Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=101765

A day after blasting NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to the Detroit Free Press, Red Wings' defenceman Chris Chelios has come up with who he thinks is an ideal replacement.

''Right now I'd pick Wayne Gretzky,'' Chelios said on the James Brown Show on Sporting News Radio. ''The owners, the players have to respect his opinion. I've known Wayne forever, actually, and talked to him about this situation.''

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I mean, Gretzky's undisputed success with the Phoenix Coyotes (both financially and on the ice) warrants him to become the commish. Makes a lot of sense with yesterday's Chelios comments saying the league should cut a few teams in bad markets (like Gretzky's would cut the Phoenix Coyotes... makes sense!). Add to that the other owners would really be happy to have as a commish another "competitive" owner, yeah right.

What's next? Wirtz saying he wants Lemieux as NHLPA's president because he knows him well and thinks he'd do a better job than Goodenow? If Bettman has failed, so has Goodenow.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty sure owners will go to Chelios before any hiring is done. I'd pick Lemieux first because he's bigger.

degroat*

If the players would respect Wayne's opinion as the commissioner, then why don't they respect his opinion as an owner?

MacDaddy TLC*

I think Chris Chelios should be named King of Comedy. He consistently cracks me up. Sometimes he is hitting homeruns when he shoots from the lip, but it is so hard to take him seriously because he's such a screwball!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Chelios and JR should do some sort of TV Comedy Reality thing, where they portray Millionaires who get to shoot off and say anything they want anytime... wait now... :shakehead

I Hate You All*

Chris Chelios is more intelligent than the president of the United States of America!

I.am.ca

Staze19 said:
Chris Chelios is more intelligent than the president of the United States of America!

Sad thing is thats true.

Anyways, i'm not a huge Gretzky fan but i'd say he's the best thing for the NHL.

How does an American idiot like Bettman be able to display the passion of hockey when the moron hasn't ever played it pro. Wayne lives for hockey, he does a wicked job for Hockey Canada and yes his Coyotes aren't that great, but thats just his team and the cards he's dealt with money wise for the team.

Wayne would be the best candidate because he's been on both sides of the coin, has done an outstanding job with the Canadian Hockey Program and well he has the passion for the game to bring the NHL back to how it should be, strong and the best damn sports company in the world.

degroat*

I.am.ca said:
Sad thing is thats true.

Anyways, i'm not a huge Gretzky fan but i'd say he's the best thing for the NHL.

How does an American idiot like Bettman be able to display the passion of hockey when the moron hasn't ever played it pro. Wayne lives for hockey, he does a wicked job for Hockey Canada and yes his Coyotes aren't that great, but thats just his team and the cards he's dealt with money wise for the team.

Wayne would be the best candidate because he's been on both sides of the coin, has done an outstanding job with the Canadian Hockey Program and well he has the passion for the game to bring the NHL back to how it should be, strong and the best damn sports company in the world.

Did Paul Tagliabue play in the NFL?

Did David Stern play in the NBA?

Did Bud Selig play in the NBA?

No, No, & No.

It's unfortnate that you're blinded by your hatred of the United States, because this "American Idiot" has increased revenues by 160% in a decade. He increased national TV revenue from $17M per year to the $60M they would have gotten from ESPN plus whatever else they would have made off of the NBC deal this year. Attendance under his watch increased by 2,500 people per game.

Clearly your understanding of the job of the commissioner is lacking. It has nothing to do with passion and everything to do with being a strong businessman. The Canadian Idiot that you want as commissioner has never done a thing to suggest that he would be a good commissioner. Being a GM of Hockey Canada has nothing to do with being a commissioner, nor does being an owner.

Murphy*

BLONG7 said:
Chelios and JR should do some sort of TV Comedy Reality thing, where they portray Millionaires who get to shoot off and say anything they want anytime... wait now... :shakehead
They should try out for the presidency of the U.S.A. ....just kidding folks ;)

Kravitch

Gretz as the King? That could mean another Canadian team! This country deserves something nice from the league for a change!

HughJass*

Stich said:
Did Paul Tagliabue play in the NFL?

Did David Stern play in the NBA?

Did Bud Selig play in the NBA?

No, No, & No.

It's unfortnate that you're blinded by your hatred of the United States, because this "American Idiot" has increased revenues by 160% in a decade. He increased national TV revenue from $17M per year to the $60M they would have gotten from ESPN plus whatever else they would have made off of the NBC deal this year. Attendance under his watch increased by 2,500 people per game.

Clearly your understanding of the job of the commissioner is lacking. It has nothing to do with passion and everything to do with being a strong businessman. The Canadian Idiot that you want as commissioner has never done a thing to suggest that he would be a good commissioner. Being a GM of Hockey Canada has nothing to do with being a commissioner, nor does being an owner.

I agree with you 100% man. And I don't even like Bettman, nor Chelios. Nor Gretzky after his ridiculous comments during the last Winter Olympics.

The thing that bothers me is this: minus the Gretzky thing, does alot of NHL players feel the same way about the markets? I've been fretting over this for a long time, wondering if some Canes actually feel like they shouldn't even be playing in NC. I would think players who play for Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix, and other locales think it's great to grow a usually non-traditional hockey market, but I think other morons on other teams are blind. I still remember Scott Pellerin's body language the entire time he was here....

Anyhoot, in the end I still think Bettman will go down in history as a man who helped hockey immensely. Remember, this is from a guy who doesn't like Bettman.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
The opinion by any member of the NHLPA will never have impact on who management decides to have run its business. That's the way any unionized labour force operates. Period..

Chelios knows this. All he has suceeded in accomplishing by sharing his "opinion" is create more bad blood between the two sides.

Message to Chelios: Shut your yap. You're doing more harm to the game than good.

Message to Goodenow: Put a muzzle on your membership if you want this thing resolved sooner than later.

The NHLPA needs to conduct itself in a more professional manner if they want to to play NHL hockey anytime soon.

Go Flames Go*

Who is a CHris Chelios a peice of garbage hockey players, way past his days, not even gloy days because this peice of garbage has never had glory days. He needs to shut his mouth, and park his ego in his pocket. Maybe he needs Tortorella to give him a verbal ass whipping like he did to Kenny Hitchcock.

Oleg Saprykin made Chelios his *****, and thats enough to make him retire.

NHLPA is the most unprofessional association ever, and I thought Basketball players where bad.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Go Flames Go said:
Who is a CHris Chelios a peice of garbage hockey players, way past his days, not even gloy days because this peice of garbage has never had glory days. He needs to shut his mouth, and park his ego in his pocket. Maybe he needs Tortorella to give him a verbal ass whipping like he did to Kenny Hitchcock.

NHLPA is the most unprofessional association ever, and I thought Basketball players where bad.

You really need to stop holding in your feelings. Keeping your thoughts bottled up like that is going to cause you trouble later in life. :)

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
I for one am not on the Gretz for Commish bandwagon. The commissioner answers to the owners, and I don't think Gretzky could handle the amount of politics that comes with the commissioner's job. Yes, he put together teams for Hockey Canada, but he just answers to Bob Nicholson, and Nicholson respects him. As commish he'd deal with 30 owners/group owners that may not necessarily give a rat's ass that he's the holder of 61 NHL records. I'm not sure he'd be able to deal with this, and if he could, I'm not sure if he'd be willing to take that much time out of his life away from his family.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Go Flames Go said:

Exactly. Saprykin whose younger and stronger fixed Chelios.

Seeing that Chelios's biological hockey clock is running out, he vented out his frustration and did it inappropriately. Best thing if there's a long strike: Chelios is gone. It's now up to him if he wants to end his career with dignity or with his face in the mud.

By the way, there are a few more guys like Chelly, guys on the bubble whose careers are in their twilight or they are really just fringe/depth/role players. Wake up boys cause your services may no longer be required when this thing is resolved. The NHL has similarly skilled, younger and stronger guys ready to their mark from the AHL or other developmental leagues. And, more importantly, they're cheaper.

Bob Goodenow will lose 10-15% (probably a lot more) of his current membership if he doesn't get this resolved soon. Wake up call and it appears that the NHLPA won't to get the phone. They just don't get it.

Go Flames Go*

chara said:
Exactly. Saprykin whose younger and stronger fixed Chelios.

Seeing that Chelios's biological hockey clock is running out, he vented out his frustration and did it inappropriately. Best thing if there's a long strike: Chelios is gone. It's now up to him if he wants to end his career with dignity or with his face in the mud.

By the way, there are a few more guys like Chelly, guys on the bubble whose careers are in their twilight or they are really just fringe/depth/role players. Wake up boys cause your services may no longer be required when this thing is resolved. The NHL has similarly skilled, younger and stronger guys ready to their mark from the AHL or other developmental leagues. And, more importantly, they're cheaper.

Bob Goodenow will lose 10-15% (probably a lot more) of his current membership if he doesn't get this resolved soon. Wake up call and it appears that the NHLPA won't to get the phone. They just don't get it.

You my man are one of the smart ones here. Holla front.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
chara said:
The opinion by any member of the NHLPA will never have impact on who management decides to have run its business. That's the way any unionized labour force operates. Period..

Chelios knows this. All he has suceeded in accomplishing by sharing his "opinion" is create more bad blood between the two sides.

Message to Chelios: Shut your yap. You're doing more harm to the game than good.

Message to Goodenow: Put a muzzle on your membership if you want this thing resolved sooner than later.

The NHLPA needs to conduct itself in a more professional manner if they want to to play NHL hockey anytime soon.
message to chara - quit playing in europe robbing roster spots -

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Go Flames Go said:

nba'ers are heading for a lockout too -

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I wonder how Chelios' union buddies feel about him saying that 138 of them suck and shouldn't be in the NHL?

Too bad he didn't name which markets he thinks should be killed. That would have made things interesting when games resume.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
oilers_guy_eddie said:
I wonder how Chelios' union buddies feel about him saying that 138 of them suck and shouldn't be in the NHL?

Too bad he didn't name which markets he thinks should be killed. That would have made things interesting when games resume.
- sometimes the truth hurts -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->