Chelios and Tkachuk - sore losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
No, what I'm saying is a badly translated Finnish recap of what happened isn't exactly a concrete source IMO. Yet what do we see around here? Two pages of threads filled with animosity towards Tkachuk, Chelios and the United States without knowing the whole story. That is WAY to common around here.
RR, what's curious though is the why. People can like or dislike who they want, but at what point did Tkaczuk or Chelios become representative of a country. Frankly I do it sometimes. I loved Chelios in Mtl., he, along with Roy carried the Habs thru the 80's, though it doesn't mean I have any respects for his off ice antics, which were legendary in those days. I don't think your athletes form your foreign policy so jumping on them seems unfair. It seems the country to the south, that in fact shares a lot of culture with us, isn't too popular with hockey fans to the north. I don't know, it seems kind of petty and a bit too easy to take a lot of the positions I'm seeing here. Most of Canada resents how national sports stories are presented from a Toronto point of view, I'm sure you've all seen examples on the board. From a sports fan pov, it's probably the same thing on a larger scale. Then again,what the hell do I know.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
as for the Pat Elyniuk [sp.?] fan, yes, i am very familiar with Tkachuk's tenure in Winnipeg... sure, he's like any other hockey player i ever met from Massachusetts--brash, competitive, and passionate about hockey.
i think Keith was unfairly thrown under the bus and made a convenient scapegoat for Selanne-worshipping teenyboppers who are still crying in their beer to this day that he got shipped off to the Ducks (not saying you are one of those people, but that seems to be the theme around Manitoba).
sure, Keith's a stat-whore and didn't produce in the postseason for Winnipeg, but bear in mind that his line was the only line a team needed to shut down in order to be successful against the Jets... let's face it, other than Zhamnov and some other inexperienced forwards (and Khabibulin), there really wasn't much of a supporting cast.
get off Tkachuk and Chelios's nutsacks.
i'm not being 'cryptic' as you call it, i'm just not willing to debase an entire city, or call it 'Loserpeg' or something assinine like that.
enough of the nationalist b.s., too, most canadians i know are tolerant and don't judge players/people based upon national origin.

Keep in mind that I do like Tkachuk. While Selanne was always my favorite and I was extremely furious to see him traded, I was one of the few Jets fans who supported Keith after the deal. I do think they dealt the wrong guy, but I still saw what Tkachuk brought to the team, and yeah, he was unfairly dealt with much of the time, by both the media and fans. He always brought 100% to the ice, and that garnered my respect. However, it wasn't just a matter of him being brash, competitive, and passionate. I had first-hand experience with the two faces of Tkachuk...the good, where he treated me myself and family members graciously and kindly on a few occasions and always made a point to make eye contact and wave to toddlers in the crowd during pre-game skates...and the bad, again first hand experience of him mouthing off to fans, and reliable second-hand accounts of his exploits in the Winnipeg night-life where he often acted like a complete and utter arse. Combine that with the fact that he signed a contract with another team, polarized the team and had to be stripped of his captaincy, and consistently took poor penalities much to the ire of the rather intelligent Jets fans, and you create the hard feelings Winnipeggers have for Tkachuk. I like the guy, but his rep. in Winnipeg is well-earned. He'll have my respect for being a great great hockey player, a charitable and loyal guy (to his friends...loyalty to his team is debateable), and a fierce competitor, but he's done more than enough over his career to bring this heat upon himself.

Chelios I have no comment on. I've never cared for his on-ice tactics, though he's undoubtedly one of the better d-men all-time. I don't have a solid line on his off-ice personalities, so I won't make the personal shots others are making. I don't have much affinity for the guy.

This thread is supposed to be about two players, not nation-bashing. That, in no uncertain terms, disgusts me. Its sad how many of us Canadians feel the need to continually bash Americans with faulty and ignorant stereotypes, and make ourselves look like immature, pathetic asses. Get some pride in yourself instead of feeling the need to tear down our neighbours to make yourself feel more pride. We have a great country with great people, and yes, some great neighbours.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
LOL...Tkachuk and especially Chelios are two of the dirtiest players you can find.

This shouldn't surprise anybody, whatever it is they did.

Raipe

May 25, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I, which is kind of ironic since this is an American site.

nice attitude.Thats an american cockyness..You cant give critic to american players because this is an american based web site. :banana:

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
I call a spade a spade. If an American acts like a jerk, he's a jerk. My problem is when people generalize and spout off about stuff they have no idea what they're talking about, and worse have little concrete information to support. I have no problems with Canada, or Canadians in general. It's a few people around here that get on my nerves.
Funny, cause your the guy who generalizes all the time about Canadian hockey fans. But I guess thats ok, cause your the guy doin it.
Insofar as calling a spade a spade, any reason why there is no shovel work concerning Tkaczuk?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raipe

May 25, 2004
Patrick said:
Is RR a USA hockey player?

If not then you just proved his point and disproved yours.

I was wrong ,i admit it. Keith Tkachuk is real gentleman and very nice person and i will never critize american player ever again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Funny, cause your the guy who generalizes all the time about Canadian hockey fans. But I guess thats ok, cause your the guy doin it.
Insofar as calling a spade a spade, any reason why there is no shovel work concerning Tkaczuk?

How do I generalize? Please cite some examples. If I come across that way I apologize, I just get sick and tired of several of the Canadian posters here who go off on the United States, Americans, and American hockey based on false or misleading information. As for Tkachuk, if he in fact spat on another player, he deserves to be vilified. If he's a royal ***** off the ice, he deserves heaps of ill repute. If he acts like a smug SOB to the media, lampoon him. I don't care, just make sure you have you're facts straight and don't jump to conclusions.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
That about sums up the mindset of many on this board.

Take it easy, we all know Tkachuk & Chelios have a history for being sore losers. If anyone on Team Canada acted like those two clowns, I'd be embarrased.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garfield said:
Take it easy, we all know Tkachuk & Chelios have a history for being sore losers. If anyone on Team Canada acted like those two clowns, I'd be embarrased.

I think alot of players have a history of being jack-offs, but it just so happens being American opens up Tkachuk and Chelios to further criticism. If that's how some people get their jollies, so be it.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think alot of players have a history of being jack-offs, but it just so happens being American opens up Tkachuk and Chelios to further criticism. If that's how some people get their jollies, so be it.

We are talking about guys that were being jack-offs a couple days ago. It would be nice to include all jack-offs from the past but this for World Cup discussion and Tkachuk & Chelios are the only 2 players being jack-offs. Being Americans has nothing to do with it.

If it were Russians, Canadians, Czechs, Finns, Swedes, Slovaks, Germans, it doesn't matter, they would still be sore losers.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This also has nothing to do with being sore losers either. If they skipped the handshakes altogether, then yes, that would be the case, but they singled out Nieminen. I hardly see that being a sore loser seeing as Ville more than likely deserved much worse than the lack of a handshake.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
i honestly would like to know, why is there such anti-american hostility on this board?
my two best friends in the world are from Montreal and Sudbury, respectively, i've been to Canada to visit and for hockey tournaments many times over the years and have never received more than a light-hearted ribbing for my national origin, team loyalties, et al, but one disagreement and this place becomes a neo-patriotic cess pool.
but unlike some, i won't judge an entire province or nation based upon some myopic, narrow-minded people.
it's like you can't wait for someone american-born to screw up so you can jump all over them...
why the animosity?

i love hockey, i'd watch just about any match-up, it's not about some perceived national pride.
wtf?

lighthearted, competitive discourse is one thing, but a couple of you are just so played out with this whole canadian/u.s. thing, get over it.

Not sure if this is news to you, but Canada is extremely anti-American. Obviously size and location have a lot to do with this, but I am always embarrassed by how sniveling Canadians get about the States. It doesn't have to be this way, but opposing Americans in any way possible seems to make Canadians feel better about themselves. Sure there are lots of valid things we Canadians have to complain about, like some serious crack-head trade practices, but all the important stuff gets lost in the huge, younger, smaller brother whine that fills the news and now actually defines us. Sad.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

quat said:
Not sure if this is news to you, but Canada is extremely anti-American. Obviously size and location have a lot to do with this, but I am always embarrassed by how sniveling Canadians get about the States. It doesn't have to be this way, but opposing Americans in any way possible seems to make Canadians feel better about themselves. Sure there are lots of valid things we Canadians have to complain about, like some serious crack-head trade practices, but all the important stuff gets lost in the huge, younger, smaller brother whine that fills the news and now actually defines us. Sad.

it's not news to me, but i was a bit surprised as i got older and witnessed how resentful some [not most, but a few] Canadians were about being confused for being American...they were very quick to clairfy their nationalism (as if one needs to apologize for being American these or any days)...
i'm not an average U.S. citizen, i know this, i like hockey MORE than the next guy and in my oblivious lust for the sport, just assumed that 'you're ok, we're ok', and didn't see the schism until much later in life... have been asked multiple times by people if i am from Canada, but i sure didn't get into a snit about it.
it's a shame, because in the U.S., there seems to be a preponderance of foreigners across the board who make a decent life for themselves here, reap the benefits of an education/trade and life in this country (which is great, IMO, i feel fortunate), have a family here but seem so despicably obtuse about this America because of its politics and foreign policy.
it's hypocritical, and i notice it even more because my wife is originally from Japan, came to the U.S. originally on a work visa, and she is THE most patriotic person i have ever known, by a long shot... from her families perspective, they feel a great deal of affinity for a country that allows them the opportunities we have here.

conversely, i can understand some of the hard feelings, i mean, i think a lot of people here in Calif are a bunch of knuckleheads, with the ignorant redneck Nascar hicks almost as nauseating as the hip-hop A-hole culture.

in closing, no matter what some of you think of us, i love Canada, love Canadians, and am eternally grateful for your country bringing us all the best sport in the world.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Fish on The Sand said:
This also has nothing to do with being sore losers either. If they skipped the handshakes altogether, then yes, that would be the case, but they singled out Nieminen. I hardly see that being a sore loser seeing as Ville more than likely deserved much worse than the lack of a handshake.

So now this is Nieminen's fault ?? Unbelievable. :shakehead

This has everything to do with being sore losers IMO.

Usually sore losers take it out on one player. Just because he didn't try to jump the whole Team Finland, that doesn't mean he isn't a sore loser. He took it out on the player he dislikes the most on Finland. That's usually how it works with sore losers.

Last edited:

Mountain Dude

Fish on The Sand said:

Yeah, like either of those players have any room to talk, Tkatchuk was the dirtiest player in the tournament.

Talk about being able to dish it out, yet not take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->