Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
But if it's a good comp, then it should be a good trade comp, no? If not, then maybe it's not the best comp.

No, it doesn't need to be. If we asked Jets fans they probably would tell us to keep Charlie. How is it not a good comp? Very similar numbers, both good puck movers main difference is one stays healthy more.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
No, it doesn't need to be. If we asked Jets fans they probably would tell us to keep Charlie. How is it not a good comp? Very similar numbers, both good puck movers main difference is one stays healthy more.
By that description, it sounds like Morrissey is the better player.

But goals and assists are all that matters, so Carlo should only be asking for about a buck-and-a-half.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd pose the same question here.

McAvoy for Provorov. Do you like it?

I'm not sure I do.

Nope, don't like that either. I think McAvoy is better than any of the three "comparables" named here. However, the same caveats still apply. Provorov has proved even less than McAvoy to me, and there is still the durability questions with him. I am just trying to understand what the big hold up is here. If these three deals are a signal for what Mac could expect, why the hell couldn't this have been done sooner? Those are not exorbitant contracts at all. As Dom pointed out, they could have signed McAvoy months ago and no one would have blinked at that price and whatever term is attached. So, is McAvoy trying for 7+? 8?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
By that description, it sounds like Morrissey is the better player.

But goals and assists are all that matters, so Carlo should only be asking for about a buck-and-a-half.

That's how negotiations go , try to show how a player making a certain salary may be equal,better, or marginally below and how that compares to what you should get.

Goals and assists aren't all that matters but it's what brings in the money. Find me a Dman who doesn't put up the points who's getting paid,especially as a RFA.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Nope, don't like that either. I think McAvoy is better than any of the three "comparables" named here. However, the same caveats still apply. Provorov has proved even less than McAvoy to me, and there is still the durability questions with him. I am just trying to understand what the big hold up is here. If these three deals are a signal for what Mac could expect, why the hell couldn't this have been done sooner? Those are not exorbitant contracts at all. As Dom pointed out, they could have signed McAvoy months ago and no one would have blinked at that price and whatever term is attached. So, is McAvoy trying for 7+? 8?

You seem to be trying really hard to make this a contentious situation. This is always what happens with RFAs - especially when there’s a big crop like this year. Camp hasn’t even opened yet. Carlo can’t sign until McAvoy signs. This is normal not a Mitch Marner drama...

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
By fancy stats model McAvoy blows Werenski, Morrisey and Provorov out of the water. McAvoy is pretty close to being among the very best defencemen in the NHL. His comps aren't. I understand though that stuff like counting stats, eye test and media attention are what primarily seem to drive player wages, so I'd be pretty happy if they can get him locked up at under 7 million. 8 years at under 8 million would make him look like the biggest bargain in the league in a year or two.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
By fancy stats model McAvoy blows Werenski, Morrisey and Provorov out of the water. McAvoy is pretty close to being among the very best defencemen in the NHL. His comps aren't. I understand though that stuff like counting stats, eye test and media attention are what primarily seem to drive player wages, so I'd be pretty happy if they can get him locked up at under 7 million. 8 years at under 8 million would make him look like the biggest bargain in the league in a year or two.

I think the big thing is that he's better defensively than any of those 3.

I think the one argument the Bruins have is health/durability. Provorov and Werenski have missed 0 and 9 games, respectively, over their 3 years in the league. McAvoy has missed 47 over 2. As they say, the best ability is availability.

I think the health stuff balances it out such that he should get a similar deal to either Provorov or Werenski.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Today is the day. It's gotta be. Training camp has started. There is a long-term and short-term comp. Get it done.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
We've all compared them before, but McAvoy really is a Doughty lite.

McAvoy doesn't get top PP minutes, plays against the oppositions top lines, plays on the PK and only gets better every year.

I personally want him locked up to a max contract....do whatever it takes.
There's something really special with McAvoy, I agree. Do whatever it takes to get him signed.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Actually , yes I do. They are at the very least equivalents. How is Provarov better than those two, in what way?
I believe that Provorov's role on his team as a #1 the last 2 years and the 6-year term he signed makes him more comparable to McAvoy than the other two.

Morrissey is 2-3 years older and has not been the go-to #1 in WPG thus far so I see him as less of a comparable to Provorov/McAvoy
Werenski is much closer, I just find his 3-year deal less equivalent as the expectation is for McAvoy to sign a longer term deal (6+years). Werenski would probably project to be the same cap hit as Provorov on a 6 year deal too.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You seem to be trying really hard to make this a contentious situation. This is always what happens with RFAs - especially when there’s a big crop like this year. Camp hasn’t even opened yet. Carlo can’t sign until McAvoy signs. This is normal not a Mitch Marner drama...

No, not really putting that much effort into it to be honest. I think it is a grand total of two posts. But whatever. By the way camp opened yesterday before I posted that. And no, Carlo did not have to wait till McAvoy signs. Different players, different projections, different skill sets. Heinen re-signed without a blip. Either one, or both, of these guys could have been done months ago. The Bruins have proven post-Harry to be willing to pay: Rask got paid, Chara got paid, Krejci got paid, Bergy etc. all at good contracts for the time they were signed. So what's the problem?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I understand trying to pinpoint a McAvoy number being a bit iffy up to recently with the signings of two others who appear to be fairly reasonable comps but what confuses me is why the B`s haven`t locked up Carlo first? Not saying Brandon is more important but I would think he would be the guy they could get done earlier then have an idea of where they sit cap wise.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I believe that Provorov's role on his team as a #1 the last 2 years and the 6-year term he signed makes him more comparable to McAvoy than the other two.

Morrissey is 2-3 years older and has not been the go-to #1 in WPG thus far so I see him as less of a comparable to Provorov/McAvoy
Werenski is much closer, I just find his 3-year deal less equivalent as the expectation is for McAvoy to sign a longer term deal (6+years). Werenski would probably project to be the same cap hit as Provorov on a 6 year deal too.

That's fair, my counter would be that Morrissey is including UFA years while Charlie would be all RFA years going straight into UFA. That is what Sweeny rightfully refuses to do.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I understand trying to pinpoint a McAvoy number being a bit iffy up to recently with the signings of two others who appear to be fairly reasonable comps but what confuses me is why the B`s haven`t locked up Carlo first? Not saying Brandon is more important but I would think he would be the guy they could get done earlier then have an idea of where they sit cap wise.
I don't disagree with this line of thinking... but I think it comes down to McAvoy being more important, hence, they really need his deal done to dictate the pieces around him. Carlo and whom/whatever transactions need to happen to get Carlo done and the team cap compliant. There's also probably a much larger gap between their offer and McAvoy's ask, so it really depends where that falls to see what the final moves will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad