Cheap system for my friend to play Classic WoW

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't been in the tech industry for 5 years now so I'm a little out of touch with computer hardware. My friend loves playing PvP in Wow and it's the only game he plays. He wants to play the free Classic WoW but his system is old and out of spec. He wants a cheap system where this is the only thing he will use it for. He doesn't care if it's laptop or tower.

For those in the know, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I haven't been in the tech industry for 5 years now so I'm a little out of touch with computer hardware. My friend loves playing PvP in Wow and it's the only game he plays. He wants to play the free Classic WoW but his system is old and out of spec. He wants a cheap system where this is the only thing he will use it for. He doesn't care if it's laptop or tower.

Thanks in advance!

I can't seem to find official requirements for WoW Classic and from what I understand it still uses a newer version of the engine.

Just basing it off the last expansion for WoW, a pretty old system from even 2012 should be able to run it if it has enough RAM and a decent video card.

Something like this system would certainly do the job and may even be overkill:
ABS Rogue - Intel i5-9400F - GeForce GTX 1060 - 8GB DDR4 - 120GB SSD - 1TB HDD - Gaming Desktop PC - Newegg.com
Or this one: iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop Slate 040i Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 240 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

Without benchmarks or a specific price range I don't feel comfortable recommending something other than the cheapest it would take to run it on high settings/resolution. Some people don't mind playing below that but a lot do.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If you're looking to go cheap I doubt you'd need 8GB or a SSD to play WoW? I had a 4GB machine up until December and could comfortably play modern games up till around 2015.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Thanks in advance!
Just want to point out that it doesn't require an extra purchase on top of retail WoW but it still costs the monthly fee, in case you didn't know that.

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
Just want to point out that it doesn't require an extra purchase on top of retail WoW but it still costs the monthly fee, in case you didn't know that.
I can't seem to find official requirements for WoW Classic and from what I understand it still uses a newer version of the engine.

Just basing it off the last expansion for WoW, a pretty old system from even 2012 should be able to run it if it has enough RAM and a decent video card.

Something like this system would certainly do the job and may even be overkill:
ABS Rogue - Intel i5-9400F - GeForce GTX 1060 - 8GB DDR4 - 120GB SSD - 1TB HDD - Gaming Desktop PC - Newegg.com
Or this one: iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop Slate 040i Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 240 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

Without benchmarks or a specific price range I don't feel comfortable recommending something other than the cheapest it would take to run it on high settings/resolution. Some people don't mind playing below that but a lot do.

Thanks for the in depth reply. Much appreciated:)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

member 51464

This thread gave me a smile. I switched to running Linux a few years ago on a cheap laptop I picked up. It has been great. But man do I miss Age of Empires II sometimes. I have thought a few times to get the cheapest desktop I could find just to get Steam and play that bad boy sometimes. But alas, I know I shouldn't!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
This thread gave me a smile. I switched to running Linux a few years ago on a cheap laptop I picked up. It has been great. But man do I miss Age of Empires II sometimes. I have thought a few times to get the cheapest desktop I could find just to get Steam and play that bad boy sometimes. But alas, I know I shouldn't!

Do it

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I hadn't even looked at Steam in so long....I installed the Linux version and one add-on and AoE II was right there in all its glory. Woooooooooo

Heh, I was gonna say I'm sure most any ole dumpy laptop would run AoE even on linux it's pretty old :laugh:

But don't forget to buy the next uber deluxe version coming out of AoE II yet again o_O

Reactions: member 51464

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad