Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
McAvoy isn't the next Doughty, no. Shame.

You do realize that for his career he's a tick under 0.50 PPG pace as a defenseman, right?

That's pretty good production, seeing he doesn't get top pairing PP time.

Yup to both, kinda my point that Krug is getting most of the PP time, hard to tell what Charlie can top out as far offensive potential right now.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not worried about his production right now. I think he's played mostly well and when you remember he's only 21 and leads the 2nd best team in terms of goals allowed per game in ice time, it helps put things into perspective.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
He gets caught out of position so much this year it seems, like Dougie did his last season here...He will be fine though, not worried about him at all.
This is very true, he is still figuring out the timing of when to commit a certain way and he gets caught in between desicions a lot. He will grow.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He needs to get a goal, so he can get some offensive confidence going. Right now its clear he doesnt have the confidence to shoot or bring the puck up like he can. Hes turning away from guys he could most certainly blow right by bringing the puck up.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He gets caught out of position so much this year it seems, like Dougie did his last season here...He will be fine though, not worried about him at all.
I insisted many times over the past few years that he seems to camouflage Z`s shortcomings at times and to a degree that wasn`t incorrect but I`m with you, seems like this year it`s Z who covers CM`s shortcomings. As you mentioned, the kid will be fine, IMO, better than fine and I`m very excited about the future with him but I think he`s almost been trying a bit too hard if that doesn`t sound silly, making some mistakes he won`t make at 23/24 yrs old

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think as soon as he scores his first goal you're going to see him just go off. That said, yeah, he's definitely struggling.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've never seen Bruins fans before get impatient with a 21 year old defencemen, such strange behaviour

Probably because there's a lot of kids entering the league and starting to dominate right away, or play at a high level.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think as soon as he scores his first goal you're going to see him just go off. That said, yeah, he's definitely struggling.

I think the contract holdout, even though short, didn't do him any favors. He has just seemed a bit off so far, but the tools are there and the toolbox also- it just needs to click into place. Instead of a sophomore slump, it looks like he is getting it a bit later- a junior slump :D

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Charlie literally has done and is doing that?

When he entered the league he entered with hype around him, with Werenski& Provorov, McAvoys hype has calmed down a bit and I'd argue a better group of young D-men have entered the league(some of them), Heiskanen, Dahlin, Makar, Hughes dominating on a different level consistently and have eaten up some of it.

When he starts putting up the numbers people will remember again.
Doesn't mean he's bad or a disappointment.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
he could probably use a break from Chara, no offense to the big man

I feel like playing with Chara is probably great for him in some ways, but in other ways he has to kind of cover for Chara in ways he wouldn't with someone else. Chara is obviously slow and teams will chip the puck behind him to try to beat him in a race for the puck, and Charlie will have to cover for Chara in those instances and get the puck instead

I'm sure chemistry is a bigger factor for the D pairs, but its odd how often Cassidy mixes up the forwards but he seems pretty insistent on keeping the D pairs together for the most part

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
he could probably use a break from Chara, no offense to the big man

I feel like playing with Chara is probably great for him in some ways, but in other ways he has to kind of cover for Chara in ways he wouldn't with someone else. Chara is obviously slow and teams will chip the puck behind him to try to beat him in a race for the puck, and Charlie will have to cover for Chara in those instances and get the puck instead

I'm sure chemistry is a bigger factor for the D pairs, but its odd how often Cassidy mixes up the forwards but he seems pretty insistent on keeping the D pairs together for the most part
yeah i think it's less about him covering for Chara and more that when playing with Z he seems like he's thinking too much instead of just playing off his instincts. When he's playing with Z he's like a wild stallion that someone has put a saddle on. When he plays with guys like Grizz or Krug, he seems like he can just GO and that helps him a lot. I am certain he has learned a ton from Z, but in the long run I think when Z is gone it will be good for Charlie. He's the kind of player that needs to be the leader on his pairing.

I'll say this: the fact that he's relied on to kill penalties already means he's already well ahead of Hamilton at the same age.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
MacAvoy was awesome last night. So strong on the puck and had some great moves.

He's actually been great all season - he's just playing way harder minutes so his offense has dipped and he doesn't have many pretty plays. But people on this board see him make one bad play and suddenly he's a bust.

Mac is a legit #1Dman who has a little bit of everything. All the other GMs would be drooling if they got a shot at him. We have issues but he is not one of them.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I've never seen Bruins fans before get impatient with a 21 year old defencemen, such strange behaviour
Honestly, he's so good I forget he's 21. Any player of any age is going to be prone to some level of streakiness, or fluctuating performance. To me, the whole team's in a rut right now, and I can't blame it on any one player underperforming.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
MacAvoy was awesome last night. So strong on the puck and had some great moves.

He's actually been great all season - he's just playing way harder minutes so his offense has dipped and he doesn't have many pretty plays. But people on this board see him make one bad play and suddenly he's a bust.

Mac is a legit #1Dman who has a little bit of everything. All the other GMs would be drooling if they got a shot at him. We have issues but he is not one of them.

He was an absolute beast last night. If he can find consistency and play like that every game - that's a Norris quality defenseman.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah but he is a victim of the hype around here. He was going to be Drew Doughty or Shea Weber by now according to some, instead of being allowed to be Charlie McAvoy and develop at his own pace.
Great post. I criticize when he sucks, there for I must do the opposite. Great games recently. Best on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad