Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Jussi said:
According to an story in Finnish newspaper Kaleva, after the Finland -Usa game Chelios refused to shake hands with Nieminen and Tkachuk did something to Nieminen that almost caused a fight. :amazed: There's talk of Tkachuk spitting at Ville's face, but the article doesn't mention that, just a vague reference which I can't translate: Here's the story (sorry, in Finnish):http://www.kaleva.fi/cf/juttu.cfm?j=429103

That's because Nieminen nailed Chelios really hard in the nose and wasn't penalized on the play.

BCCHL inactive

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't condone spitting and what not, but let's not kid ourselves here, this was a bitter battle fought to the very end by athletes that are on the edge. I'm not suprised if foul play ensued at the end.

I'm not saying it did or didn't happen in this case, but on the edge or not, spitting is never a forgiveable and/or understandable act in any situation.

It is the ultimate insult.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
This is silly. If a player actually spit at another player during the handshake, don't you think things would have erupted? They're just going to continue to skate on and shake hands? I doubt it happened.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
so other than the poor sportsmanship, he's an ok guy in your book because he signed his hockey card for you?

Chelios is a "loser"?

great, thanks for weighing in.

gimme a break, i could form some delicious pun based on that word and the city you hail from, but what would be the point?
Not too sure how familiar you are with Tkachuk's Winnipeg days, but you won't find too many big fans of his off-the-ice antics while here. He acted like a spoiled brat and a downright jerk much of the time he spent here. Personally, I liked the guy, and who the hell knows what happened in this situation. However, as much as i do like him, Winnipeggers' distaste for him is from first-hand experience and their complaints are well-founded.

Good job keeping your delicious, yet likely uninformed "puns" to yourself.

Mountain Dude

Dolemite said:
That's because Nieminen nailed Chelios really hard in the nose and wasn't penalized on the play.

That was Ossi Vannanan.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Dec 4, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site
I doubt he spit. Someone on team Finland would have done something that would have caught the attention of reporters if he did. Starting a brawl to stick up for him or making a big deal out of it in post game interviews. I just find it really hard to believe that everyone on the ice is gonna let him get away with spitting.

SopelFan*

If anyone touched Niemenen, Jarrko Ruutu would have slapped on ankle lock on them so fast.

Phanuthier*

Knucklez said:
Tkachuck and Chelios should stop taking it out on poor Niemenin and go back to the only thing they're good at: trashing hotel rooms.
Definately ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Knucklez said:
Tkachuck and Chelios should stop taking it out on poor Niemenin and go back to the only thing they're good at: trashing hotel rooms.

Amen, brother! lol Oh and a message for Tkachuk: You guys were OLD, not experienced, OLD!

Hanson Brothers

Mar 9, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I have followed Chelios' and Tkachuk's careers for a long time and as much as I like them on the ice, I have to say that they really should not call themselves as athletes if these accusations are correct. It's quite unbeliveable that these players are payed millions of dollars and yet they act like they were 5 or 6 year olds. Surely it sucks to lose to a team that comes from a nation of 5 million people, but when you lose, accept it and give credit to whom it belongs. If in professional tennis someone would not shake hands after the match, he or she would be suspended for some time. I think same kind of system should be in place in hockey. And to put this shortly:

Chris Chelios and Keith Tkachuk - you are a disgrace to American sports and hockey!

Ps. Nieminen IS a great agitator. This just proves that he did his job perfectly...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
so other than the poor sportsmanship, he's an ok guy in your book because he signed his hockey card for you?

Chelios is a "loser"?

great, thanks for weighing in.

gimme a break, i could form some delicious pun based on that word and the city you hail from, but what would be the point?

what does this post even mean ? and a yashin fan to boot...

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
There's nothing about Tkachuk spitting in the original Finnish article. Literally, the article says that after the match Chelios wouldn't shake hands with Nieminen and Tkachuk even "sneezed" his nose during handshaking which led into an altercation between the players.

So Keef shoved his mitt at Ville's face. No classy behaviour that's for sure, but a far cry from spitting. Just another piece of good sportmanship Tkachuk-style, nothing worse. Chill out, everyone.

As for Nieminen, his comments were (and I quote): "At least there's no need to wonder why St Louis never make it. Chelios in turn showed what a sore loser he is." Never one to shy away from controversy, our Ville. :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
broman said:
There's nothing about Tkachuk spitting in the original Finnish article. Literally, the article says that after the match Chelios wouldn't shake hands with Nieminen and Tkachuk even "sneezed" his nose during handshaking which led into an altercation between the players.

So Keef shoved his mitt at Ville's face. No classy behaviour that's for sure, but a far cry from spitting. Just another piece of good sportmanship Tkachuk-style, nothing worse. Chill out, everyone.

As for Nieminen, his comments were (and I quote): "At least there's no need to wonder why St Louis never make it. Chelios in turn showed what a sore loser he is." Never one to shy away from controversy, our Ville. :D

Yeah, the correct term was "face washing". The spitting talk came from a jatkoaika.com poster who posted that link there in the first place. He said that he read about the spitting from another North American message board.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jussi said:
Yeah, the correct term was "face washing". The spitting talk came from a jatkoaika.com poster who posted that link there in the first place. He said that he read about the spitting from another North American message board.

So in other words, everyone jumped the gun on the "spitting" angle and because of pre-concieved biases ran with it without credible evidence to support such a position? Yeah, that never happens here at Hockey's Future..... :shakehead

Raipe

May 25, 2004
I am not suprised ,i think its normal american ****** behaviour.Cocky *******s :teach:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Raipe said:
I am not suprised ,i think its normal american ****** behaviour.Cocky *******s :teach:

Yeah, Americans have the market cornered on boorish behavior.... :shakehead This site is pretty pathetic sometimes.

Last edited:

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
fullmetalninja said:
Ville is a great guy, according to everyone he plays with. The difference is, if you are a Euro- aggitator it is somehow chicken ****. If you are a NA aggitator you'll do "whatever it takes to win".

The only double standard, when it comes to agitators, is what shirt they're wearing. If an agitator is on your team, he's "doing whatever it takes to win". If he's on the other team, he's chicken ****.

Read any thread about Darcy Tucker, Steve Avery, Tyson Nash, or The COOKERMAN~~! and you'll see the same pattern as with Niemanen or Jarkko.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Hanson Brothers said:
It's quite unbeliveable that these players are payed millions of dollars and yet they act like they were 5 or 6 year olds.

Disgusting? Yes. Unbelieveable? No. Not at all, unfortunately. The real miracle is that any of the players have class at all. Anybody with serious talent was probably coddled since they were 8 years old, parents/coaches/teachers more then happy to explain away and justify any trouble they got into.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, Americans have the market cornered on boorish behavior.... :shakehead This site is pretty pathetic sometimes.

:handclap: People have to let go of their nationalistic biases. I'm Canadian through & through, but jerks exist in all countries. Anyone who is defending the spotless white linen of Canadian hockey should go take another look at the Summit Series and see how they can justify some of the Canadian team's actions (Do a google on ankles & Valeri Kharlamov)

I'm getting pretty tired of these cheap shot comments thrown into any/every thread about trashing hotel rooms and the like. Let it go. I guarantee you if it had been the Canadians that had got rowdy after an unexpectedly early exit, all we would have heard about was "The Canadians were so frustrated and wanted to win so badly, they needed to releave some stress, it just goes to show how important the tournament was to these players"

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another clarification on Tkachuk's behaviour from Aamulehti. Apparently he grabbed Nieminen's jersey and said something (according to Nimo: "the usual yankee crap") and (I assume) gave a little face washing.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
As much as I agree with you on this, this is all kinda amusing coming from you given your prediliction to couch virtually issue into something surrounding nationality.
And oh, btw, Tkachuk is a !@#$%^, so this if true is hardly out of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->