Chelios and Tkachuk - sore losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Dan Galvin said:
Unfortunately it is the cool thing these days to be anti - American in almost any way, shape, and form. :shakehead
And in America it is always almost the cool thing to be Anti - French. Reap what you sow.

Reilly311

Chelios never shakes the hands of players he doesn't respect. As for Tkachuk spitting, someone had to do it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
bwahahah

MrMastodonFarm said:
And in America it is always almost the cool thing to be Anti - French. Reap what you sow.[/QU

It might have been 2 years ago....you're living in the past. America has forgotten the French, like a 10 second old fart.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Now onto the topic

Watch the Canadians turn when VN boards Marios from behind. He's dirty, and if I had to battle him the way he plays, might not shake his hand either.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
shanwon said:
MrMastodonFarm said:
And in America it is always almost the cool thing to be Anti - French. Reap what you sow.[/QU

It might have been 2 years ago....you're living in the past. America has forgotten the French, like a 10 second old fart.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Macman

May 15, 2004
quat said:
Not sure if this is news to you, but Canada is extremely anti-American.

It's news to me and I'm Canadian. Nothing like painting everyone with the same brush. I am anti-Bush administration and I think the majority of Canadians are, but does that make me anti-American? Nope, not at all. Hell, half the American population hates Bush. Am I anti-American hockey? You bet, but I hate all teams that play Canada.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Ok I'll judge now, all the canadians are like Bertuzzi..a from behind cheapshot artist who almost paralyzed another player...must mean that all canadians are like this :shakehead

Come on now...I dont believe this...and you shouldnt believe it either about americans. If its true which I highly doubt because its newsworthy and only one paper said something which is fishy...but if true dont judge us by a couple of meatheads...Its just crap...all of it. Judge a person by thier soul not thier nationality. America doesnt equal bad, its just a peice of named land. Judge as individuals, not a group.

Sammy*

burnlikestars said:
I say, unless you were there on the ice and you know what really happened, then shut your trap.
Geez, I guess no one can comment on anything according to you, unless of course they were there.
Thats just too rich.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
TheBigBadB said:
Ok I'll judge now, all the canadians are like Bertuzzi..a from behind cheapshot artist who almost paralyzed another player...must mean that all canadians are like this :shakehead

Come on now...I dont believe this...and you shouldnt believe it either about americans. If its true which I highly doubt because its newsworthy and only one paper said something which is fishy...but if true dont judge us by a couple of meatheads...Its just crap...all of it. Judge a person by thier soul not thier nationality. America doesnt equal bad, its just a peice of named land. Judge as individuals, not a group.

I don't think anybody is judging all Americans by the actions of Chelios and Tkachuk.

As for the rest of this thread, here's my drive-by:

-there certainly are Canadians who resent or dislike anything American. I think that's a fact. It's unfortunate, and is pretty unflattering to Canada as a whole.

-there are also Canadians who were pretty happy to see Team USA knocked out of the World Cup. In hockey, they're a rival. I don't see a problem here. When Canadians think of US hockey, they think of every Woody Paige article blasting Canadian cities, every time a US fan reminded us who won World Cup '96, Ron Wilson and his "1972 made Canadian hockey complacent" take, every "Woe Canada" article written by an American media guy after all the Canadian teams are knocked out of the playoffs. It's a sports rivalry. It doesn't mean anything outside the realm of sport.

-many people on both sides of the border have believed that Chelios and Tkachuk were buttholes long before they refused to shake Vile Niemenen's hand.

-yep, Niemenen's a punk too, and one of these days he's going to get it. Hopefully it's via a fair fight or a clean hit.

-yeah, lots of Canadians (and people all around the world for that matter) were happy to see the US men's basketball team flop at the Olympics. When you're a bad winner, people will remember it when you lose. Doesn't have much to do with hockey, though.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
so other than the poor sportsmanship, he's an ok guy in your book because he signed his hockey card for you?

Chelios is a "loser"?

great, thanks for weighing in.

gimme a break, i could form some delicious pun based on that word and the city you hail from, but what would be the point?

I never said Tkachuk was "okay". I obviously dislike him as an athlete, as a role model...same goes to Chelios. I've never sat down and talked to either of them so I can't tell you first hand if they're good guys or not, but from trashing hotel rooms - to holding out for money owners obviously don't have - to spitting on players etc etc - I'd say "loser" is a good word to describe them.

When you're a grown man making millions upon millions of dollars for playing a game you have a responsability. You owe respect to the fans and to your opponents. At least that's what I was taught growing up in Canada... and I never made a cent.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
You know what I find most ironic is that most people in the US wouldn't even know were Tkachuk and Chelios are, hence they wouldn't care if most Canadian hockey fans think they're sore losers.

Is even possible to have discussions on the World Cup board without most of the threads turning into some nationalistic ********? Tonight will probably be the last hockey game most people will see for awhile featuring NHL'ers, yet this pissing match continues.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
guinness said:
You know what I find most ironic is that most people in the US wouldn't even know were Tkachuk and Chelios are, hence they wouldn't care if most Canadian hockey fans think they're sore losers.

Is even possible to have discussions on the World Cup board without most of the threads turning into some nationalistic ********? Tonight will probably be the last hockey game most people will see for awhile featuring NHL'ers, yet this pissing match continues.

I'll see the next game featuring NHL'ers on friday!

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Macman said:
It's news to me and I'm Canadian. Nothing like painting everyone with the same brush. I am anti-Bush administration and I think the majority of Canadians are, but does that make me anti-American? Nope, not at all. Hell, half the American population hates Bush. Am I anti-American hockey? You bet, but I hate all teams that play Canada.

Actually, I find it to be quite the epidemic here. America-bashing with little to no substance to back it up. When you challenge the bashers, more likely than not you get the "cmon, they're so arrogant!" response. It really is sad.

chicpea*

kenabnrmal said:
Actually, I find it to be quite the epidemic here. America-bashing with little to no substance to back it up. When you challenge the bashers, more likely than not you get the "cmon, they're so arrogant!" response. It really is sad.
Maybe you should talk to some other people then. Look up the recent NAFTA rulings on google and report back to me. Look up BSE + borders while you're at it. Heck, look up Negroponte for an added bonus or Paul Cellucci rebuking us over Iraq (where we were right) and commenting how our social policies are ill-founded. Is it really so sad, or can your friends just not debate?

This thread is supposed to be about Chelios and Tkachuk, two jerks solidifying their reputations at the end of their careers; not anti-americanism, ill-reasoned or not.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
chicpea said:
Maybe you should talk to some other people then. Look up the recent NAFTA rulings on google and report back to me. Look up BSE + borders while you're at it. Heck, look up Negroponte for an added bonus or Paul Cellucci rebuking us over Iraq (where we were right) and commenting how our social policies are ill-founded. Is it really so sad, or can your friends just not debate?

This thread is supposed to be about Chelios and Tkachuk, two jerks solidifying their reputations at the end of their careers; not anti-americanism, ill-reasoned or not.

I probably should talk to some other people. Keep in mind I'm no fans of America's politics. Unfortunately, the average Canadian I speak to knows less about the above issues than I do (which is quite little), and is referring only to Americans on a personal basis. And thats where I draw my contempt, and yes, that is rather sad. Politically, you won't find me arguing too much with you, now or even once I get more informed. My beef is with Canadians using blanket statements to describe Americans on a personal level.

And you're right, the thread was supposed to be about those two individuals. I lobbied to get it back on course a page or so ago. Unfortunately, the thread's taken the turn and isn't likely to be rectified.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reilly311 said:
Chelios never shakes the hands of players he doesn't respect. As for Tkachuk spitting, someone had to do it.

You're singlehandedly making our country look like a bunch of idiots.

Please stop posting your drivel if it won't be something of substance.

And I do agree with RR about a lot of the anti-American BS posting here. There are way too many childish posters on this board as of late. I figured that the little boys going back to Elementary school would've caused some of our younger, animosity filled, pre-pubescent posters to crawl back in the hole they came from. There is so much anger here at these boards from some people that it makes a thread on this, which could've been an actual nice debate, turn into a shouting match about how Americans are poor losers and a lot of biased comments being thrown around (from both sides, as the above quote will show). But you really can't deny the obvious anti-American sentiment stemming from many a post here on these boards.

Bring back 2002. That would make me happy.

The argument on the spitting shouldn't even have happened. It was a very poorly translated newspaper article obviously since there was not even a mention of spitting IN it. But, as soon as it's heard that an American somehow does something stupid like that, everyone comes and jumps into the fray.

And anyone who defends someone for not shaking the hand of a known dirty player is dumb. But anyone who defended Bertuzzi even a bit for what he did was trying to give a better look on a bad thing that happened.

Hmm...

That might not be the best example, but at 3:40AM it's all I can think of. There is just so much ******** floating around these posts that its hard to read them anymore.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is the kind of story you get when papers have some extra space to fill in the sport sections.

EXTRA EXTRA! Small altercation after a hockey game. Read all about it!

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Macman said:

Well then I suggest you open your eyes and ears a little more to what's going on around you, because you would be very hard pressed to support any argument that doesn't support what I said. By far the majority of our news, be it print, tv or radio carries an anti-american bias. Want attention in the Canadain political arena? Slag the Americans or at least be seen as disagreeing with them. If you can't understand that when someone says "Canada" they are refering to a general zietgiest rather than a 100% consensus opinion, then maybe discussion is an area you'd want to concentrate on improving. It should be clear that I was generalizing and that you had no need to point out that you personally weren't anti-American...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
oilers_guy_eddie said:
I don't think anybody is judging all Americans by the actions of Chelios and Tkachuk.

As for the rest of this thread, here's my drive-by:

-there certainly are Canadians who resent or dislike anything American. I think that's a fact. It's unfortunate, and is pretty unflattering to Canada as a whole.

-there are also Canadians who were pretty happy to see Team USA knocked out of the World Cup. In hockey, they're a rival. I don't see a problem here. When Canadians think of US hockey, they think of every Woody Paige article blasting Canadian cities, every time a US fan reminded us who won World Cup '96, Ron Wilson and his "1972 made Canadian hockey complacent" take, every "Woe Canada" article written by an American media guy after all the Canadian teams are knocked out of the playoffs. It's a sports rivalry. It doesn't mean anything outside the realm of sport.

-many people on both sides of the border have believed that Chelios and Tkachuk were buttholes long before they refused to shake Vile Niemenen's hand.

-yep, Niemenen's a punk too, and one of these days he's going to get it. Hopefully it's via a fair fight or a clean hit.

-yeah, lots of Canadians (and people all around the world for that matter) were happy to see the US men's basketball team flop at the Olympics. When you're a bad winner, people will remember it when you lose. Doesn't have much to do with hockey, though.

Well said!

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
This thread has gone off topic. I suggest you continue your discussion about bush, anti-america, generalization etc etc and the political forum.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Garfield said:
Then you'd be a sore loser as well.

Exactly. After the final buzzer, win or lose, you must respect your opponent. Everyone expects things get dirty out there from time to time, it's the name of the game. Whether or not you feel like shaking someone's hand or not, as a highly paid athlete in the public eye, sometimes you have to have enough class to go through the motions in order to do what's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->