TV: Chernobyl (HBO)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It is absolutely jaw dropping that they would allow the other reactors to keep on going without changing the fatal flaw after this happened.
I mean they should have done it right away but tbf the only way it could have happened again is through gross incompetence. Dyatlov did everything you can do wrong, wrong.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What's he saying?

"According to information we've just received, news agency Tass has told that at the nuclear plant in Tsernobilski (Soviet name back then) there has been an accident. It's located in Belarus, north of Kiev (Ukraine, Belarus, they were all part of the Soviet Union for us then). This is likely the reason for the high levels of radiation detected in several Nordic countries yesterday. According to Tass, there are casualties, they haven't reported numbers. Russian authorities have begun taking measures to limit the consequences of the accident." At the end there's a bit about a valve leakage at the Olkiluoto nuclear plant in Finland, which had been fixed.

Plus on the map you see the locations where the increased levels of radiation were detected. It was Finns and Swedes that reported then, Norway not so much.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Overall, people in Russia love the miniseries, which says something. On the other hand, most of watchers never lived in USSR or were too young to remember it. As a person, who remember USSR very well, I'd probably like to watch it and compare to reality, but I hate to watch TV and movies, heh.

Funny fact, back to then I was a Tomsk Univercity's student, and there was a story about people from Kiev (or Kyiv, like they spell it nowadays), who came to Tomsk right after the disaster. So they probably hoped to get a refuge from radiation there, but when they used their Geiger Counters, they found out, that radiation background was higher in Tomsk, than in Kiev.

Yeah, Tomsk was a major plutonium producer back to then...

I think this miniseries treats the people involved with the greatest respect or showcasing their human heroism, both their physical and social sacrifice in efforts to contain the damage and exposing the truth. If I were a Russian, I'd be very proud of the way the central characters displayed strength and courage to save people and discover the truth. People>>>system, in a way.

9½/10 for me for the whole series.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I was going to make a joke that the Russian version would be that the Americans caused it and 34 year old Vlad Putin took his shirt off and hugged the reactor core until it cooled down but it doesn't sound like that's a joke at all. Apparently that basically is what their version will be about.

You just made me blow my morning coffee out my nose. That hurt like hell - but this comment is hysterically funny. Nicely done.

Reactions: Jussi

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought the first two hours were great. They displayed an almost documentary-like realism. However, I got confused when the "story" kicked in because a lot didn't seem as plausible as it had before. So high points from me for Chernobyl generating tension and suspension, but I also found myself less involved the longer it went on.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the show, I think we can all agree that Jared Harris is one of the best actors on the circuit right now.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the show, I think we can all agree that Jared Harris is one of the best actors on the circuit right now.
I think this sho

The show is just awful, but I like some actors, including him. It could be much better.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
10 days until I visit the Exclusion Zone! Super pumped.

Read Roadside Picnic before you go. It's the basis for the creation of the Stalker movie and PC game series, as well as the inspiration for so much more, most notably the SCP series.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought the first two hours were great. They displayed an almost documentary-like realism. However, I got confused when the "story" kicked in because a lot didn't seem as plausible as it had before. So high points from me for Chernobyl generating tension and suspension, but I also found myself less involved the longer it went on.

Apart from going hyberbole on the potential effects of the meltdown. It wouldn't have affected that large an area.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Imagine being in the control rooms for the other reactors and having even less of an idea of what the hell just went wrong.

Yeah, even in a Soviet system, you'd think there'd be a bunch of people (starting with Gorbatchev) asking the obvious first question: why did this happen and how can we prevent it happening again in the numerous similiar plants?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, even in a Soviet system, you'd think there'd be a bunch of people (starting with Gorbatchev) asking the obvious first question: why did this happen and how can we prevent it happening again in the numerous similiar plants?

Nah, that's not how the Soviet system worked. Mistakes were a sign of weakness and so they had to be hidden. When they were hidden, they couldn't be learned from. There were nuclear accidents occurring in the 70s and 80s in the USSR that were exact repeats of earlier incidents, because nobody was able to learn from the prior mistakes.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Was also great in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows as Professor Moriarty as well as roles in Fringe and the Expanse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->