would recommend that you focus mostly on doing puzzles and playing games against other people. First and foremost, you want to recognize common tactics that happen in a lot of games, and puzzles are the best way to help learn that.

Going back over your games with an engine is very important too. And when you do, it isn't enough to see that a move was a mistake, you should try to understand why it was, and why another move was a stronger choice.

Starting out, play around with different openings and figure out what ones you enjoy the most. Eventually, you should try to specialize in a narrow repertoire, but that shouldn't be something to worry about yet.

But ultimately, have fun! Chess is a game, and you should approach it in a way that extracts as much joy as possible. If videos are a slog, or puzzles or analysis don't interest you; then focus on what draws you in the most. Enjoy!

Reactions: lilphildub

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Agreed with HD. www.chess.com offers puzzles, lessons, and playing against humans and AI. I'm also getting back into playing and like solid, positional openings that help control the center of the board such as the Queen's Gambit, the Slav, and the Caro-Kann. imho 1. d4 is best, because it's defended by the Queen and can also be defended by e3 which develops the bishop.

Chessable Masters QF: Le Shocks Aronian With Queen Sac Checkmate - Chess.com

"GM Le Quang Liem continues to surprise at the Chessable Masters. The Vietnamese grandmaster beat GM Levon Aronian 3-1 in the first semifinal match and played a spectacular game that included a queen sacrifice to force checkmate. In the other semifinal, GM Wesley So beat GM Vladislav Artemiev 2.5-1.5 with three draws and one win."

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad