Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
McAvoy BU buddy Clayton Keller appears to be ready to ink a 8 year deal for $7.15 per

I’d go there with Charlie- maybe even up to close to 8

But it’s either short or long term none of this Mathews/Marner ‘have my cake & eat it too’ crap
The Coyotes’ GM is an idiot. I hope they continue to toil in inconsequential Purgatory until the NHL realizes that these advanced statistics nerds are a supplement at best....not to be used in place of experienced hockey people.

Hire a 28 year old to do that kind of job, wind up with an 8 year/$57 mil contract for a guy that hasn’t broken the 70 point plateau, and failed to reach 50 pts last year. Hope it was a fun experiment.

There isn’t a GM in the league that doesn’t want to paddle that guy right now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Coyotes’ GM is an idiot. I hope they continue to toil in inconsequential Purgatory until the NHL realizes that these advanced statistics nerds are a supplement at best....not to be used in place of experienced hockey people.

Hire a 28 year old to do that kind of job, wind up with an 8 year/$57 mil contract for a guy that hasn’t broken the 70 point plateau, and failed to reach 50 pts last year. Hope it was a fun experiment.

This post is way off. Keller has horrible advanced stats metrics to start. Second, yes he hit 47 points last season, but you have to take into the context of his team's talent. 47 points led the team - they were injured and anaemic offensively - but at 20 years old he was their top point getter.

Logically as long as the team improves around him he should surpass that point total easily. He's taking a risk for sure by paying for future potential. If Keller goes off on his last year of his ELC this season then that contract will look genius.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Bruins are top 5 (ahead of the Yotes) on emphasis and money put towards analytics. They put a lot of resources and work into it. Even though @Fenian24 thinks they are still cheap.

I'm not saying its the right/wrong thing to do. Just stating facts.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Where do you think Jimmy gets his information? :naughty:

Pretty sure @Dom - OHL had McAvoy stuff before Murphy

I believe the sticking point right now isn't term, isn't dollars, but lockout protection, even though a lockout looks unlikely. But players still want their security. (well the agents do)

The Bruins usually have been reluctant to hand out lockout security. Marchand was protected with his deal for every possible lockout scenario. Pastrnak was given one possible protection scenario. It helped keep the cap hit down as well. It's just about coming up with a number the Bruins and player are comfortable with if there is a lost season/part season.

The Yotes today set the market for lockout protection for an RFA

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Short term the deal looks bad, wont know until year 2,3,4etc. If Keller scores 60+++ points a year, the signing will not be that bad. That is what a 60+++ point centerman gets nowadays. Look at what Kevin Hayes got from the Flyers and he has never scored more than 60 points in a year! He is a career 50 point in 82 game player. Its a great signing if you are Tkachuk , Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Connor are all laughing now. If I was their agent I would start the negotiations at a number not lower than 9 million now. Good luck to all!!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Boston Bruins star quarterback Charlie McAvoy is in the same situation with a number of other young NHL stars, as his man's contract continues to wait for him to knock on training camps.

Bruins insider rep Jimmy Murphy says a source inside the club has confirmed that the parties are currently feverishly negotiating a deal to ensure McAvoy joins the team early in the training season.

The reporter says Bruins is ready to offer last year's $ 5.5 million annual salary for the 21-year-old star of 7 + 21 = 28, after all, with Brandon Carlo, another limited free defender.

McAvoy's camp, in turn, is seeking an 8-year and about $ 60 million renewal card for the Florida Panthers' Aaron Ekblad deal, which would guarantee McAvoy $ 7.5 million in seasonal earnings in the future.

However, according to an insider source, a shorter bridge agreement is currently underway, which would leave Bruins room to hire Carlo. The club currently has only $ 7 million in reserves on its payroll, although moving David Backes' contract to the long-term injured list frees up $ 6 million in additional salary.

Please move backes so we can give McAvoy 8 years at $7.5m. That would be beyond a bargain in about 2-3 years. Then we can give Carlo a long term deal where the last couple years will be a bargain as well.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I’d bet my house that if you looked at dollars per point, UFAs come in higher than RFAs consistently every year.

Not going to spend the time and do the math cause, well, in the history of HF I’ve never seen anyone change their mind :laugh:

take a look at clayton kellers contract today for another example of the changing times. there will always be some guys that never get big money whether they are ufa/rfa... we can eliminate half the players in the nhl as there are only 403 players making more than 2 mill... I think you would agree that all talented rfa get over 2 mill. Heinen got it for us here... spooner did a couple years ago... carlo will...

so anyone who is worth anything will get more than 2 mill... but look at the number of ufa who are having to sign on for much less... look at Patrick maroon as a recent example... lets see what Patrick marleau ends up with... there are definitely ufa that are taking well under 2 mill

9 of the 60 guys making between 2.1 mill and 3 mill are under the age of 25... 51 are over 25 or are guys that are ufa or giving up ufa years. its not hotshot kids that are siging under 3 mill, its actually qualified good vets who are being paid as ufa

12 of 78 guys making between 3 mill and 4 mill are under 25... again most the guys in this reasonable price range were ufa or soon to be ufa

guys who are 25 and under making between 4-5 mill include
Brett Pesce
Olli maata
damon severson
Jonas brodin
Oscar klefbom
Jordan billington
codi ceci
Jacob chychurn
ryan murray
alex tuch
colin white
Vincent tochek
elias Lindholm
michael matheson
alex galchenyuk
alexander wennberg
noah hanifin

so there are 191 guys making more than 5 mill... basically an average of 6 per team... so in theory the top line/top defense and starting goalie might all justify 5 mill and more

22 of these guys are under the age of 25... 10 are 25...and 18 are 26

the highest paid player in the nhl is now connor McDavid... Austin Mathews and jack Eichel are also in the top 12 paid players... leon draisailt, Sebastian aho, and ryan johnason make it 6 of the top 30 players in the nhl all signed as rfa and still under age

there once was a day that players wouldnt make ufa money in their rfa years... but that day is gone. the elite players get paid elite money even when they are rfa

clayton kellers new deal will make him the 31st hightest paid player if no new deals are signed... but we know that marner, rantanan, tkchuck and the other rfa are licking their chops

by this time next year I would estimate almost half the top 40 pa1d players in the nhl will be under 27

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

The coyotes are clearly betting on Keller and that he breaks out and signing him before he does. Given his talent it's a reasonable stance for them to take. If he becomes a 90+ point player, which is entirely possible, then it's a 10+ million dollar contract.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Overpaying young RFAs > overpaying UFAs see Loui/Backes/Lucic etc etc.

I like their team. Might be getting Carl and Phil a year or two too late but they are trying to not be too young.

Keller is a young kid who put up 112 points in 2 years before being old enough to drink. I'd love to have a center like him in the system. He makes the same as Krejci its a reasonable deal.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Overpaying young RFAs > overpaying UFAs see Loui/Backes/Lucic etc etc.

I like their team. Might be getting Carl and Phil a year or two too late but they are trying to not be too young.

Keller is a young kid who put up 112 points in 2 years before being old enough to drink. I'd love to have a center like him in the system. He makes the same as Krejci its a reasonable deal.
We got the Weekender package, because, well, you gotta have hockey. There's a lot of excitement about the team as the season is getting ready to kick off. I think if they stay healthy, and if the goaltending holds up, with the additions they made, they are a good bet to make the playoffs. I think like @weaponomega does - they feel like Keller is going to break out, and signing him now is a hedge against having to pay him a lot more after he does. That sure seems to be the way the league is trending now - paying high-performing and high-potential RFAs for the years ahead of them rather than paying them more because of what they did in the years leading up to UFA status, as had been the case for so long.

And since this is ostensibly a McAvoy thread, I think this is exactly what the Bruins are going to do with McAvoy. Pay him a good contract now, when in the next few years, it will turn into a great value signing.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We got the Weekender package, because, well, you gotta have hockey. There's a lot of excitement about the team as the season is getting ready to kick off. I think if they stay healthy, and if the goaltending holds up, with the additions they made, they are a good bet to make the playoffs. I think like @weaponomega does - they feel like Keller is going to break out, and signing him now is a hedge against having to pay him a lot more after he does. That sure seems to be the way the league is trending now - paying high-performing and high-potential RFAs for the years ahead of them rather than paying them more because of what they did in the years leading up to UFA status, as had been the case for so long.

And since this is ostensibly a McAvoy thread, I think this is exactly what the Bruins are going to do with McAvoy. Pay him a good contract now, when in the next few years, it will turn into a great value signing.

I don't think Arizona has the horses to become a power or a dynasty but that kind of high end talent hasn't helped Edmonton or Toronto much. Think the top 2 Western teams are Vegas and SJ and they have both lost some of their balance.

I sure hope so re McAvoy. Again I love the intangibles of McAvoy vs Trouba hes the best direct comp having just signed and I think 2x the player anything under what he makes is fine with me.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
NHL Suomi

Bostonin tähtipuolustajan sopimustilanne ratkeamassa? Lähde: Osapuolet päätymässä kompromissiratkaisuun
MARKUS NUUTINEN SYYSKUU 4, 2019

Boston Bruinsin tähtipuolustaja Charlie McAvoy on samassa tilanteessa lukuisten muiden nuorten NHL-tähtien kanssa, miehen jatkosopimus antaa nimittäin edelleen odottaa itseään harjoitusleirien kolkutellessa jo oven takana.

Bruinsin sisäpiiritoimittaja Jimmy Murphy kertoo seuran sisältä tulleen lähteen vahvistaneen osapuolten neuvottelevan tällä hetkellä kuumeisesti sopimuksesta taatakseen McAvoyn liittymisen joukkueeseen jo harjoituskauden alkaessa.

Toimittaja kertoo Bruinsin olevan valmis tarjoamaan viime kaudella 54 peliä tehoin 7+21=28 pelanneelle 21-vuotiaalle tähdelleen noin 5,5 miljoonan dollarin vuosipalkkaa, onhan seuralla kiinnitettävänään toinenkin rajoitettu vapaa puolustaja Brandon Carlo.

McAvoyn leiri hakee puolestaan Florida Panthersin Aaron Ekbladin sopimuksen kanssa yhteneväistä, 8-vuotista ja noin 60 miljoonan dollarin arvoista jatkopahvia, mikä takaisi McAvoylle jatkossa 7,5 miljoonan taalan kausitienestit.

Tällä hetkellä työn alla on sisäpiirilähteen mukaan kuitenkin lyhyempi siltasopimus, joka jättäisi samalla Bruinsille tilaa Carlon palkkaamiseen. Seuralla on tällä hetkellä palkkakatossaan vain seitsemän miljoonaa dollaria pelivaraa, joskin David Backesin sopimuksen siirtäminen pitkäaikaisloukkaantuneiden listalle vapauttaa palkkakattoon kuusi miljoonaa taalaa lisätilaa.

Translation:

NHL Finland

Boston star defender under contract? Source: Parties reaching compromise
MARKUS NUUTINEN SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

Boston Bruins star quarterback Charlie McAvoy is in the same situation with a number of other young NHL stars, as his man's contract continues to wait for him to knock on training camps.

Bruins insider rep Jimmy Murphy says a source inside the club has confirmed that the parties are currently feverishly negotiating a deal to ensure McAvoy joins the team early in the training season.

The reporter says Bruins is ready to offer last year's $ 5.5 million annual salary for the 21-year-old star of 7 + 21 = 28, after all, with Brandon Carlo, another limited free defender.

McAvoy's camp, in turn, is seeking an 8-year and about $ 60 million renewal card for the Florida Panthers' Aaron Ekblad deal, which would guarantee McAvoy $ 7.5 million in seasonal earnings in the future.

However, according to an insider source, a shorter bridge agreement is currently underway, which would leave Bruins room to hire Carlo. The club currently has only $ 7 million in reserves on its payroll, although moving David Backes' contract to the long-term injured list frees up $ 6 million in additional salary.
this makes sense- I'd probably do either deal the 8 year or the shorter 3 at $5,5, which I like better

I'm good with Carlo 3.75 and McAvoy $5.25 for $9 M fixed costs on these two over next 3 years

Rask/Backes/Krejci over 20 M drop off in 2 summers

they get a nice little break $3.1 from Beleseky and Seids after this season- Chara? Miller....maybe Halak

bump Krug to 6.75 from 5.25 and if Coyle plays like I think from $3.2 to 5-6.4....get Debrusk as Glorydaze mentions on a bridge till you get the big contracts off

you put Moore on LTIR and see where Miller is for now

works

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don't think Arizona has the horses to become a power or a dynasty but that kind of high end talent hasn't helped Edmonton or Toronto much. Think the top 2 Western teams are Vegas and SJ and they have both lost some of their balance.

I sure hope so re McAvoy. Again I love the intangibles of McAvoy vs Trouba hes the best direct comp having just signed and I think 2x the player anything under what he makes is fine with me.
I don't think anyone thinks the Coyotes will be a dynasty, or even a "power". I just think they are young enough and added enough talent to mmake the playoffs this year, which will be a step forward for them.

You're right, McAvoy's every bit as good as Trouba, and has more upside - which I FULLY expect him to attain.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't think anyone thinks the Coyotes will be a dynasty, or even a "power". I just think they are young enough and added enough talent to mmake the playoffs this year, which will be a step forward for them.

You're right, McAvoy's every bit as good as Trouba, and has more upside - which I FULLY expect him to attain.

Well, now that you are a homer, you would say that :laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
this makes sense- I'd probably do either deal the 8 year or the shorter 3 at $5,5, which I like better

I'm good with Carlo 3.75 and McAvoy $5.25 for $9 M fixed costs on these two over next 3 years

Rask/Backes/Krejci over 20 M drop off in 2 summers

they get a nice little break $3.1 from Beleseky and Seids after this season- Chara? Miller....maybe Halak

bump Krug to 6.75 from 5.25 and if Coyle plays like I think from $3.2 to 5-6.4....get Debrusk as Glorydaze mentions on a bridge till you get the big contracts off

you put Moore on LTIR and see where Miller is for now

works

Not bad thinking here, but Rask at this point I think stays unless one of the yutes completely amazes every one. It can work well, but I have to think that this is predicated on no signing an expensive FA or trading for one for that top 6 wing job. One of the young guys has to nail that down. And there is Gryz who needs new deal also and he deserves a decent raise.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom isn't dropping a bomb on Twitter. Just playing a "what do you think" game.

I did this back in 2017 with Pastrnak and there was a "lot of hate" when I tweeted it. But then it turned out Pasta signed for almost exactly that (the signing bonuses were off)

So, now I'm doing the same with McAvoy. What say you?

Some confusion on Twitter though. Although McAvoy will have had 7 seasons by then, thus making him a UFA, year one does NOT count as he was not on the active roster for 40 games. So he would still be RFA after the above "proposal"

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I get that paid hockey experts need to justify getting paid... but alot of this crap goes into the 'for entertainment bin only' box

Someone says bruins were kicking tires on offer sheeting jacob trouba? Bruins under the jacobs regeim have NEVER done an offer sheet

But watching behind the b's we all saw proof there are many voices involved in discusions

Have the bruins discussed signing matt duchesne as an ufa? Or trading for mark stone? Or drafting kid B instead of A?

Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of insider gossip and i appreciate the guys who have the best connections

I appreciate guys who work hard professionally to grow their list of connections

Ultimately, at the end of the day... true credibility is earned when more of your stuff provides entertainment instead of boredom of irritation

I dont like trade deadline day when tsn and sportsnet are patting themselves on the back for having some information 1 min and 17 seconds before the other guys have it... and it dont impress me much here either.

To Dom... i liked your idea for mcavoy. Weve all seen you wired in on other situations like this... so crossing my fingers now you will be close to accurate on this one too. 6.25 fits the teams internal pay hiarchy. 4 years for mcavoy now makes him easier to resign to an 8 year deal when he reups

Paying guys after 33 is risky but our ducks will line up nicely for 12 years if this goes down

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Dom isn't dropping a bomb on Twitter. Just playing a "what do you think" game.

I did this back in 2017 with Pastrnak and there was a "lot of hate" when I tweeted it. But then it turned out Pasta signed for almost exactly that (the signing bonuses were off)

So, now I'm doing the same with McAvoy. What say you?

Some confusion on Twitter though. Although McAvoy will have had 7 seasons by then, thus making him a UFA, year one does NOT count as he was not on the active roster for 40 games. So he would still be RFA after the above "proposal"

Another popular idea that seems it will be a trend is having the last year, while still ending as an RFA, end in a higher number to ensure that the QO for retention would also be high.

I like the deal and would hap-hap-happily sign that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Another popular idea that seems it will be a trend is having the last year, while still ending as an RFA, end in a higher number to ensure that the QO for retention would also be high.

I like the deal and would hap-hap-happily sign that.
Actually Travis, the QO under my scenario is just 3.5 million.

Give and take. Mac gets lockout protection though likely won't need it, B's get protection should he stumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad