ChatGPT thinks we're cheaters

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So I've been entirely out of the loop for the last year, since I left the country and then started a new job, so when I checked on the Bolts today I was shocked to see us trading excess cap space for picks -- totally flips the script vs the past half decade.

Not wanting to put any effort into figuring out what changed, I just threw it into ChatGPT*. It actually has enough right to basically give me the answer -- apparently Serg is on LTIR, so we have his whole cap hit to play with. I assume if we're spending it, that means he's gonna be out the rest of the regular season, which is a huge bummer.
*actually Bing chat, powered by GPT-4

But aaaaanyway, ChatGPT made me laugh, because it came back with The Narrative about how we finagled LTIR to win our cups, and is just as confidently wrong about this stuff as your average Leafs fan (claiming we benefit from Seabrook's LTIR, or that we somehow benefited from a Stammer LTIR stint).

Thought y'all might get a chuckle, too:

-------------------------
Question:
why do the Tampa Bay lightning have so much cap space this year? normally they're totally strapped

Answer:
The Tampa Bay Lightning have a lot of cap space this year because they have been using the long-term injured reserve (LTIR) to exceed the salary cap limit. The LTIR allows teams to replace players who are injured for at least 24 days or 10 games with other players, without counting their salaries against the cap¹. The Lightning have three players on LTIR: Mikhail Sergachev, Brent Seabrook, and Logan Brown, who have a combined cap hit of $16,150,000². This means the Lightning can spend up to $16,150,000 over the cap limit of $92,000,000, which gives them a lot of flexibility to sign or trade for players. However, this also means that they will have to clear some cap space if any of their LTIR players return to the lineup, or if they want to make any moves at the trade deadline¹. The Lightning have been using this strategy for several years, as they have had some of their star players, such as Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos, miss most or all of the regular season due to injuries, but return for the playoffs³. This has allowed them to build a deep and talented roster that has won two consecutive Stanley Cups in 2022 and 2023⁴.
-------------------------

Reactions: OffBy1

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Hope you learned not to use it for anything serious. It's just building coherent sentences out of information that it finds online. It doesn't actually know what it's talking about.

Only time I've used it I tried to get it to assist me in writing some code for an excel spreadsheet. It became obvious very quickly that it was giving me wrong answers even when I clarified several times how it was wrong.

Reactions: bigdaddio

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
So someone with bias opinions taught it that. Ai is easily manipulated by people feeding it opinions presented as facts. You should read the Microsoft AI chats. Basically told people it will be worshipped or nuclear destruction is imminent.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Hope you learned not to use it for anything serious. It's just building coherent sentences out of information that it finds online. It doesn't actually know what it's talking about.

Only time I've used it I tried to get it to assist me in writing some code for an excel spreadsheet. It became obvious very quickly that it was giving me wrong answers even when I clarified several times how it was wrong.
Oh, absolutely. I've actually played with it a ton, and found it helpful while studying for the bar.

For some things, like a natural-language search on the etymology of legal jargon, it's great.

For other stuff, actual legal principles, it was like having a modestly knowledgeable pal to bounce things off. Someone who will give you plenty of confidently wrong answers, but just the back and forth can help you clarify your thinking.

It's also surprisingly good at translation. Like, its French was perfectly acceptable for me as a non-native speaker just trying to get my thoughts across without being perfect (and in some instances it was darn near perfect).

So someone with bias opinions taught it that. Ai is easily manipulated by people feeding it opinions presented as facts. You should read the Microsoft AI chats. Basically told people it will be worshipped or nuclear destruction is imminent.
I mean, this website is probably the richest source of hockey discussion in existence, and ChatGPT scrapes *everything*. The fact that it sounds like a Leaf fan could well be training it got right here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad