Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
these 3 year deals at low cap hit with a qualifier in that 7 mill area are brilliant... player is basically doing a 4 year deal for excess of 22 million

of course we all expect a long 7-8 year deal then and the qualifier wont matter... signing a long deal at age 24 ends at 31/32 and we avoid paying someone at 34-35 like would happen if we did a 6 year deal now and then an 8... or worst an 8 now and then another 8 would see us paying until age 37

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Great signing for the Bruins, impressive work by Sweeney (Dubas has to be scratching his head), and confident for McAvoy betting betting on his future.

And props to Fenway for putting the full contract value, not just the AAV, in the thread title, thus saving me from doing the arithmetic. ;)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Good news and good deal. I wonder what took so long as it doesn't look like anything special. Whatever, good to have him back and right- Carlo next.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I've always pushed for long term. Hard to argue the value here though. A #1 D fore less than $5M for the next three years.....I'd put money on him being the new benchmark for contracts when his next deals rolls around.

Hopefully this helps them with regards to Carlo's contract..... and even Krug, who now seems like a more likely candidate for an extension.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Great deal, not sure how contracts work but I'm thinking management wanted a bridge deal within Bergerons last years of him in his 'prime' to be able to have $ leftover at the deadline.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I love how Chara can be The Scariest Man on Earth and also The Biggest Teddy Bear on Earth :laugh:

I think he's glad Charlie is back...

Anyone would be. So pleased about this. As Haggerty observes, it's a fair deal given Charlie's age, injury/illness history, offensive production, etc.

As Haggerty also notes, it may be a bumpy ride this season for various reasons (Cup "hangover," older core with nagging injuries, etc.), but at least MIA Charlie won't be one of them. Sign Carlo & let's get cracking.

Reactions: BMC

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Since he'll still be an RFA at the end of this deal shows me that he's entirely comfortable spending the next 11 seasons in Boston. Takes the discount for the last 3 years of Bergeron's deal. Pretty much the perfect deal on day 1.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I do think it's telling that the core pieces of the Bruins franchise have all sacrificed money and taken team-friendly deals where the Leafs' core has been a bunch of holdout threats with Dubas panicking and throwing $11 at them.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
I do think it's telling that the core pieces of the Bruins franchise have all sacrificed money and taken team-friendly deals where the Leafs' core has been a bunch of holdout threats with Dubas panicking and throwing $11 at them.

The atmosphere around the Bruins and Leafs is completely different, it's incredible.

And I personally think Tavares changed everything.

I believe the Leafs screwed up getting Tavares, and the Bruins lucked out (think Tavares is overrated).

Dubas signing a forward to 11M before all his high talented young forwards were up for post ELC, big risk, and it didn't pay off. He paid a premium for every one of them. Signing Tavares obviously didn't convince them that they were a winning team to take less. All Tavares did was set the market for his own team as a comparable.

And I do give Sweeney credit for the contracts he has given out, but the potential Tavares one he was going to hand out, I give a big thumbs down. To me, he was lucky he choose Toronto.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
3 years of Charlie at that price.

Then he ll cash in, some of the present contracts will be gone, cap will go up as well.

Perfect deal, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->