Cheap projector for projecting on to my ceiling

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I wanted to purchase a cheap projector that I could use to project both in the conventional way and for projecting on to the ceiling. I want to use it primarily for reading PDFs while I am in bed. Portability would be a secondary variable as I wouldnt mind bringing it to study rooms. I would prefer to be able to adjust from a 0 degree to a 90 degree angle (and all angles in between, of course). I would like to be able to connect either a tablet or a laptop. Also, I am on a budget and would like to spend in between $50-$200.

Thank you guys in advance.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't have a very helpful answer here, but having messed around with some cheap projection over the last couple of years, I'm not sure there's a solid product out there that would fit your needs and goals in this price range.

I've yet to find a very crisp projector found on the lower end of the market - I imagine projecting text onto a textured ceiling using cheap hardware would result in a lot of eye fatigue and be overall difficult to read. I don't think you're going to be able to achieve a comfortable reading environment with this method.

There's 1000000x cheapo options on eBay, and I would think any of them are fairly similar in performance. I would just buy a the cheapest state-side one you can find, and test it out. I would imagine your use case is rather unique and there's probably not a lot of good info out there.

Reactions: SniperHF

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Hey, thanks for your reply. You're definitely right about my case being unique, as I've had quite a bit of trouble finding information. Do you think that one of those small,cubed DLP projectors could work for ceiling viewing? The only reservation I have about that one is that the only input is SD card. Some of them claim wireless, but I am a bit weary of it working for PDF viewing.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Hey, thanks for your reply. You're definitely right about my case being unique, as I've had quite a bit of trouble finding information. Do you think that one of those small,cubed DLP projectors could work for ceiling viewing? The only reservation I have about that one is that the only input is SD card. Some of them claim wireless, but I am a bit weary of it working for PDF viewing.

Do you have physical size constraints (of the device)?

I think something like this (which has good reviews, i've not personally used) LG PH150B MiniBeam 720p Wireless Bluetooth Projector (Certified Refurbished) 719192614857 | eBay would be a decent option.

It's tiny, can run on battery, has BT connectivity, and all the inputs you'd need. I don't know about native .pdf support though. How are you planning to drive that? Just off a usb stick full of pdfs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad