Prospect Info: Chase Yoder, Centre (6th Round, #170 Overall, 2020)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think a better thing should be a player with some standout skill one way or the other. I'd rather we get a guy who skates like the wind and is great on the forecheck but can't score than a guy who's got a Spaling-esque upside. :laugh:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Tampa just spent two 1sts on getting two defensively excellent guys without much attacking upside in and it got a cup for them. We just spent 3.5m on Tanev and were spending 4m on Hagelin when we won our cups. I don't think genuinely great defensive forwards are as cheap and easy to find as you think they are. And while I'd rather swing high on gamebreaking skill, I'd rather they went with the defensive guy they really believe in ahead of a high skill guy they don't think will ever make it. Better something than nothing.

And while I hate drafting goalies early too, reality is Philadelphia blew about a decade of Championship window on trying to find a goalie and we won two cups thanks to a goalie prospect we'd drafted and developed. I'd also point out the benefits of drafting and keeping a strong selection of goalies also played a part in St Louis', Washington's, and Tampa's victories.

I think you have reasonable arguments, but I mustn't have got my point across. I'm not against picking up those guys at the deadline, it's wasting draft picks in terms of making the actual picks on guys who have that as their ceiling. I'd rather draft two flawed high skill guys and have one bust completely and the other "only" end up a 2nd/3rd liner rather than draft two guys that are never going to be more than 4th liners if they make it at all.

There are just as many cases of goalies coming from other teams or from low picks as there are of 1st rounders. Far more than any other position. That's not to mention the guys on teams that haven't won the cup. I'd be intrigued to know how many starters in the league were drafted in the 1st round and are still playing on the team that drafted them. It's a fair point though, I'd soften my position in hindsight to say definitely no goalies in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you have reasonable arguments, but I mustn't have got my point across. I'm not against picking up those guys at the deadline, it's wasting draft picks in terms of making the actual picks on guys who have that as their ceiling. I'd rather draft two flawed high skill guys and have one bust completely and the other "only" end up a 2nd/3rd liner rather than draft two guys that are never going to be more than 4th liners if they make it at all.

There are just as many cases of goalies coming from other teams or from low picks as there are of 1st rounders. Far more than any other position. That's not to mention the guys on teams that haven't won the cup. I'd be intrigued to know how many starters in the league were drafted in the 1st round and are still playing on the team that drafted them. It's a fair point though, I'd soften my position in hindsight to say definitely no goalies in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

I get your points, I think, I just have partial disagreements.

Goalies first - I agree they pretty much shouldn't be taken in the 1st (although how many 1st rounders are still with the team that drafted them full stop?) but 2nd/3rd? By the time we hit pick 50, we've mostly exhausted the sure fire guys and really good gambles, so we're hitting about the same level of uncertainty as goalies and most drafts, the ten best players from 2nd + 3rd rounds is going to include a few goalies. Also, while you can find good goalies later on, the amount available dwindles after round 3. Here's the guys who played NHL last season who were starters at some point in their career by round

1 - Vasilevskiy, Price, Fleury, Rask, Varlamov, Dubynk, Schneider, Bernier
2 - Hart, Markstrom, Blackwood, Gibson, Lehner, Crawford, Allen, Howard
3 - Binnington, Andersen, Bishop, Murray, Quick, Anderson,
4 - Holtby
5 - Hellebuyck, Smith, Miller
6 - Kuemper
7 - Lundqvist

I haven't included the undrafted or 8th rounders, but there's a very obvious tilt to drafting early if you want a starter. Right now there's only been one goalie starter drafted after the 3rd in the last 10 years.

Tbh, I started as "No goalies in the first 100 picks" but now I've examined it, I think that's when you need to strike and given how advantageous it is to have a constant stream of good goalies, that teams should strike often there.

As for picking high skill vs high other qualities late on... I'd rather swing high skill, but I'd rather have two 4th liners who top out at Brandon Tanev types than two busts. If the scouts say the high skill guys left are busts - which the vast majority are in the 5th/6th - and that the high other qualities can become Tanev-esque guys, then I'll follow them. I'm not gonna go mad against them going this way. I might if they always did that, but it's not like this scouting staff are afraid to recommend the high skill guys at this stage if they believe in them (Drozg, Almeida, Puustinen).

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just like the big club team, the system should be balanced to a degree. Positions, types, ages, etc. There should be a mix.

The point that very good defensive forwards aren't always so cheap (Hags, Coleman, etc.) is well received and I agree with it. But I'd also add that skill guys are even more expensive (Kessel) and harder to find. So they also need to be drafted. I tend to think the draft should be titled more towards the high skill guys because they are more expensive and harder to find, but you need some of the high floor types as well. Maybe something like 60/40 or 70/30, but yeah, you need to trust your scouts. They might see a defensive forward who's got a bit of skill as well and that player could end up being Bryan Rust.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I think a better thing should be a player with some standout skill one way or the other. I'd rather we get a guy who skates like the wind and is great on the forecheck but can't score than a guy who's got a Spaling-esque upside. :laugh:
can always tell who was raised on koltsov and fata

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rico Fata was a genius at being offsides, I'll tell you hwat.

Yt5lEPe.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad