Cheap Wingers

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We have enough tweener-type wingers. No more Ty Ratties needed. Time to make a splash and get it right this time. A legit trigger-man .....

Kovalchuk or bust!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
22 games in the last two season screams done.

Why would he try and come back? Hopefully he doesn't need the money.
PTO to push the kids during pre-season and then sign+retire ,,

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alexander Khokhlachev is a former Chia draftee with around a PPG in the KHL and is a free agent. Rights are still held by Boston but he can be had for a 3rd/4th I reckon. With NHL equivalent translations, he’s good for 63 points in 82 games at best. He would be a very good bet.
With his old coach Bruce Cassidy in charge in Boston now, I think he might just re-sign with the Bruins at this point in time. There's plenty of opportunity for him to make a Panarin-like entrance in Boston next season with the talent they have currently and the need for an influx of young entry-level talent.

Honestly though, looking at the situation, I'd be surprised if Austin Czarnik didn't sign here on July 1st.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was thinking cheap as in $$$ and easy to acquire, not costing anything than a 3rd rounder. More stop gap players on 1 or 2 year deals so the Oilers don't have to rush players into the NHL like previous seasons.
Stop gap players like Cammy and Jokinen? Those type of players do nothing for us and take a spot from a potential long term main stay. Id rather see them pick up more players like Aberg, Rattie etc. Players who would probably play better than some bargain bin UFA at the end of his career and has potential to stick with the club and be a long term solution.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I still the team to look at Blake Comeau. He's hardly a top-6 guys, but skates well, can play defense and chips in. Might make a nice depth add.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yakupov has been dead silent sitting on the sidelines in Colorado and St Louis during their runs. If he was committed to improving his pro game and felt Edmonton was a safe place for him to do so, there's no reason why he'd be any worse a thirteenth forward than the likes of what we ran with this season.

re: Bolded I'm certain he doesn't feel that way, lol. But otherwise I agree. He's got talent somewhere in there, though if I were him I'd go back to Russia and work on his game, maybe eye a return later once he's actually established himself a bit. I don't think bouncing around as 13th forward is going to work for a guy who seems to struggle with confidence and adapting to a coach's demands.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I would try targeting young players not getting playing time with other clubs, but still putting up some results when they do.

Sprong, Ho-Sang as examples.

I'm not saying those are the two wingers we SHOULD go or what those two are realistic, but in the realm of what I mean.

Not a fan of Ho-Sang due to the repeated issues he's had with every coach/org he's worked with, but Sprong is an interesting choice. Despite early reports of attitude issues in Jrs, there hasn't been a single complaint about his work ethic in Pittsburgh. He's been sent down repeatedly when he looked like he belonged in the NHL as at least a third liner, and hasn't pouted/let it set him back at all (unlike many other prospects, including Yamamoto). I'm not sure the Pens want to let him go though. Seems like they're trying to forge another top liner by forcing him to play so well he unquestioningly seizes a spot.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd like to see them take a run at athansiou or domi. I dont know what it would cost though. Might not be worth it.

Reactions: Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
re: Bolded I'm certain he doesn't feel that way, lol. But otherwise I agree. He's got talent somewhere in there, though if I were him I'd go back to Russia and work on his game, maybe eye a return later once he's actually established himself a bit. I don't think bouncing around as 13th forward is going to work for a guy who seems to struggle with confidence and adapting to a coach's demands.

I just feel like Yakupov has never tried to expand his game. I like the kid, I think hes a good person, but he just seems too stubborn to change. I agree with you, he would be better going back to Russia.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I just feel like Yakupov has never tried to expand his game. I like the kid, I think hes a good person, but he just seems too stubborn to change. I agree with you, he would be better going back to Russia.

I think he's probably done unless he really lucks out and finds a coach that works for him. I suspect that his poor experience here has led him to really question NHL coaches in general and that's no way to develop as a player or get playing time.

It's too bad he couldn't build on his success earlier in the season with Colorado. They were using him as a pretty good one timer option but then he hit a patch of missing the net and/or fumbling the puck and he hasn't really seen the ice since.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I believe Julius Junttila from the FEL could be worth a try.

The last time he played in the FEL he was a part of the best line of the league, and now that he got back he's taken another step. He was selected the best player of the league and he's the fastest skater in the league, if not all of Europe.

He wasn't nearly as good in the Olympics, but there's a pretty good chance he could become a reliable, speedy 3rd (or 4th) line winger in the NHL.

52 points (13+39) in 53 games, +26
11 points (6+5) in 14 playoff games, +8

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I believe Julius Junttila from the FEL could be worth a try.

The last time he played in the FEL he was a part of the best line of the league, and now that he got back he's taken another step. He was selected the best player of the league and he's the fastest skater in the league, if not all of Europe.

He wasn't nearly as good in the Olympics, but there's a pretty good chance he could become a reliable, speedy 3rd (or 4th) line winger in the NHL.

52 points (13+39) in 53 games, +26
11 points (6+5) in 14 playoff games, +8
Gene would certainly be on-board with a Julius wearing the orange jersey.

Reactions: bone

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Lmao @ Yakupov.

also laughing at Kovalchuk perhaps being cheap.

the biggest laugh is the suggestion of Hemsky.
he's been done as a player for years, and going forward would likely cower in fear if anyone skated too close to him.

i'd take Yak back 10 times out of 10 if at gunpoint I had to choose between him or hemsky.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Lmao @ Yakupov.
If his RFA status didn't cost anything to acquire his rights I'd still take a 875K flyer on him. He's speedy, proved to get at least a few points with mcD, has a grittiness in his game and was a number one pick. Maybe the oil could work a reclamation project and fix what they broke.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still the team to look at Blake Comeau. He's hardly a top-6 guys, but skates well, can play defense and chips in. Might make a nice depth add.

I've always had time for Comeau. RH shot, fast and physical. The problem is that he likely would cost us Kassian money.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We have enough tweener-type wingers. No more Ty Ratties needed. Time to make a splash and get it right this time. A legit trigger-man .....

Kovalchuk or bust!

honest question. how would the oilers be able to afford him? I don't think they can. you're more likely going to see him with the rangers or on a team like calgary that can pay him 6 million per year.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Yamamoto will make the team out of camp... wether its a good thing or not, you just know its gonna happen.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I would he down for either Vanek or Athanasiou.

They are very different players though so it would depend what the coach has planned. Andreas has speed and hands though that might be pretty cool with McDavid.
Nuge-Connor- Andreas/Ty
Yam/Pul
-Leon-Grabner
Lucic-Derek Ryan-Khaira
Kassian- Caggiula - Brian Gibbons

Draft a young stud Defenseman, Try to get Mike Green this offseason

Roll with as top 4
Larsson
Green
Klefbom(Healthy)
Nurse

The season after bring in the young stud dman to learn from these guys

Additions:

B. Gibbons
A. Athanasiou(Possible)
Mike Green
Derek Ryan
M. Grabner

Team speed increases tremendously yet still keeping the core intact. Get rid of some dead weight in salary including Sekera find good defensive good skating defensemen 5 to 7. Possibly from within.

Where do I apply for Chiarellis job.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Kovalchuk or bust!

a soon to be enigmatic 36 year old Russian Winger with attitude issues is really making a splash ! by mid season he will be throwing temper tantrums with 9 goals, and pointing at McDavid after shootout misses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad