GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I understand the coaching staff wanted to limit his exposure as one of the youngest players in the league, but he keeps taking his opportunities and running with them. Apparently just became the youngest to ever record a triple-double. Kid might make the Hornets cool again even with his dad's baggage. Don't f*** shit up, MJ.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I understand the coaching staff wanted to limit his exposure as one of the youngest players in the league, but he keeps taking his opportunities and running with them. Apparently just became the youngest to ever record a triple-double. Kid might make the Hornets cool again even with his dad's baggage. Don't f*** shit up, MJ.

His dad is an annoying media loudmouth for sure but he’s not really baggage. He actually raised his kids great. Lonzo and LaMelo both just work their asses off, love basketball and stay quiet and keep their heads down and work. Nothing but respect for them and that’s a testament to how Lavar raised them.

Could not be more pumped about the Hornets right now. I’ve always loved the sport of basketball but the nba has been a disgrace being so star driven for a long time and the Hornets have sucked but seems like both those things may be changing... Hornets on the upswing and the NBA seems to have a bit more parity the past few seasons.

Carolina sports in general seem to be pretty promising going forward, pending the Panthers getting a QB. Still obviously most excited about the Canes though.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I understand the coaching staff wanted to limit his exposure as one of the youngest players in the league

Unfortunately NBA Twitter does not, but no one accused NBA Twitter as being a bastion of knowledge.

I’ve always loved the sport of basketball but the nba has been a disgrace being so star driven for a long time and the Hornets have sucked but seems like both those things may be changing..

I wouldn't get too optimistic about that just yet.

What will be interesting is whether or not these young guys (Ball, Zion, Morant) stay in their small-markets past their first big contract. Giannis staying in Milwaukee was a refreshing change of pace. Luka is very likely a Maverick for life, at least as long as Cuban is there.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Too bad there is only one basketball to share between 3 "gotta have the ball" type players

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Anyone else but Kyrie as the 3rd guy and I think they're a wagon, but you can't count on the guy at this point to even show up to the game, let alone play at an elite level. There's extremely high implosion potential with this.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I rarely watch NBA games. I will watch some highlights, follow the standings, read articles, occasionally listen to podcasts with NBA content. I do wish I liked it more, cause NBA GMs (and the players) make sure crazy shit happens on the regular.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think they would have been best off with just having KD.

Yep if they had just signed KD and kept all the pieces they already had there and continued to build around him through the draft I think they'd be much better off. But not sure KD would've signed there without Irving tag teaming... Frankly, KD saying in GS was in his best interest. I doubt the Nets win one with this core.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Harden definitely started off well. I mean I kinda wonder if they don't end up with just Durant and Harden. Even without Kyrie, Harden that swallows a bit of his pride + KD... that's freaking lethal.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Problem w/ Kyrie is no one will trade for him. Why would they? He chose to sign as a UFA w/ the Nets and now he doesn't want to play at all.

Harden looks like he's dropped about 30-40 pounds, if he can do that in 3 weeks then he's sitting on a gold mine for a potential weight loss program/book.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Problem w/ Kyrie is no one will trade for him. Why would they? He chose to sign as a UFA w/ the Nets and now he doesn't want to play at all.

Harden looks like he's dropped about 30-40 pounds, if he can do that in 3 weeks then he's sitting on a gold mine for a potential weight loss program/book.
Strip clubs, brothels, and enthusiasm.

Reactions: HisIceness

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They all expire in summer 2023. You have 3 playoff runs to get the title, then you're looking at possible multiple lotto picks to Houston. At least they're getting a bona-fide top tier player this time rather than Boston's assortment of past their prime starters.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Been trying to get back into the NBA since the NHL has had a later start and as a distraction from everyday life. Definitely not the same NBA I grew up with, but trying to give these kids a chance by supporting them. LeMelo Ball looks good, and the Hornets have flashes of being a great team. Way too inconsistent and long stretches of ZERO defense (which is a league wide issue in my opinion coming from a 80s/90s era fan). I hope they can get it together and start clicking on a nightly basis.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
They all expire in summer 2023. You have 3 playoff runs to get the title, then you're looking at possible multiple lotto picks to Houston. At least they're getting a bona-fide top tier player this time rather than Boston's assortment of past their prime starters.

Pretty sure Irving and Durant have player options after this year, so theoretically they could both go elsewhere after this season. Considering both specifically chose to team up in Brooklyn though, I doubt they leave. Would only happen if Irving decides to retire or keeps messing around with that stuff and Durant decides to go to the Heat or something and try to title chase with better odds.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Been trying to get back into the NBA since the NHL has had a later start and as a distraction from everyday life. Definitely not the same NBA I grew up with, but trying to give these kids a chance by supporting them. LeMelo Ball looks good, and the Hornets have flashes of being a great team. Way too inconsistent and long stretches of ZERO defense (which is a league wide issue in my opinion coming from a 80s/90s era fan). I hope they can get it together and start clicking on a nightly basis.

The young stars now like Luka, Morant, and Zion are a lot more fun to watch for me than some of the guys who were hyped as hell 5-6 years ago (Andrew Wiggins, looking at you). Ball is fun, not sure what his ceiling is but he's a good building block. So far Hayward has brought it but I'm still skeptical of that contract, doesn't help that Batum is still going to be getting paid past this year because of it.

I grew up watching the original Hornets too, we were season ticket holders starting in the Dave Cowens era until about 2001. I remember when they would jump from FOX Sports South one night to WJZY-tv the next, and then they went to WAXN (Action 64) in their last years which I forget even exists sometimes. Actually I remember when some of their less star-studded home games weren't televised at all and I had to listen to them on WBT

Reactions: surfzone365

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->