Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Hey, if it's one thing this team needs, it's high shooting%. I rather have Foegele, who showed that he can score, on the ice than Nordy, who whiffs on everything.

Also, why not bring up players to see what they have in them? Not all players play great in the AHL before playing great in the NHL. Both Slavin and Pesce are good examples of that. Neither of them was the star down there (even though they didn't play much in Charlotte) but exceeded when they joined Canes. Why can't that happen with some of the guys down in Charlotte now? Sure, there will be players that will not be ready to take the step, but we will never know until we've given them the chance.

Also, you need to put them in a position to succeed. Not a 4th line role a la Boychuk.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Foegele plays now on the 3rd line in Charlotte. He's got much more of a scoring touch than even I thought. However, and this is a net positive in my mind. He scores a lot of goals in relatively tight, accurately banging in rebounds and passes down low. He's got size and speed. Of all the guys in Charlotte right now he, Zykov, and Saarela all deserve a look see.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey, if it's one thing this team needs, it's high shooting%. I rather have Foegele, who showed that he can score, on the ice than Nordy, who whiffs on everything.

Also, why not bring up players to see what they have in them? Not all players play great in the AHL before playing great in the NHL. Both Slavin and Pesce are good examples of that. Neither of them was the star down there (even though they didn't play much in Charlotte) but exceeded when they joined Canes. Why can't that happen with some of the guys down in Charlotte now? Sure, there will be players that will not be ready to take the step, but we will never know until we've given them the chance.

Also, you need to put them in a position to succeed. Not a 4th line role a la Boychuk.

This narrative needs to die. Boychuk (and Dalpe, and Bowman) got plenty of chances in the top 6, only for us to find out that they weren't top 6 players. In fact, they aren't even NHL players. Also, if Peters has shown anything in his time here, it's that he's not afraid to put young guys in spots they deserve and positions to succeed. Aho, Slavin, Pesce, McGinn, Hanifin, Fleury are all examples of that.

Foegele is probably going to only be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL, so if they call him up, that's where they likely will and definitely should play him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd like to see any of Wallmark, Zykov, Saarela and Foegel get a chance. Nordstrom, while having good speed and decent on the PK, isn't adding anything. Stempniak has always been a bit streaky, but has done very little since coming back from injury. PDG has probably played the best of them in the past week or so, but doesn't hurt to try 1 or 2 of these guys.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I assume you didn't mention Wallmark because it's a foregone conclusion he belongs up here?

....and because we've seen Wallmark up here and he's acquitted himself pretty well. I'm not sure that we'd experience too much of a drop off replacing Ryan w/Wallmark, but right now, I'd like to see Foegele on the 4th line and at least one of Stempniak and/or PDG replaced by one of Saarela or Zykov. I just don't feel like the risk is that great. It's not like we're crushing it in our push for the playoffs...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
....and because we've seen Wallmark up here and he's acquitted himself pretty well. I'm not sure that we'd experience too much of a drop off replacing Ryan w/Wallmark, but right now, I'd like to see Foegele on the 4th line and at least one of Stempniak and/or PDG replaced by one of Saarela or Zykov. I just don't feel like the risk is that great. It's not like we're crushing it in our push for the playoffs...

Wallmark is up. We'll see if he plays tomorrow. And I'm 100% with you. I'm having a hard time seeing any way Foegele/Saarela/Zykov can't improve the Nordstrom/Ryan/DiGiuseppe spots in the lineup.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
No reason to bring up Zykov. I'm dead certain that his shooting percentage of 27.2% (!!!) over 48 games (!!!!) is merely a deception of sample size, and there's zero chance that he would be better than All-Star Lee Stempniak.

(Note that's actually lower than his NHL shooting percentage of 33.3% -- 1 goal, 3 shots)

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
A0750E4E-EEBC-40ED-B530-A2873B6B030A.jpeg

Andrew Miller hurt

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Why would I take Zykov over Stempniak - bigger body, not afraid to go in front of the net, has a scoring touch (I know that shooting percentage is not sustainable), not afraid to go in dirty areas and work to get the puck.

And when he was called up last time, he actually looked pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->