Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The reason Charlie only got 2 was because the refs didn't want a potential repeat controversy after what happened in the Vegas-San Jose series.

They made the safe call and gave him 2 minutes and figured that the league would deal with supplemental discipline after the fact, which is exactly what is happening.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bruins lucked out here. Charlie could have easily been given 5 and a game. I think the right call was made. I also think it was made because of the disaster of a call made in the San Jose / Vegas series.

This hit is a textbook example of why hits to the head will never be eliminated from the game.

The elbow Backes took warranted a hearing as it was intentional. Charlie had a guy set up on the railroad tracks and Anderson had his head down. (Glad Anderson is ok) Charlies hit was a body check that unfortunately included the head.

I know if one of our guys was hit like this we would be losing our minds right now. That's why I have no issue here. We avoided the 5-minute penalty and if Charlie misses game 1 so be it.

As I already said there is no major for hi to the head. It's a minor or or a match penalty and for it to be a match penalty it has to be intentional

Reactions: Spooner st

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I think he'll get 1 game. Hard to be upset with that, except Kukan should have got a game as well.

Moore is available. He subs in for game 1 against the Hurricanes. Not a replacement for Charlie, but the D will be okay for one game.

Reactions: Mione134

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
As I already said there is no major for hi to the head. It's a minor or or a match penalty and for it to be a match penalty it has to be intentional

I am not arguing for or against the point but to say that any Bruins defensemen did not want to clobber Anderson is an understatement.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So is it the responsibility of the body checker to ascertain and judge the extent of the "blindside" on the guy being hit? Not being snarky at all.

I don't have an issue if the league wants to use a "principal point of contact" measure, and live with the fact that sometimes the puck carrier is at fault himself but it's just easier to put the burden on the checker. I'm okay with that to the extent the goal is to cut down on head shots. But if the hitter now also needs to be aware of how aware the puck carrier is, that's another issue entirely to me. I think the puck carrier is 100% responsible for keeping their head up and in no way is their head being down to be a factor in assessing penalty to the checker.

As soon as you introduce subjectivity here I think it becomes a ****show. Which is probably why it is a ****show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Debrusk was targeted, *******
No shit Einstein! And McAvoy was targeting the boards eh? The difference was intent. He tried to throw a hit, it went wrong, hit Anderson in the head (are you gonna deny that to?). Lucky Anderson was ok. Accept the facts and move on. But but Kukan... It’s got nothing to do with this incident.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No **** Einstein! And McAvoy was targeting the boards eh? The difference was intent. He tried to throw a hit, it went wrong, hit Anderson in the head (are you gonna deny that to?). Lucky Anderson was ok. Accept the facts and move on. But but Kukan... It’s got nothing to do with this incident.

Take a breath.

If someone says Debrusk was targeted it just means it’s specific to Debrusk. As in Kadri specifically made the hit because of who it was.

McAvoy wasn’t targeting anyone. I believe he would’ve made the same hit had Anderson had ANY other name on his back.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
I believe the point of the “hearing” is so that the player is allowed to plead their case. I doubt it will make a difference.

I would rather have McAvoy miss Game 1 than 5 and the game last night in a Game 6. Silver lining of him getting a game is that it will disprove the notion that the NHL is biased in favor of the Bruins.
Who cares? Haters gonna hate

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The reason Charlie only got 2 was because the refs didn't want a potential repeat controversy after what happened in the Vegas-San Jose series.

They made the safe call and gave him 2 minutes and figured that the league would deal with supplemental discipline after the fact, which is exactly what is happening.

Yup.

Even if it was somewhat “subconscious”, I believe this to be true.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think he'll get 1 game. Hard to be upset with that, except Kukan should have got a game as well.

Moore is available. He subs in for game 1 against the Hurricanes. Not a replacement for Charlie, but the D will be okay for one game.

Is John available? I was trying to figure this out. Last I can find news on him, he seems to still be injured.

Or am I just completely off on this...?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

The match penalty is 5 minutes and booted from the game, which is what i think he means. You can get a major and still play in the game after you serve the time.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I don’t see any comparison between the Kadri play and the McAvoy play.

Zero.

Doughty was suspended one game last year for a similar hit on Carrier from Vegas.
What about the fact both we’re fine after the hit? That was my point. Being fine lessens the discipline, but doesn’t change the fact there was transgression. If being fine was the main criteria, then kadri wouldn’t have gotten suspended.

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Looking at the hit from different angles, CM did hit him in the chest and caught his chin at the same time. It looks way worse IMO when looking at it from the ice, when looking at it from the stands it didn't look that bad. He'll either get a suspension or he won't, all the talk comparing it to other hits won't matter when it comes down to making that decision. Personal opinion aside, I won't be shocked if he gets 1 game.

As for the talk about stopping the headhunting, how does the NHL think they are going to stop it when a player only gets 2 minutes for it during a game? If it's a direct hit to the noggin, shouldn't that player be given a 5 and GM? I'm no officiating expert but that seems the logical way to deal with a head shot.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Think the issue when comparing hits stems from some of them not getting enough of a suspension, not that there was one in the first place.

Thornton clearly picked the head. Doughty as well. One game each.

McAvoy I don’t think was trying to, but he was absolutely trying to blow up Anderson.

Problem is you can’t suspend guys for a period. Because based on the aforementioned rulings that’s what he should be getting.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Take a breath.

If someone says Debrusk was targeted it just means it’s specific to Debrusk. As in Kadri specifically made the hit because of who it was.

McAvoy wasn’t targeting anyone. I believe he would’ve made the same hit had Anderson had ANY other name on his back.
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows what Charlie was thinking? Anderson has been hitting Dmen all series long. I think Charlie knew who he was hitting. But I’d be assuming just like you as to what his intent was.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just give him a game so we can stop this whole false narrative that the league somehow favors us (lol).

Hoisting the cup will be even sweeter, and Charlie is gonna come back recharged and rested.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The reverse angle shows that it was a hit to the upper chest. Shouldn't be anything if f***ing Kukan didn't even get a phone call for trying to decapitate Bsckes. But knowing the league, they'll screw us like they always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad