Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Got a little bored while I'm waiting for NHL 20 to download so I thought I'd take a look at the last 9 years of Norris Winners (Lidstrom's TOI was unavailable or it would have been 10) + the top 3 "favorites" for the Norris this year (marked with a * next to their name). I looked at their first 3 seasons in the NHL from an offensive production standpoint as well as their average TOI. To qualify as a first season they needed to have played at least 40 games. I took those first 3 years and compared them to what McAvoy has done offensively in his first 3 seasons. I also include the age they were when they won the Norris.

Player
GP
Pts
P/GP
ATOI
Playing Age
Norris Age
Mark Giordano
188​
64​
0.34​
17:31​
23 to 26​
35​
Victor Hedman*​
214​
69​
0.32​
21:33​
19 to 21​
27​
Brent Burns
231​
84​
0.36​
17:52​
20 to 22​
31​
Drew Doughty
239​
126​
0.53​
24:48​
19 to 21​
26​
Erik Karlsson
216​
149​
0.69​
23:15​
19 to 21​
21 & 24​
Duncan Keith
245​
84​
0.34​
24:12​
22 to 24​
26 & 30​
P.K. Subban
200​
112​
0.56​
23:18​
21 to 23​
23​
John Carlsson*
212​
91​
0.43​
22:26​
21 to 23​
N/A​
Roman Josi*
172​
74​
0.43​
23:11​
21 to 23​
N/A​
Charlie McAvoy
22:31
20 to 22
N/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Average age for Norris Winner = 27yr old

So McAvoy ends up being middle of the this group in everything but GP, while having the 4th lowest playing age for his first 3 years. Not bad, not bad at all

Last edited:

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
I think the hit on Anderson was dirty. I’d be a hypocrite to say otherwise; if that was a blues player hitting a bruins player, I’m sure that’s the conclusion I’d draw.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Someone needs to shove that article down Hagg's fat mouth on twitter.

Would love to, but he blocked me years ago when I called him out in some Rask BS that he couldn't defend. Still blows my mind that for such a big hocley market we have some many hack writers covering the team.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Picking the 2019-20 Norris Trophy Winner Using Analytics

Spoiler alert: McAvoy's advanced stats match the eye test

While I don't think Analytics are the be-all, end-all, I do think they are a good indicator or tool in measuring the ability to defend/prevent the opposing team from scoring. Much better than say +/-.

Couple of interesting things other than McAvoy:

Hamilton's inclusion. I don't know what his deal is off the ice or how he fits into a room, but seems like he's developed into a well-rounded D-man as he is now in his prime years. No one ever doubted he had the physical tools. Big guy, had reach, good skater.

Ellis and Spurgeon. Two of the league's smallest D-men yet they prevent scoring at a a high rate. Proof that you can defend now with your feet, stick and positioning and not being able to truck guys in front of the net is no longer the detriment to defending that it was year's ago. Sure there are a handful of players that if they set-up shop in front, smaller D would have a problem. But the number of players (power-forward types) league-wide who pose this sort of problem is so small now that it's really not an issue the majority of the time. The speed of the game has filtered a lot of these power-forward types out as they can't keep pace (see Backes, Lucic, etc.)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Couple of interesting things other than McAvoy:

Ellis and Spurgeon. Two of the league's smallest D-men yet they prevent scoring at a a high rate. Proof that you can defend now with your feet, stick and positioning and not being able to truck guys in front of the net is no longer the detriment to defending that it was year's ago. Sure there are a handful of players that if they set-up shop in front, smaller D would have a problem. But the number of players (power-forward types) league-wide who pose this sort of problem is so small now that it's really not an issue the majority of the time. The speed of the game has filtered a lot of these power-forward types out as they can't keep pace (see Backes, Lucic, etc.)

Great points- I've always felt this way about Gryz- there are a few guys in the league that will give him a rough time on the end boards and in front of the net, but they are scarce and getting scarcer. Don Sweeney would have absolutely thrived in today's NHL. Poor guy was dealing with the Lindros/LeClair/Tkachuk/Bertuzzis of the world in his day.

Reactions: BruinDust

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He was rough in the round robin, but good lord he's been exceptional these last 2 games. He's been a force in all 3 zones, and has covered up for Chara quite a bit against an awesome orechecking team. There were points in the 3rd where he just took matters into his own hands a lot of the time. He got that penalty in the 3rd, but that call looked questionable at best to me.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He was rough in the round robin, but good lord he's been exceptional these last 2 games. He's been a force in all 3 zones, and has covered up for Chara quite a bit against an awesome orechecking team. There were points in the 3rd where he just took matters into his own hands a lot of the time. He got that penalty in the 3rd, but that call looked questionable at best to me.
Easily our strongest player right now. He’s carrying whoever they pair him with. Love his game and how he ups it when being targeted.

I hope he doesn’t get discouraged and continues his intensity after those soft calls against him.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Easily our strongest player right now. He’s carrying whoever they pair him with. Love his game and how he ups it when being targeted.

I hope he doesn’t get discouraged and continues his intensity after those soft calls against him.

Love when he activates in the offensive zone. His ceiling is absolutely being held back playing with Z. Not supposed to a knock on Z but facts are facts.. due to Chara's lack of foot speed/mobility Charlie can't do the things he'd like to do and things he excels at. When he's paired with Grz he has so much more freedom and can be dangerous in the offensive end. He's been very good through this first 2 games.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I love this whole sequence. Aggressively cuts off the dump-out and puta it down with a guy on him, assertiveness and confidence with the puck to get the zone entry to lead to an opportunity, mixes it up down low before circling back to his off-side, then sees an opportunity to pounce with Staal's head down and lends the knockout blow:

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I’m struggling to name 10 better D in the NHL than him currently

off the top of my head no order

Josi
Pietrangelo
Hedman
Jones
Carlson

after that it gets tough to think of who else id want as my #1 instead of McAvoy

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
Anyone besides me think the Canes will be gunning for Charlie for the rest of the series? I hope they dont but....

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can we talk about how he didn't pass or stand out positively by any statistical measure in this series yet was very obviously the best defenseman and IMO best player on the ice, playing nearly 5 minutes more per game than any other D-man on the team?

5 GP: 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, -2

Of the 22 Bruins that played:

- Most PIMs on the team
- 7th in shots
- 11th in CF%
- 12th in FF%
- T-21st in +/-
- 11th in xGF%
- 10th highest Ozone start %

Lesson: look beyond the stat-sheet

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I’m struggling to name 10 better D in the NHL than him currently

off the top of my head no order

Josi
Pietrangelo
Hedman
Jones
Carlson

after that it gets tough to think of who else id want as my #1 instead of McAvoy

The top 3 D are head and shoulders above the rest.
Hedman, Jones & Josi. There are probably another
at least 10 D you can make an honest argument
for. You mentioned two others. In no order here are
some others.

Parayko, Doughty, Provorov, Makar, Dahlin, Heiskenen,
Petry, Weber, Burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad