Cheap Wingers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yamamoto will make the team out of camp... wether its a good thing or not, you just know its gonna happen.
doesnt mean that we wont need another winger or 2 on the team.

Banking on Pulju, Yama, Rattie on top of Caggiula\Lucic\Kassian\Aberg would be suicide.

Reactions: McFlash97

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A cheap add for the wings, what about Matt Belesky? He's currently only a $1.9M cap hit for the next couple years, veteran winger who can score a little. Would likely be a very cheap add.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A cheap add for the wings, what about Matt Belesky? He's currently only a $1.9M cap hit for the next couple years, veteran winger who can score a little. Would likely be a very cheap add.
He hasn't been the same since his knee injury. He's not even producing in the AHL.

If NYR was willing to eat another 950k off of that contract (if it's legally possible) I wouldn't be opposed because he'd be a good veteran AHL guy at the very worst, but at $1.9, he's taking up valuable cap dollars.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yamamoto will make the team out of camp... wether its a good thing or not, you just know its gonna happen.
With the likelihood of the expansion draft occurring two years from now, there might be a reason to hold off on Yamamoto's rookie season unless he forces their hand.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He’ll count as a year towards the expansion draft whether he plays in the AHL or NHL.
Yup, and he would be exempt anyways unless the draft doesn't happen until 2021, which is unlikely being the year before the CBA expires (in my opinion). Year 1 is 2020 for Seattle or not until after the next CBA as I doubt the league would want the risk of a lockout after an inaugural season for an expansion team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yup, and he would be exempt anyways unless the draft doesn't happen until 2021, which is unlikely being the year before the CBA expires (in my opinion). Year 1 is 2020 for Seattle or not until after the next CBA as I doubt the league would want the risk of a lockout after an inaugural season for an expansion team.

I do not see the NHL expanding till the get new CBA

announce new team--have draft--lose a year?

Reactions: MessierII

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe I'm naive but I don't think we'll have a lockout again. NHL is booming... revenues up every year... players are getting richer than ever.

Not saying the next CBA will just be a rubber stamp process without any negotiations but I can't see them losing any games this time around. I bet it will go much smoother this time and all parties will get the next CBA settled quickly without many major issues.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Maybe I'm naive but I don't think we'll have a lockout again. NHL is booming... revenues up every year... players are getting richer than ever.

Not saying the next CBA will just be a rubber stamp process without any negotiations but I can't see them losing any games this time around. I bet it will go much smoother this time and all parties will get the next CBA settled quickly without many major issues.

The cap, along with players pay, has doubled since the CBA was signed. You are only naive if they are stupid.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Trying to think of some cheap wingers that the oilers can add this summer. Feel free to add to the list. I listed what they made last year.

Nuge-McDavid- ? or rattie
? - Drai - ?
Lucic - strome- JP
Caggula-Khaira-Kassian
Aberg

Vanek - UFA - $2.5mil
Yakupov -RFA- $875k
Tkachev -unkown ?
Andres Anthanasiou - RFA -$1.39mil
Grabner - UFA - $1.65mil
Stafford - UFA -$800k
Kovalchuk - unkn0wn ?

blech ! even with a couple more "cheap" wingers, that lineup isn't a playoff team ! and LOL at Yakupov and Tkachev ! Oilers even had a chance to take Tkachev at the draft the year MacT and his cast of boobs tried to sign him not knowing he wasn't eligible and not only did they pass but the entire league passed on him too!

i think what might logically happen is the Oilers will go hard after Grabner as a UFA and also hard after Athanasiou in Detroit and perhaps that's about it. underwhelms me to be honest ! let's just hope Chia doesn't gift Detroit our likely #9 for just AA and not much else. if he does he should be fired on the spot !!

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
With the likelihood of the expansion draft occurring two years from now, there might be a reason to hold off on Yamamoto's rookie season unless he forces their hand.

The Oilers won't "hold off" keeping Yam off the roster because of an expansion draft. If Yam makes the team next year he stays end of story .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd have time for Vanek, though Hansen and someone like Winnik would be my first choices for wingers.

I honestly think you could get more offence out of guys like Kassian if you take them out the shutdown role. (And into the role Cammy filled this season)

RNH-McDavid-Hansen*
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Aberg/Slepy/Rattie
Winnik-T.Mitchell-Kassian

*If Rattie can look good here, so can most any 3rd wheel that has speed and a bit of talent.

The backend is the annoying one, as when healthy I still like the look of it...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Bear
Benning

Ideally you upgrade on Bear with an established offensive option (So not a guy with worse offence like Benning or Gryba), but I can live with him there so long he has proper insulation.

The main problem is I don't trust the Oil and their medical staff to not botch Sekera and Klefbom's recovery...

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
honest question. how would the oilers be able to afford him? I don't think they can. you're more likely going to see him with the rangers or on a team like calgary that can pay him 6 million per year.

I also think he's a big question mark in terms of how effective he's going to be. He's 35 and hasn't played in the league in 5 years. If anything, the league has gotten faster and tighter since then. I'd be extremely wary of signing him for much (both dollars and term).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
doesnt mean that we wont need another winger or 2 on the team.

Banking on Pulju, Yama, Rattie on top of Caggiula\Lucic\Kassian\Aberg would be suicide.
Banking on those players this year almost worked, wouldn’t be surprised it they tried to again

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Trying to think of some cheap wingers that the oilers can add this summer. Feel free to add to the list. I listed what they made last year.

Nuge-McDavid- ? or rattie
? - Drai - ?
Lucic - strome- JP
Caggula-Khaira-Kassian
Aberg

Vanek - UFA - $2.5mil
Yakupov -RFA- $875k
Tkachev -unkown ?
Andres Anthanasiou - RFA -$1.39mil
Grabner - UFA - $1.65mil
Stafford - UFA -$800k
Kovalchuk - unkn0wn ?
-I have time for Vanek, but he has to be cheap, too one dimensional to pay him equal to what his production would normally entail.
-Yakupov is a ship that I think has sailed, no interest going back that direction as of yet.
-Tkachev- 110% onboard, might need one more year in Russia to make a fairly seamless transition to the NHL, but a good gamble he can handle some offensive minutes
-Athanasiou- not convinced Detroit wants to move him despite playing hard ball contract wise, but year I'd welcome him in open arms.
-Grabner- pushed for him big time in the past, completely want to pass on him now, most likely individual to be overpaid relative to what he brings IMO.
-Stafford- not at all impressed with my most recent viewings of him, would pass rather easily.
-Kovalchuk- from what I read he wants to be out east and wants $6M per, not a cheap option and not a realistic option.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tkachyov is an interesting prospect but I believe he's signed for another season with Salavat Yulaev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad