Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
Jones got 9,5 and rumours says Makar is getting 9. McA will at least get 9 if he is not taking any discounts.

Quite challenging seasons coming up from roster management point lf view. They need to add 1st C, keep Pasta, have 1st G and have Bergy running few seasons. If management screws big time now in the coming UFA market, they have big mess in their hands.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
I think with the Makar and Jones deals McAvoy should get at least 9 million per. The guy is a stud.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think the Makar deal is actually good for the Bruins because it more or less sets a ceiling for Mac. If Makar had gotten $10m I'd be worried. Mac should be in the 8-9 ballpark and this probably ensures he will be.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Jones got 9,5 and rumours says Makar is getting 9. McA will at least get 9 if he is not taking any discounts.

Quite challenging seasons coming up from roster management point lf view. They need to add 1st C, keep Pasta, have 1st G and have Bergy running few seasons. If management screws big time now in the coming UFA market, they have big mess in their hands.
Jones is irrelevant as a McAvoy comp because he's entirely UFA years, where McAvoy's extension will be mostly RFA years. Makar is a totally valid comp, and a totally fair one.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Basically you are allowed 1 stud D

If the Bruins had Jones & McAvoy you can’t realistically pay them combine 16-19 M

crazy what’s going on

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think the Makar deal is actually good for the Bruins because it more or less sets a ceiling for Mac. If Makar had gotten $10m I'd be worried. Mac should be in the 8-9 ballpark and this probably ensures he will be.

I don’t follow that logic. McAvoy signed a bridge when Makar signed his deal. McAvoy is giving up more UFA years than Makar ain’t he?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don’t follow that logic. McAvoy signed a bridge when Makar signed his deal. McAvoy is giving up more UFA years than Makar ain’t he?
yes, that's a good point, I hadn't really thought about that. Even so it will be fewer UFA years than Jones, for example, so at worst he falls somewhere between the 2. We'll see how it plays out I guess.

Reactions: wintersej

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Jones is irrelevant as a McAvoy comp because he's entirely UFA years, where McAvoy's extension will be mostly RFA years. Makar is a totally valid comp, and a totally fair one.
RFA/UFA is actually the irrelevant part here as it concerns the McAvoy and Jones comparison. Only 1st 2 years of McAvoy's next contract is RFA. Jones is 4 years older, Chicago is buying some prime and some regression years. A 7 or 8 year deal for McAvoy is pretty much all prime years, theoretically shoyld cost more.

Jones<McAvoy<Makar

$9Mx8 for McAvoy feels right

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It'll be helpful that most of the old guard will be passing on and the rules of who makes what will be gone. It's the Bergeron contract that will decide a lot. If he takes a 2-3 year team friendly deal to retire on, they can give Charlie 9m.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
McAvoy is going to sign less than people think he will. He's not a money chaser he proved that when he initially signed his bridge deal back in 2019.

I know we like to think all Bruins players will take less to stay here, but McAvoy's last deal was market value. He basically signed the same deal as Werenski a week later, except the cap hit was $100k less per year, but the final year's salary was $300k more, which at the time dictated the qualifying offer.

Maybe you can convince him that Werenski's deal happened because Columbus had to bribe him to stay, but McAvoy's also been the better player, so he could absolutely argue he should get more. Sweeney should really be working to get that deal signed now because it's only going to go up the longer he waits.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I know we like to think all Bruins players will take less to stay here, but McAvoy's last deal was market value. He basically signed the same deal as Werenski a week later, except the cap hit was $100k less per year, but the final year's salary was $300k more, which at the time dictated the qualifying offer.

Maybe you can convince him that Werenski's deal happened because Columbus had to bribe him to stay, but McAvoy's also been the better player, so he could absolutely argue he should get more. Sweeney should really be working to get that deal signed now because it's only going to go up the longer he waits.
Are RFA’s eligible to sign extensions before the end of the year?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Werenski's contract is definitely an overpayment to bribe him to stay. However I think pending additional injury issues, we will be very fortunate to have McAvoy long term whether at $7.5 or $9 million. I think $10 million is too steep for the flat salary cap.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->