Chase to leave radio broadcast for new role with the Blues - Vitale replaces him

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I guess he really is no longer interested in broadcasting. Thought maybe there was something behind the scenes we don't know about. Kind of a bummer that he's out of the booth. Guess Terry Yake has the inside track to take his place.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Good, I got sick of his schtick about fights preventing anything that could possibly happen. I swear I heard him, a few years ago, claim that the opposition wouldn’t have scored on a breakaway had someone gotten into a fight during a scrum earlier in the game.

Good riddance!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
TV Analyst, in Panger's spot?
Assistant to the traveling secretary?
Power-play coach?

I like Chase's energy and passion and think he's a tremendous asset to the club and community. Maybe he'll get Federko's TV-gig and they'll 'elevate' Bernie to a consulting gig.

Reactions: Spear and Thallis

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Power-play coach?

I like Chase's energy and passion and think he's a tremendous asset to the club and community. Maybe he'll get Federko's TV-gig and they'll 'elevate' Bernie to a consulting gig.

I think that's the best spot for him. Chase has passion and the voice, but his views on the league are outdated and he's a pretty giant Homer. This leads to a lot of time spent about whining what is and isn't a penalty and just drags down the overall commentary. I think a color guy with more focus on the play itself will be a nice boost for the radio team.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Power-play coach?

From the article, he already has a gig. He is doing business and community development for the blues. I assume that's a part time gig, because it also says he is pursuing a real estate development opportunity. So no TV, coaching or booking travel itineraries for Chase.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Love the guy. In the age of PC sugar coating or being controversial for the sake of just getting attention I enjoyed Chase's simple honesty.

I liked the polar opposites in Pager (Mr Happy) and Chase (Mr Sullen). It established the extremes and left the viewer to find his POV within the spectrum.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I would think he wants to spend more time with his kids before they leave the nest. He's been a road warrior for decades. Time to relax and have a more 9 to 5 job.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Blues continue to look for Chase's repalcement

In this article Kerber said that 20 people have been interviewed for the job to replace Chaser, and it is believe among that group of 20 are Terry Yake, Jamie Rives, and Cam Janssen. I kinda hope Cam Janssen would be considered if only b/c I think he would make for an entertaining color commentator, I really dug the recent segment with Cam and Maroon.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Before Ott took the job as assistant coach I thought he might have made a colorful broadcaster. The year he was injured he did player interviews that were pretty funny. Maybe further down the line we'll see him in the booth

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Looks like Joey Vitale is the new color commentator for the KMOX broadcasts. Don't know much about him other than he's from St Louis and was drafted by the Penguins and played with Bortz in Pens minor league hockey team. Kerber is interviewing him live now on KMOX.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pens fan dropping in, super excited to hear Vitale is coming on to do radio. We loved him in Pittsburgh and I often wondered how he was doing after his career was unfortunately and unexpectedly cut short.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Mar 6, 2012
I was at that game with a bunch of old school blues internet nerds from the Blues News Forum. Anyone else from that era still posting on here?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Speaking of broken orbital bones, does anybody remember this Jackman scrap? You can see Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre stick out his tongue at Jackman right before he lands the breaking punch.

Wow, that's some sweet justice lmao. Amazing.

Anyways, too bad Ott is coaching because I think he would have been amazing in Chase's role tbh.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I was at that game with a bunch of old school blues internet nerds from the Blues News Forum. Anyone else from that era still posting on here?
I was probably on that site a long time ago under a different username. Recognize a decent number of names like TC, Turk Sanderson, NHLTim, CaptSMRT, etc., not to mention some who post here as well.

Was on LetsGoBlues way back in the day as well. Used to play pickup roller hockey with some of that crew, though they probably wouldn't know my by my current username, either.

Haven't really posted anywhere but here for ages, though.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was around, but I'm not sure I remember "Blue News Forum" per se. I spent most of my time on the "Official" Blues forum on the Blues website. Was that the same thing? I was also on "Let'sGoBlues" for a while, before finding a home here.

Last edited:

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I was probably on that site a long time ago under a different username. Recognize a decent number of names like TC, Turk Sanderson, NHLTim, CaptSMRT, etc., not to mention some who post here as well.

Was on LetsGoBlues way back in the day as well. Used to play pickup roller hockey with some of that crew, though they probably wouldn't know my by my current username, either.

Haven't really posted anywhere but here for ages, though.

Did you do any of that on the IL side?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I hadn't even realised that Vitale had been forced to retire.

Yeah, took a punch that broke his orbital bone and also gave him lasting concussion symptoms that ultimately forced him to retire. He was a solid 4th liner.

It was horrifying. Everyone knew the second he took that punch it was gonna be devastating.

Hope he finds a niche here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->