Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This is all about keeping the Toronto media happy. They try to get a Bruin suspended any chance they get.

Reactions: veganbruin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No they don’t. People find all the examples they can that are “similar” to the situation (all of which happen to favor their stance) to try to argue why the DOPS is a joke and why their player can’t/shouldn’t be suspended. “Consistency” is the buzzword every fanbase from every league uses to justify why their team gets screwed because they can dig up examples which point the other way. Sometimes the examples are actually similar. Other times, they’re laughably desperate comparisons.

When inevitably the authority comes to a different conclusion than the fan, said fan chalks it up to something along the lines of “this league is a joke”. And “inconsistency”.

And no, I’m not saying that I’ve agreed with nearly every call that DOPS has made, but I also can accept that it’s a clear reality that no one person is going to agree with everything they do.

You are painting with a broad brush. Some fans bring up examples to try to predict the punishment, some use examples to show why a player for their team shouldn’t be suspended. Some use them to show the complete and utter lack of consistency with which the DOPS operates.

This is not me disagreeing with their conclusions, this is me stating fact. I guarantee I can go back and find three nearly identical hits from players with similar histories that resulted in three different punishments.

I can honestly say that I disagree with more DOPS rulings than I agree with.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Foligino said it was probably the right call. Dom confirms it above. Should there be a higher minimum for checks to the head instead of a minor? You bet. Have there been much less that have received match penalties in the regular season? Absolutely. But in the context of this game, it was the right call.

Now, doesn't mean he isn't getting suspended. But you never know with DoPSS. Department of Player Safety Sometimes.

I saw foligno post game interview he said I am not going there it just sucks when you see your guy laying on the ice from a hit that was unnecessary. I dont see anything about the call being ok in his eyes

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I saw foligno post game interview he said I am not going there it just sucks when you see your guy laying on the ice from a hit that was unnecessary.

All hits are unnecessary. Mcavoys hit was a play. He didn’t have to make a play if he didn’t want to. He made a play. It was a play that wasn’t legal, it wasn’t intentionally illegal but it was an illegal dangerous hit they he made on accident. I don’t know what exactly he’ll get but 1-2 seems fair. If kadri got 3-5 for a dangerous play on purpose and he’s a history. Mcavoy getting 1-2 for a dangerous play on accident without a history seems fair to me

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You are painting with a broad brush. Some fans bring up examples to try to predict the punishment, some use examples to show why a player for their team shouldn’t be suspended. Some use them to show the complete and utter lack of consistency with which the DOPS operates.

This is not me disagreeing with their conclusions, this is me stating fact. I guarantee I can go back and find three nearly identical hits from players with similar histories that resulted in three different punishments.

I can honestly say that I disagree with more DOPS rulings than I agree with.
Find me one. With video.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Does anyone know anyone in the hockey world who says he won't be suspended . I ask because I only saw CBC and it was 5/0 yes . I assume the way people on here are complaining NBC was pretty much the same . The closest rebuttal I heard was Elliot Freedman say if he got 5 they might of let him slide on a suspension but now no chance . I get pissy at the media as well but I think we would need one or two guys saying no suspension to have a chance . I am not saying those guys dont exist I just want to hear a name to give me hope .

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
All hits are unnecessary. Mcavoys hit was a play. He didn’t have to make a play if he didn’t want to. He made a play. It was a play that wasn’t legal, it wasn’t intentionally illegal but it was an illegal dangerous hit they he made on accident. I don’t know what exactly he’ll get but 1-2 seems fair. If kadri got 3-5 for a dangerous play on purpose and he’s a history. Mcavoy getting 1-2 for a dangerous play on accident without a history seems fair to me

I don’t see any comparison between the Kadri play and the McAvoy play.

Zero.

Doughty was suspended one game last year for a similar hit on Carrier from Vegas.

Reactions: Sevendust

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don’t see any comparison between the Kadri play and the McAvoy play.

Zero.

Doughty was suspended one game last year for a similar hit on Carrier from Vegas.
Yeah we are on the same page. The only thing I said they had in common was that they were dangerous plays. I think one game for mcavoy is fair, 2 is steep and anything more is outrageous. 0 is getting off with some good luck.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Find me one. With video.

You misunderstand. I’m not talking about McAvoy’s hit.

I am saying that I can find three similar hits from three players with similar histories that the DOPS gave three different rulings on (speaking to their inconsistency).

I already referenced a hit that I thought was very similar to McAvoy’s, Doughty’s hit on Carrier. That one resulted in a one game suspension, which is what I think Charlie will get.

If he gets anything more, I can add this ruling to the long list of bad ones.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
IDK. When I look at the play I see simultaneous contact of the head and chest. There is head contact and that can't be denied so I could live with a one game suspension.

I don't see any bad intent and it's not like Anderson is a choir boy that isn't guilty of a few indiscretions himself. You live by the sword and then die by the sword so to speak.

I strongly believe head shots must be removed from the game but so far suspensions have not proven to be very successful to that end. Kind of like democracy, it's not perfect but what is better?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You misunderstand. I’m not talking about McAvoy’s hit.

I am saying that I can find three similar hits from three players with similar histories that the DOPS gave three different rulings on (speaking to their inconsistency).

I already referenced a hit that I thought was very similar to McAvoy’s, Doughty’s hit on Carrier. That one resulted in a one game suspension, which is what I think Charlie will get.

If he gets anything more, I can add this ruling to the long list of bad ones.
Actually doughty hit is not similar. If anything it should be more then McAvoy.

But I think McAvoy deserves 1

Reactions: easton117

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

So cross checking someone in the face on purpose, with a history to his name only deserves one more game? Where as Charlie was making a hockey play that turned bad due to positioning and who doesn't have any prior suspensions or hearings.

Not to mention JA was back the very next shift. They blow it up that "he didn't return for the rest of the period" there was 20 seconds left.

The hit deserved 2 minutes for a check to the head because of how it turned out. But if he gets suspended then you need to look at every single hit that is made in this league because this stuff happens every game.

Reactions: Spooner st

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I get that suspending him would be consistent with the Thornton suspension (not the same hit exactly, but close enough), but no suspension for the elbow on Backes and anyone remember the headshot by Hornqvist on McAvoy a year or two ago? That was another one that was worse than McAvoy's hit on Anderson & didn't even get a penalty.

Just be consistent, that's all I ask.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Actually doughty hit is not similar. If anything it should be more then McAvoy.

But I think McAvoy deserves 1

I think they are similar enough to use as a suspension comparison.

Doughty came from further away and one could say that Doughty’s was a “revenge” hit because Carrier had hit him several times in that game.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So cross checking someone in the face on purpose, with a history to his name only deserves one more game? Where as Charlie was making a hockey play that turned bad due to positioning and who doesn't have any prior suspensions or hearings.

Not to mention JA was back the very next shift. They blow it up that "he didn't return for the rest of the period" there was 20 seconds left.

The hit deserved 2 minutes for a check to the head because of how it turned out. But if he gets suspended then you need to look at every single hit that is made in this league because this stuff happens every game.

No hits like that don’t happen every game. And I think he should get one. I’m not comparing kadri to mcavoy in any respect outside the fact that they were 2 dangerous plays. Kadris hit was intentionally malicious, not a hockey play, and intent to injure. Mcavoy was just a dangerous play that he didn’t mean to do. I don’t know how the dops operates. I assume that intent is a major factor as is history. Both of those things are in Charlie’s favor as I don’t think he meant to hit Anderson in the head. Also Anderson wasn’t hurt which is a big factor. The only thing going against mcavoy is that he hit him flush in the head regardless of intent you can’t hit people flush in the head. Will that be 1 game? 0? I think 0 games and Boston gets off lucky (I don’t rule out 0), 1 game is probably fair, and 2 games Boston got unlucky and the dops sends a message. I think any of those 3 scenarios can happen. If he gets 3 that’s absurd. But 1 I think is fair because regardless of mcavoys intent, he still clocked him in the head

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
1 game at most, to lip servicing Tronto mafia.

Wouldn't be surprised if only a slap on hand.

Reactions: DKH

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think they are similar enough to use as a suspension comparison.

Doughty came from further away and one could say that Doughty’s was a “revenge” hit because Carrier had hit him several times in that game.

And Anderson's head was down because of the Chara effect.

How DOPS interprets that will be key.

Also doughty was more blindsided then McAvoy.

Just my opinion but not similar at all. One in complete control of the puck and more blindsided. The other with his head down caused by an engagement just ended and less blindsided

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Bruins lucked out here. Charlie could have easily been given 5 and a game. I think the right call was made. I also think it was made because of the disaster of a call made in the San Jose / Vegas series.

This hit is a textbook example of why hits to the head will never be eliminated from the game.

The elbow Backes took warranted a hearing as it was intentional. Charlie had a guy set up on the railroad tracks and Anderson had his head down. (Glad Anderson is ok) Charlies hit was a body check that unfortunately included the head.

I know if one of our guys was hit like this we would be losing our minds right now. That's why I have no issue here. We avoided the 5-minute penalty and if Charlie misses game 1 so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad