Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by TP, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim

Jim Registered User

The Coyotes’ GM is an idiot. I hope they continue to toil in inconsequential Purgatory until the NHL realizes that these advanced statistics nerds are a supplement at best....not to be used in place of experienced hockey people.

Hire a 28 year old to do that kind of job, wind up with an 8 year/$57 mil contract for a guy that hasn’t broken the 70 point plateau, and failed to reach 50 pts last year. Hope it was a fun experiment.

There isn’t a GM in the league that doesn’t want to paddle that guy right now.

2. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Grz-tastic Sponsor

History Professor
    And lookit, the source is Jimmy Murphy. Well it must be true, then.

3. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Pretty sure @Dom - OHL had McAvoy stuff before Murphy

Smitty93 and SoldiersOfFilth like this.
  4. Dr Hook

History Professor
    Where do you think Jimmy gets his information? :naughty:

Saxon Eric likes this.
  5. WithOutPaperss

WithOutPaperss 633788

This post is way off. Keller has horrible advanced stats metrics to start. Second, yes he hit 47 points last season, but you have to take into the context of his team's talent. 47 points led the team - they were injured and anaemic offensively - but at 20 years old he was their top point getter.

Logically as long as the team improves around him he should surpass that point total easily. He's taking a risk for sure by paying for future potential. If Keller goes off on his last year of his ELC this season then that contract will look genius.

Glove Malfunction and Skelen like this.
  6. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I always thought it was the little leprechaun in his head..

;)

BMC and Dr Hook like this.
  7. Dom - OHL

Dom - OHL RETIRED Sponsor

Home Page:
    Bruins are top 5 (ahead of the Yotes) on emphasis and money put towards analytics. They put a lot of resources and work into it. Even though @Fenian24 thinks they are still cheap.

I'm not saying its the right/wrong thing to do. Just stating facts.

8. Dom - OHL

Home Page:
    I believe the sticking point right now isn't term, isn't dollars, but lockout protection, even though a lockout looks unlikely. But players still want their security. (well the agents do)

The Bruins usually have been reluctant to hand out lockout security. Marchand was protected with his deal for every possible lockout scenario. Pastrnak was given one possible protection scenario. It helped keep the cap hit down as well. It's just about coming up with a number the Bruins and player are comfortable with if there is a lost season/part season.

The Yotes today set the market for lockout protection for an RFA

Alicat, Lord Ahriman and Dr Hook like this.
  9. yazmybaby

yazmybaby Registered User

Short term the deal looks bad, wont know until year 2,3,4etc. If Keller scores 60+++ points a year, the signing will not be that bad. That is what a 60+++ point centerman gets nowadays. Look at what Kevin Hayes got from the Flyers and he has never scored more than 60 points in a year! He is a career 50 point in 82 game player. Its a great signing if you are Tkachuk , Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Connor are all laughing now. If I was their agent I would start the negotiations at a number not lower than 9 million now. Good luck to all!!

10. Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky Sponsor

EMR Consultant
    Besides here, you mean?

jgatie, Alicat, BMC and 1 other person like this.
  11. UncleRico

UncleRico Registered User

Please move backes so we can give McAvoy 8 years at $7.5m. That would be beyond a bargain in about 2-3 years. Then we can give Carlo a long term deal where the last couple years will be a bargain as well.

12. Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan Bruin fan since 1975

not earning enough to pay the bills
    take a look at clayton kellers contract today for another example of the changing times. there will always be some guys that never get big money whether they are ufa/rfa... we can eliminate half the players in the nhl as there are only 403 players making more than 2 mill... I think you would agree that all talented rfa get over 2 mill. Heinen got it for us here... spooner did a couple years ago... carlo will...

so anyone who is worth anything will get more than 2 mill... but look at the number of ufa who are having to sign on for much less... look at Patrick maroon as a recent example... lets see what Patrick marleau ends up with... there are definitely ufa that are taking well under 2 mill

9 of the 60 guys making between 2.1 mill and 3 mill are under the age of 25... 51 are over 25 or are guys that are ufa or giving up ufa years. its not hotshot kids that are siging under 3 mill, its actually qualified good vets who are being paid as ufa

12 of 78 guys making between 3 mill and 4 mill are under 25... again most the guys in this reasonable price range were ufa or soon to be ufa

guys who are 25 and under making between 4-5 mill include
    Brett Pesce
    Olli maata
    damon severson
    Jonas brodin
    Oscar klefbom
    Jordan billington
    codi ceci
    Jacob chychurn
    ryan murray
    alex tuch
    colin white
    Vincent tochek
    elias Lindholm
    michael matheson
    alex galchenyuk
    alexander wennberg
    noah hanifin

so there are 191 guys making more than 5 mill... basically an average of 6 per team... so in theory the top line/top defense and starting goalie might all justify 5 mill and more

22 of these guys are under the age of 25... 10 are 25...and 18 are 26

the highest paid player in the nhl is now connor McDavid... Austin Mathews and jack Eichel are also in the top 12 paid players... leon draisailt, Sebastian aho, and ryan johnason make it 6 of the top 30 players in the nhl all signed as rfa and still under age

there once was a day that players wouldnt make ufa money in their rfa years... but that day is gone. the elite players get paid elite money even when they are rfa

clayton kellers new deal will make him the 31st hightest paid player if no new deals are signed... but we know that marner, rantanan, tkchuck and the other rfa are licking their chops

by this time next year I would estimate almost half the top 40 pa1d players in the nhl will be under 27

13. Hockeyscribe0712

Hockeyscribe0712 Registered User

Hockey Reporter
    Home Page:
    Considering I posted that at 8 AM Monday and that tweet was over six hours later, not from Dom or here. I got all the respect in the world for Dom and despite so many of you showing me not so fond feelings here, you too. You can bash me all you want, but at least get your facts and timestamps correct. Despite what you think, I don't lurk here and steal info or scoops. I respect the hell out of all your knowledge and simply not my style to steal. To get things wrong? Well....;)

Dr Hook likes this.
  14. weaponomega

weaponomega Registered User

Bank Robber
    The coyotes are clearly betting on Keller and that he breaks out and signing him before he does. Given his talent it's a reasonable stance for them to take. If he becomes a 90+ point player, which is entirely possible, then it's a 10+ million dollar contract.

15. BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad Registered User

Overpaying young RFAs > overpaying UFAs see Loui/Backes/Lucic etc etc.

I like their team. Might be getting Carl and Phil a year or two too late but they are trying to not be too young.

Keller is a young kid who put up 112 points in 2 years before being old enough to drink. I'd love to have a center like him in the system. He makes the same as Krejci its a reasonable deal.

16. Glove Malfunction

EMR Consultant
    We got the Weekender package, because, well, you gotta have hockey. There's a lot of excitement about the team as the season is getting ready to kick off. I think if they stay healthy, and if the goaltending holds up, with the additions they made, they are a good bet to make the playoffs. I think like @weaponomega does - they feel like Keller is going to break out, and signing him now is a hedge against having to pay him a lot more after he does. That sure seems to be the way the league is trending now - paying high-performing and high-potential RFAs for the years ahead of them rather than paying them more because of what they did in the years leading up to UFA status, as had been the case for so long.

And since this is ostensibly a McAvoy thread, I think this is exactly what the Bruins are going to do with McAvoy. Pay him a good contract now, when in the next few years, it will turn into a great value signing.

17. BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad Registered User

I don't think Arizona has the horses to become a power or a dynasty but that kind of high end talent hasn't helped Edmonton or Toronto much. Think the top 2 Western teams are Vegas and SJ and they have both lost some of their balance.

I sure hope so re McAvoy. Again I love the intangibles of McAvoy vs Trouba hes the best direct comp having just signed and I think 2x the player anything under what he makes is fine with me.

18. DKH

DKH Registered User

this makes sense- I'd probably do either deal the 8 year or the shorter 3 at $5,5, which I like better

I'm good with Carlo 3.75 and McAvoy $5.25 for $9 M fixed costs on these two over next 3 years

Rask/Backes/Krejci over 20 M drop off in 2 summers

they get a nice little break $3.1 from Beleseky and Seids after this season- Chara? Miller....maybe Halak

bump Krug to 6.75 from 5.25 and if Coyle plays like I think from $3.2 to 5-6.4....get Debrusk as Glorydaze mentions on a bridge till you get the big contracts off

you put Moore on LTIR and see where Miller is for now

works

19. Glove Malfunction

EMR Consultant
    I don't think anyone thinks the Coyotes will be a dynasty, or even a "power". I just think they are young enough and added enough talent to mmake the playoffs this year, which will be a step forward for them.

You're right, McAvoy's every bit as good as Trouba, and has more upside - which I FULLY expect him to attain.

20. Dr Hook

History Professor
    Well, now that you are a homer, you would say that :laugh:

Glove Malfunction, BMC and Spooner st like this.
  21. Dr Hook

History Professor
    Not bad thinking here, but Rask at this point I think stays unless one of the yutes completely amazes every one. It can work well, but I have to think that this is predicated on no signing an expensive FA or trading for one for that top 6 wing job. One of the young guys has to nail that down. And there is Gryz who needs new deal also and he deserves a decent raise.

22. Dom - OHL

Home Page:
    Dom isn't dropping a bomb on Twitter. Just playing a "what do you think" game.

I did this back in 2017 with Pastrnak and there was a "lot of hate" when I tweeted it. But then it turned out Pasta signed for almost exactly that (the signing bonuses were off)

So, now I'm doing the same with McAvoy. What say you?

Some confusion on Twitter though. Although McAvoy will have had 7 seasons by then, thus making him a UFA, year one does NOT count as he was not on the active roster for 40 games. So he would still be RFA after the above "proposal"

23. Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan Bruin fan since 1975

not earning enough to pay the bills
    I get that paid hockey experts need to justify getting paid... but alot of this crap goes into the 'for entertainment bin only' box

Someone says bruins were kicking tires on offer sheeting jacob trouba? Bruins under the jacobs regeim have NEVER done an offer sheet

But watching behind the b's we all saw proof there are many voices involved in discusions

Have the bruins discussed signing matt duchesne as an ufa? Or trading for mark stone? Or drafting kid B instead of A?

Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of insider gossip and i appreciate the guys who have the best connections

I appreciate guys who work hard professionally to grow their list of connections

Ultimately, at the end of the day... true credibility is earned when more of your stuff provides entertainment instead of boredom of irritation

I dont like trade deadline day when tsn and sportsnet are patting themselves on the back for having some information 1 min and 17 seconds before the other guys have it... and it dont impress me much here either.

To Dom... i liked your idea for mcavoy. Weve all seen you wired in on other situations like this... so crossing my fingers now you will be close to accurate on this one too. 6.25 fits the teams internal pay hiarchy. 4 years for mcavoy now makes him easier to resign to an 8 year deal when he reups

Paying guys after 33 is risky but our ducks will line up nicely for 12 years if this goes down

24. Flannelman

Flannelman Quiet, Gnashgab.

Another popular idea that seems it will be a trend is having the last year, while still ending as an RFA, end in a higher number to ensure that the QO for retention would also be high.

I like the deal and would hap-hap-happily sign that.

25. Dom - OHL

Home Page:
    Actually Travis, the QO under my scenario is just 3.5 million.

Give and take. Mac gets lockout protection though likely won't need it, B's get protection should he stumble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.