Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
He may well be, it's debatable, but if he was on a team with any of them he'd be 2nd pairing when he started and would likely not even have sniffed 1st line pairing outside of injury to said players.
The main board, that is full of hating leaf and Habs fans according to you, are about to vote Mcavoy as the 23rd best dman in the league.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The main board, that is full of hating leaf and Habs fans according to you, are about to vote Mcavoy as the 23rd best dman in the league.

That sounds about right to me. Maybe a little higher . Now go look what the 23rd highest Dman makes. It's a lot less than 8M.
The 23rd Highest paid Dman in the league is Dumba 6M AAV.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That sounds about right to me. Maybe a little higher . Now go look what the 23rd highest Dman makes. It's a lot less than 8M.
The 23rd Highest paid Dman in the league is Dumba 6M AAV.

It us a different world now with RFA no longer meaning much aside from retention of player rights. That needs to be a focus next lockout.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It us a different world now with RFA no longer meaning much aside from retention of player rights. That needs to be a focus next lockout.
Most importantly they should facilitate the buyout of death contracts a la Backes. We need to save the GM's from their own stupidity and from agents greed.
Yes... it's the market... set up by stupidity and greed.

Reactions: JOKER 192

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Mac deserves a 3 yr 16.5 per no more, no less. Problem is the landscape has changed for the worse with the last round of RFA deals. These guys are all going to want good money up until their ufa year so they can dictate even more. It’s smart business for the players for sure.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Mac deserves a 3 yr 16.5 per no more, no less. Problem is the landscape has changed for the worse with the last round of RFA deals. These guys are all going to want good money up until their ufa year so they can dictate even more. It’s smart business for the players for sure.

I think the Bruins will use their leverage and he comes in at decent # bt 5-5.5AAV . I think the Bruins want to see more production before a huge contract is given.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I think the Bruins will use their leverage and he comes in at decent # bt 5-5.5AAV . I think the Bruins want to see more production before a huge contract is given.
It doesn't really matter what the reason is.
Those are the cost control contracts years teams have to balance the cap. Take that away and it's a totally different strategy cap management wise.

Reactions: DKH and JOKER 192

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Regarding the bold, if Jones was good enough to play 22 minutes against top competition during his Nashville years there would never be a 6-7 minute discrepancy between him and the top two of Webber and Josi, I don’t care how good they are. No NHL coach would burden their top pair so much with a guy who could run a top pair on contender as a #3. A guy that good could easily Cary a second pairing for 20+ minutes.

Both of Mcavoy and Jones were not the main special teams options for their teams but one was able to handle a huge amount of time at ES and get better results at it.

As for the rest. OEL is a LHD and Mcavoy is currently as good or better than Paryako, Ekblad, or Subban.

So what your saying is by the age of 21 he could have been a top pairing guy on 22 of 31 of the teams in the league.
He could have been top pairing on the Tampa Bay Lighting or the Edmonton Oilers. Interesting argument.
I think I'm actually higher on Parayko than most people. Not an offensive juggernaut by any means, but I think he may be the best shutdown defenceman in the league.

Reactions: DKH and JOKER 192

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If it eats even a single UFA year, Charlie under 8 is a steal.

wheres the evidence that ufa are paid MORE than rfa in the last few years?

5 of the top 25 paid players in the nhl are 23 and younger

looking at cap friendly there are currently 24 guys under age 27 that are making 6 million or more... some of them have deals that eat an ufa year or two... some dont. One thing we know is that they all signed their deals when the cap was lower.

should Charlie McAvoy view himself as less than one of the top 24 young players in hockey?

matt dumba is getting 6 mill and esa Lindell is getting 5.8... in what universe do we think McAvoy should be accepting less than these guys?

at age 25 Jacob trouba is getting 8 mill
drew doughty was 22 when he got his 7 mill a year {cap was way lower}
erik Karlson at 22 got 6.5 mill {cap was way lower}
and pk subban got his 9 mill at age 25

Charlie McAvoy is 21 and some people are suggesting he should take less than 6 mill for the next 6 years... lets look at what that would mean.

Jacob is getting 16 mill compared to McAvoy 12 mill in those last 2 years
doughty is getting 35 mill compared to McAvoy 30 mill the last 5 years
karlsson is getting 32.5 mill compared to McAvoy 30 mill
and subban is getting 18 mill compared to McAvoy 12 in the 2 years

so a 6x6 deal is going to cost McAvoy money and we havent even taken into account that the experts keep predicting the cap is going to skyrocket over the next 6 years.

mcavoys comparables today are already making 5 mill... thats the bottom for him.

I guess the question comes down to is McAvoy only an average top pair guy and 5 mill is the right number? or is he elite like doughty/karlsson? to be honest I feel safe saying hes as good as trouba or subban but were those 'fair' contracts or dramatic overpayments?

ekblands contract is clearly an overpayment and I think we cant use it as a comparable since he was paid based on being the 1st overall franchise draft pick.

I guess when we crunch the numbers a bridge deal at around 5.5 is looking to make the most sense. it pays him fairly compared to what the league is paying these types of players now... but it doesnt short change him based on what he will deserve if the cap goes up and he becomes a legit Norris trophy challanger over the prime of his career.

I imagine if provolov and werenski werent up for new contracts too, that this would be a done deal. the possibility exists their contracts will totally change the market.

if I was the agent though I wouldnt be doing a 6 year deal less than 6 minimum at this point

Reactions: KrejciMVP

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I feel safe saying hes as good as trouba or subban but were those 'fair' contracts or dramatic overpayments?

Main difference is that both Trouba and Subban took bridge deals before those contracts were signed.

Subban had a bridge deal before his big payday at 2.875M for two years which was the huge mistake Habs management made and paid for it later. 9M was without a doubt overpayment for Subban. Subban is the 3rd highest paid Dman in the league , he's not the 3rd best Dmen in the league by a long shot. Subban was rumored to be willing to sign a 6x6 deal but the Habs GM Bergevin insisted on a bridge and then had to overpay. It was Habs owner Jeff Molson who eventually OK'd the deal as Bergevin didn't want to give Subban that much.

Trouba also signed a 2 year bridge deal with a 3m AVV. Giving Trouba 8M seems like overpay to me but not by much.

Teams use the bridge deals because they have the leverage, but it's pay me now or pay me later. In some cases were the sample size is to small it makes sense, in others it's best to pay up. Often, as is the case here in Boston it comes down to a question of cap space.Though evaluating what Charlie should make is a little foggy given the small sample size and the injuries.

Reactions: Spooner st

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Trouba also signed a 2 year bridge deal with a 3m AVV. Giving Trouba 8M seems like overpay to me but not by much.

Guys garbage he absolutely sucked that playoff run the Jets had to the WCFs when they choked vs Vegas. Never performed like their best D man was always sheltered and the 3rd/4th. Hes not a bust but hes nowhere near worthy of the hype. I'd rather give an overpayment (short term for now because 8 will be a steal soon) to a guy with some positive intangibles like McAvoy than a fraud like Trouba.

Now if your the Rangers and are paying Shatty 6.25 then you can justify 8 for Trouba. Good thing McAvoy wasn't eligible for an offer sheet this summer.

member 96824

wheres the evidence that ufa are paid MORE than rfa in the last few years?

I’d bet my house that if you looked at dollars per point, UFAs come in higher than RFAs consistently every year.

Not going to spend the time and do the math cause, well, in the history of HF I’ve never seen anyone change their mind :laugh:

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
McAvoy BU buddy Clayton Keller appears to be ready to ink a 8 year deal for $7.15 per

I’d go there with Charlie- maybe even up to close to 8

But it’s either short or long term none of this Mathews/Marner ‘have my cake & eat it too’ crap

Reactions: wintersej

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
McAvoy BU buddy Clayton Keller appears to be ready to ink a 8 year deal for $7.15 per

I’d go there with Charlie- maybe even up to close to 8

But it’s either short or long term none of this Mathews/Marner ‘have my cake & eat it too’ crap

I'd think Charlie has higher overall value than Keller.

So yeah, I'd definitely go for 7.15 per.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
And there's this

NHL Suomi

Bostonin tähtipuolustajan sopimustilanne ratkeamassa? Lähde: Osapuolet päätymässä kompromissiratkaisuun
MARKUS NUUTINEN SYYSKUU 4, 2019

Boston Bruinsin tähtipuolustaja Charlie McAvoy on samassa tilanteessa lukuisten muiden nuorten NHL-tähtien kanssa, miehen jatkosopimus antaa nimittäin edelleen odottaa itseään harjoitusleirien kolkutellessa jo oven takana.

Bruinsin sisäpiiritoimittaja Jimmy Murphy kertoo seuran sisältä tulleen lähteen vahvistaneen osapuolten neuvottelevan tällä hetkellä kuumeisesti sopimuksesta taatakseen McAvoyn liittymisen joukkueeseen jo harjoituskauden alkaessa.

Toimittaja kertoo Bruinsin olevan valmis tarjoamaan viime kaudella 54 peliä tehoin 7+21=28 pelanneelle 21-vuotiaalle tähdelleen noin 5,5 miljoonan dollarin vuosipalkkaa, onhan seuralla kiinnitettävänään toinenkin rajoitettu vapaa puolustaja Brandon Carlo.

McAvoyn leiri hakee puolestaan Florida Panthersin Aaron Ekbladin sopimuksen kanssa yhteneväistä, 8-vuotista ja noin 60 miljoonan dollarin arvoista jatkopahvia, mikä takaisi McAvoylle jatkossa 7,5 miljoonan taalan kausitienestit.

Tällä hetkellä työn alla on sisäpiirilähteen mukaan kuitenkin lyhyempi siltasopimus, joka jättäisi samalla Bruinsille tilaa Carlon palkkaamiseen. Seuralla on tällä hetkellä palkkakatossaan vain seitsemän miljoonaa dollaria pelivaraa, joskin David Backesin sopimuksen siirtäminen pitkäaikaisloukkaantuneiden listalle vapauttaa palkkakattoon kuusi miljoonaa taalaa lisätilaa.

Translation:

NHL Finland

Boston star defender under contract? Source: Parties reaching compromise
MARKUS NUUTINEN SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

Boston Bruins star quarterback Charlie McAvoy is in the same situation with a number of other young NHL stars, as his man's contract continues to wait for him to knock on training camps.

Bruins insider rep Jimmy Murphy says a source inside the club has confirmed that the parties are currently feverishly negotiating a deal to ensure McAvoy joins the team early in the training season.

The reporter says Bruins is ready to offer last year's $ 5.5 million annual salary for the 21-year-old star of 7 + 21 = 28, after all, with Brandon Carlo, another limited free defender.

McAvoy's camp, in turn, is seeking an 8-year and about $ 60 million renewal card for the Florida Panthers' Aaron Ekblad deal, which would guarantee McAvoy $ 7.5 million in seasonal earnings in the future.

However, according to an insider source, a shorter bridge agreement is currently underway, which would leave Bruins room to hire Carlo. The club currently has only $ 7 million in reserves on its payroll, although moving David Backes' contract to the long-term injured list frees up $ 6 million in additional salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad