Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Only thing that will keep him from being the next Bruins all time great D man is injuries. Will be right up there with Seth Jones and Alex Pietrangelo in talk for the best all around RHD in the league. He's 73rd in PP time for defensemen...

Might call me a homer, but I'd take him over both those guys right now in a heartbeat.... and I really don't think that take is that crazy.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Was talking with someone about the Bruins offense from the back-end if Krug walked. While doing some digging into the numbers, I was surprised to see how good McAvoy was offensive at 5v5. Over the last 3 years, McAvoy ranks 1st among Bruins d-men at 5v5 production

McAvoy - 184 GP / 69 PTS
Krug - 201 GP / 58 PTS
Chara - 203 GP / 43 PTS
Grzelyck - 195 GP / 32 PTS
Carlo - 215 GP / 28 PTS

To take it one step further though, McAvoy ranks T-18th among all NHL d-men in 5v5 scoring over the last 3 seasons. Now you'd think naturally that if he's good 5v5 that he'd be good on the PP...oddly enough he has some of the worst per 60 rates of the leading PP d-men for Boston. Now some of that could have been because he was snake bitten to start the season and maybe some is because the level of talent on PP2 vs PP1 is night and day.

If Krug walked I'd be curious to see what they do on PP1. Do they go to Grz, who've they've gone to before or do they turn the keys over to McAvoy? As it sits now, McAvoy has a P/GP that puts him around 41pts over an 82 games season. Krug gets on average 33pts on the PP a year. If McAvoy could give you even half of what Krug does on the PP, he'd finish an 82 games season with 50+ points.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Love Charlie. The one thing that worries me is his inability to avoid body checks. He gets banged around quite a bit.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Was talking with someone about the Bruins offense from the back-end if Krug walked. While doing some digging into the numbers, I was surprised to see how good McAvoy was offensive at 5v5. Over the last 3 years, McAvoy ranks 1st among Bruins d-men at 5v5 production

McAvoy - 184 GP / 69 PTS
Krug - 201 GP / 58 PTS
Chara - 203 GP / 43 PTS
Grzelyck - 195 GP / 32 PTS
Carlo - 215 GP / 28 PTS

To take it one step further though, McAvoy ranks T-18th among all NHL d-men in 5v5 scoring over the last 3 seasons. Now you'd think naturally that if he's good 5v5 that he'd be good on the PP...oddly enough he has some of the worst per 60 rates of the leading PP d-men for Boston. Now some of that could have been because he was snake bitten to start the season and maybe some is because the level of talent on PP2 vs PP1 is night and day.

If Krug walked I'd be curious to see what they do on PP1. Do they go to Grz, who've they've gone to before or do they turn the keys over to McAvoy? As it sits now, McAvoy has a P/GP that puts him around 41pts over an 82 games season. Krug gets on average 33pts on the PP a year. If McAvoy could give you even half of what Krug does on the PP, he'd finish an 82 games season with 50+ points.

He's an absolute STUD. There's no doubt about it, and it's more impressive and more important IMO to drive play and production 5v5 than on the PP. I don't think there is any question that he could be a 60+ point producer with #1 PP time, but it'll be interesting to see if he gets it should Krug not get re-signed. Either way we have a STUD #1 all-around D and one that will get Norris love in the coming years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Love Charlie. The one thing that worries me is his inability to avoid body checks. He gets banged around quite a bit.

Agree- he gets crunched a lot. Seems like every game he is taking at least one massive hit that rocks him a little.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I sit right behind net row 2 where Bruins defend periods 1 & 3 and amazed how many of the hits on McAvoy as garbage hits ~ borderline late, high, heavy body going thru him. You don’t see this that much on the other D

Columbus used a clean heavy-body thru you

Blues hit high upper body target

Capitals hit late

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He's an absolute STUD. There's no doubt about it, and it's more impressive and more important IMO to drive play and production 5v5 than on the PP. I don't think there is any question that he could be a 60+ point producer with #1 PP time, but it'll be interesting to see if he gets it should Krug not get re-signed. Either way we have a STUD #1 all-around D and one that will get Norris love in the coming years.

I'd be interested to see what his numbers would look like if he had a more mobile d-partner on the back end. Allow for him to take more chances in the offensive zone. Actually curious how he'd look with someone like Vaak or Lauzon, you know more of those defensive minded d-men that can skate.

Reactions: TwineTickler

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Agree- he gets crunched a lot. Seems like every game he is taking at least one massive hit that rocks him a little.

His d-partner is probably the least mobile player in the league, which leads to him having to retrieve every dump in and having to carry every puck out of the zone. Chara is still a good player in specialized situations, but he does put his partner in more vulnerable positions since he just flat out can't do some things anymore. McAvoy is good enough to mitigate Chara's slowness, but I reckon he'd be even better with Lauzon or Grzelcyk next to him.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I sit right behind net row 2 where Bruins defend periods 1 & 3 and amazed how many of the hits on McAvoy as garbage hits ~ borderline late, high, heavy body going thru him. You don’t see this that much on the other D

Columbus used a clean heavy-body thru you

Blues hit high upper body target

Capitals hit late

Bingo.

Reactions: DKH

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

My name is TwineTickler and I approve of this message. On his way to being #1 and a perennial Norris candidate. Remember when people were bitching about him because he no goals and calling for Donnie to move him? That was NUTS.

It's pretty remarkable what a stud he's been since literally day 1 when he stepped in to the playoffs and averaged 26 minutes at 19 years old. He's still only 22 now.

BruinsNetwork

My name is TwineTickler and I approve of this message. On his way to being #1 and a perennial Norris candidate. Remember when people were bitching about him because he no goals and calling for Donnie to move him? That was NUTS.

He’s in the prime of his developmental stages as a player, too. He’s literally only going to be getting better and there is still a shocking amount of fans who are disappointed in what he brings each night. The advanced metrics have been there all season long and he’s been graded in elite territory by many of them.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
McAvoy could literally score 1 goal a season and I wouldn't care, because he's just been that good at every other thing. I'm sure he's capable of potting 10-15 some years but I like my defenseman to be excellent at defending and transitioning plays to the offensive zone, as well as physicality, and McAvoy does all of that with ease.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
He's disrespected by other fans around the league not that there opinion matters. If I had a dollar for every-time I've read that he's not a #1 defense-man on these boards during the covid break alone i'd buy a nice steak dinner for me and my fiance.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Some people might have been bitching about his low point totals but I don't think anybody here wanted him moved.....at least I hope not. :dunno:

Oh it happened.

Well those posters should feel shame.

yJTk0Qqzg2UxtVJI9tJct-E3eaG_6umSBvbVu4shsRdwVSpVeob7aea-OM-mNBRnDy6PDAi5EE_FQV0cwlkaIymbU_LibPGakMuxzUlPPIJyG2OUOYh1yeMipk89u2iOx88hbg5qL2f4sExzMVzl6D2AoBdmWVmVIeIIoabnjBuJcFv5q7eMSS5yCyEoFL75vCrEn4w

He's disrespected by other fans around the league not that there opinion matters. If I had a dollar for every-time I've read that he's not a #1 defense-man on these boards during the covid break alone i'd buy a nice steak dinner for me and my fiance.

And everyone of those homers would kill to have McAvoy on their team. :nod:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
McAvoy could literally score 1 goal a season and I wouldn't care, because he's just been that good at every other thing. I'm sure he's capable of potting 10-15 some years but I like my defenseman to be excellent at defending and transitioning plays to the offensive zone, as well as physicality, and McAvoy does all of that with ease.

He's got a good shot (7.4% shooting percentage). It's just that he doesn't take many and when he does, it's a wrist or snap shot. I think if he could spend some time improving his slapshot and get more comfortable with it, you'd see his goal (and point) totals rise.

Reactions: Emerz

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Funny thing is McAvoy gets overlooked because he doesn't have the eye popping numbers. A lot of that is because he doesn't get the PP time to rack up those numbers.

5v5 P/GP since 2017 puts his at 31pts over an 82 game season. Krug on the PP over the last 3 seasons has averaged 33pts per 82 games. If McAvoy even gives you 75% of what Krug does on the PP, its roughly PP 25pts. A 56pt season is good enough to be top 10 among d-men in a given year.

Reactions: TwineTickler

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
As he gets older he’ll avoid that stuff. He will pick his spots when nailing someone. He’s a keeper. That hit on Josh Anderson in the playoffs was one of the hardest hits I’ve seen. Scott Stevens was the master of it.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad