Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
How can you not love this kid?

Bruins notebook: Special homecoming for Charlie McAvoy – Boston Herald

“I was looking forward to this one, much more so than Brooklyn last year,” McAvoy said after the morning skate. “I grew up 20 minutes away in Long Beach and spent 16 years of my life here, so this place is home for me, and it’s going to be awesome to have my family there and all the support from Long Beach.”

The B’s blooming young defenseman visited his parents Monday night, and they hit some of his old haunts, feasting on chicken parmesan at Gino’s and walking along the boardwalk, breathing in the beach air. He also surprised his little sister up from lacrosse practice at Long Beach High. The day put him in a thoughtful mood.

“It’s just crazy,” said, who picked up an assist on the B’s first goal against the Islanders. “I was thinking about it a lot, just reflecting, going back to my town. There were so many kids who play hockey and so many many people who love the game. It is a great hockey town. But why me? Why am I more fortunate than other people? Why am I able to live this dream? I’m truly blessed. I’m just so thankful for this opportunity.”

Asked if he’d come up with any answers, he said environment was a big factor.

“I don’t know. I worked really hard. I’ve got great guidance, great parents and family in my life who taught me how to behave in a certain manner and if I really wanted something, I had to work really hard for it,” McAvoy said. “Just blue collar. Nothing was ever going to be handed to me. Maybe that allowed me to work harder than other individuals. But I don’t know.

“My dad’s going to be here tonight in front of people he grew up with, people who he’s close with now. And his son is going to be out there in the NHL, playing for the Boston Bruins.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For Charlie McAvoy, Bruins’ trip offered a return to his treasured island - The Boston Globe

Now an emerging star on the Bruins blue line, McAvoy, 21, had some two dozen Long Beach locals, family and friends included, in the Nassau Coliseum stands Tuesday night when the Bruins put a 5-0 smacking on the Islanders. A good number of them figure to make the trip across the Hudson River on Thursday night when McAvoy and his Black-and-Gold brethren face the Devils at the Prudential Center in Newark.

The visit to Uniondale, where the Islanders opened for business in 1972, had McAvoy contemplating his express track to the NHL. In only his second regular season, he sounded almost in disbelief when he considered that, as a kid, he was a frequent visitor to Nassau Coliseum.

“It’s just crazy,” said McAvoy. “I’ve been thinking about it a lot here, just reflecting a little bit. It’s kind of one of those things where I go back to my town and there are so many kids that play hockey — so many people love the game, it really is a good hockey town — but why me?

“Why am I more fortunate than other people to make it and to be able to live this dream? I am truly blessed and just so thankful for the opportunity.”

So, why him?

“I don’t know,” he said, chuckling slightly and shaking his head. “I just worked really hard. I have great guidance. My parents, my family, just great people in my life who taught me how to behave in a certain manner.

“If I really wanted something, I had to work really hard for it. You know, blue collar, and nothing’s ever going to be handed to me. So maybe that allowed me to work harder than other individuals.”

Coming from here, a place so big, where buildings pierce the sky and reach for the moon and stars, McAvoy really isn’t sure why it all fell right him.

“I don’t know,” he mused, “but at the end of the day, I just thank God I made it.”

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Charlie has lightning quick speed to catch the forward if he's ahead of him much like what ryan mcdounagh does and can put 40 plus points with ease . That's why I say he's a clone of him.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Charlie has lightning quick speed to catch the forward if he's ahead of him much like what ryan mcdounagh does and can put 40 plus points with ease . That's why I say he's a clone of him.

He has the tools of Drew Doughty IMO. Does he ever get to Doughty's level? Maybe not. Be has has that phenomenal all around game not many other Dman have.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Are you capable of talking about McAvoy without mentioning McD? :)

As a puck mover and in center ice McAvoy is already vastly superior to McD. Corsi isn't be all end all, but I do think its a nice measurement of puck moving for a d-man.

McD has never in his career had a Coris better than McAvoy's first two seasons. Never. Even playing for a super team in Tampa and contenders in NY.

From a points perspective, McD has only once scored at a better PPG rate than McAvoy first two seasons (this season on a super team).

McAvoy is already on a whole nother level than McD. I don't think its a good comparison of style or quality.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For Charlie McAvoy, Bruins’ trip offered a return to his treasured island - The Boston Globe

Now an emerging star on the Bruins blue line, McAvoy, 21, had some two dozen Long Beach locals, family and friends included, in the Nassau Coliseum stands Tuesday night when the Bruins put a 5-0 smacking on the Islanders. A good number of them figure to make the trip across the Hudson River on Thursday night when McAvoy and his Black-and-Gold brethren face the Devils at the Prudential Center in Newark.

The visit to Uniondale, where the Islanders opened for business in 1972, had McAvoy contemplating his express track to the NHL. In only his second regular season, he sounded almost in disbelief when he considered that, as a kid, he was a frequent visitor to Nassau Coliseum.

“It’s just crazy,” said McAvoy. “I’ve been thinking about it a lot here, just reflecting a little bit. It’s kind of one of those things where I go back to my town and there are so many kids that play hockey — so many people love the game, it really is a good hockey town — but why me?

“Why am I more fortunate than other people to make it and to be able to live this dream? I am truly blessed and just so thankful for the opportunity.”

So, why him?

“I don’t know,” he said, chuckling slightly and shaking his head. “I just worked really hard. I have great guidance. My parents, my family, just great people in my life who taught me how to behave in a certain manner.

“If I really wanted something, I had to work really hard for it. You know, blue collar, and nothing’s ever going to be handed to me. So maybe that allowed me to work harder than other individuals.”

Coming from here, a place so big, where buildings pierce the sky and reach for the moon and stars, McAvoy really isn’t sure why it all fell right him.

“I don’t know,” he mused, “but at the end of the day, I just thank God I made it.”

Humble, gratitude, nice qualities to have

Reactions: easton117

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Why do I feel like your reasoning for saying he's a "clone" of him has more to do with the fact that they both have "Mc" to start off their last name? lmfao..... Charlie is Charlie. He appears to have much more offensive upside than McDonagh.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
McAvoy and DeBrusk are two kids on this team you can't help but love.

We've been really lucky to have Pasta, DeBrusk and McAvoy succeed so early as the poster boys for our next generation. It will be very, very tough to even come close to the core of Z/Bergy/Krejci/Chara/etc. that we've had for the past decade but we're on the right track. They've been patient when they had to be, have excelled on the biggest stages, and have worked harder than anyone. Bit of a bonus is that they're all insanely talented. ;)

It's awesome that our veterans are still having career years and sharing the responsibility with the young guys. That experience will help them so much in their careers. Just having Z and Bergy as two of your mentors is something that no other team can offer, I think. They've taken advantage of every opportunity presented to them and all of them have earned their success.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Are you capable of talking about McAvoy without mentioning McD? :)

As a puck mover and in center ice McAvoy is already vastly superior to McD. Corsi isn't be all end all, but I do think its a nice measurement of puck moving for a d-man.

McD has never in his career had a Coris better than McAvoy's first two seasons. Never. Even playing for a super team in Tampa and contenders in NY.

From a points perspective, McD has only once scored at a better PPG rate than McAvoy first two seasons (this season on a super team).

McAvoy is already on a whole nother level than McD. I don't think its a good comparison of style or quality.
I honestly never saw any comparison to McD, maybe because one was a Ranger and one likes the Rangers? Lol no clue

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
Not sure if anyone can find a clip/gif but at one point of the NYI game he recovered a puck is his own end, and under pressure laid a backhand sauce pass over everyone's head and onto a teammates stick in the neutral zone to create a 3 on 2 the other way. The awareness and skill was crazy.....anyone know the play I'm talking about?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not sure if anyone can find a clip/gif but at one point of the NYI game he recovered a puck is his own end, and under pressure laid a backhand sauce pass over everyone's head and onto a teammates stick in the neutral zone to create a 3 on 2 the other way. The awareness and skill was crazy.....anyone know the play I'm talking about?

YES! and he made it look so easy and casual. I think we really underestimate how good he is around here...which is so rare for home town fans to do.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
"McAvoy was on ice for all three goals against in the third period implosion and certainly needed to be better for the Black and Gold."

Would love to see Charlie tighten up his game, especially when it comes to games like last night/3rd period

Team still needs him to take chances to create offense but last night in the 3rd, he should have set himself to zero risk mode

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's been great lately but yeah, two of those goals were primarily on him (not all his fault, but he got burned twice).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
"McAvoy was on ice for all three goals against in the third period implosion and certainly needed to be better for the Black and Gold."

Would love to see Charlie tighten up his game, especially when it comes to games like last night/3rd period

Team still needs him to take chances to create offense but last night in the 3rd, he should have set himself to zero risk mode
indeed, all part of the learning curve, the kid so badly wants to be a difference maker, hard to alter that approach but as he gains valuable experience from the hiccups, he`ll round things out

Tough 3rd for him last night but still loving this kid`s game overall, way too easy for me to forget he`s played just over 100 NHL games and is barely legal to drink

Reactions: rocketdan9

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The Bruins should bring footage of last nights game when negotiating McAvoys contract. He'd have to sign for league minimum. :laugh:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
To me it seems like when he makes one mistake once he implodes. We saw it last night, we saw it against Carolina a month or so ago when he had that awful game

To be expected with a young player I guess and doesn't concern me long term really. Someone just needs to calm him down or something before the wheels fall off

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
To me it seems like when he makes one mistake once he implodes. We saw it last night, we saw it against Carolina a month or so ago when he had that awful game

To be expected with a young player I guess and doesn't concern me long term really. Someone just needs to calm him down or something before the wheels fall off
He's shown flashes of brilliance this season.

Even last night early on. And then, like you said, one mistake leads to the next... and the next...

Him and Carlo still have some growing to do but that's not taking away anything from the players they currently are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad