Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Kids playing 1st pairing minutes, even if his offensive output stays the same he'll give you 40 points over an 82 games season (assuming he plays all 82 games). Two guys that just signed deals this season as comps would be Trouba and Dumba.

Dumba ($6 million) last year exploded for 50pts, but in the two prior years had 34/26
Trouba ($5.5 million) has struggled to stay healthy, but still can give you 20/30 points a season consistently

So factoring in that the cap will continue to rise, I don't see how $6 to $7 million for 8 years needs have the brakes put on. That's around the going rate for young RHD that log big minutes and can produce offensively.
These guys have been playing longer than one season. One season.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
These guys have been playing longer than one season. One season.

And McAvoy is playing at a similar level...scary to think about. A lot will be decided with how he plays this season (as I said before), but $6 to $7 million isn't crazy when you compare what he did last year to other guys that just signed deals as RFA's. If he turns out to be the player many think he'll be, would you rather pay him $6 to $7 million now for 8 years or would you rather pay him $4 million for 2-3 years, have him become exactly what people thought and suddenly you're looking at paying him even more. Here's a list of guy next year who will make between $6 & $7 million

Brent Seabrook
Mark Giordano
Kevin Shattenkirk
Cam Fowler
Alex Pietrangelo
Keith Yadle
Dion Phaneuf
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Johnny Boychuk
Erik Johnson
Matthew Dumba

I left Karlsson and Doughty out because Doughty is going to $11 million after next year and Karlsson is going to be the same if not more. Is there anyone on this list that you'd rather have over McAvoy?

Last edited:
Reactions: TwineTickler

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
And McAvoy is playing at a similar level...scary to think about. A lot will be decided with how he plays this season (as I said before), but $6 to $7 million isn't crazy when you compare what he did last year to other guys that just signed deals as RFA's. If he turns out to be the player many think he'll be, would you rather pay him $6 to $7 million now for 8 years or would you rather pay him $4 million for 2-3 years, have him become exactly what people though and suddenly you're looking at paying him even more. Here's a list of guy next year who will make between $6 & $7 million

Brent Seabrook
Mark Giordano
Kevin Shattenkirk
Cam Fowler
Alex Pietrangelo
Keith Yadle
Dion Phaneuf
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Johnny Boychuk
Erik Johnson
Matthew Dumba

I left Karlsson and Doughty out because Doughty is going to $11 million after next year and Karlsson is going to be the same if not more. Is there anyone on this list that you'd rather have over McAvoy?

Excellent post. I'd love Gio, Fowler, Pietrangelo, Dumba..... but factoring in the age and the potential ceiling, honestly no I wouldn't take any of those guys over Mac. As you said it depends how this year goes. If he continues the upward trajectory towards #1 D you absolutely lock him for 8 years at Pastrnak money. I feel like there has been a precedent set by Marchand taking less, Pasta taking less etc to expect that even with a rising cap the AAV won't be astronomical. The kid is a stud.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Rangers, D Skjei agree to 6-year, $31.5M deal

He’s getting 7.5 M if he has a big year

Heinen
DeBrusk
Carlo
McAvoy
Donato
Bjork

These 6 AAV going to be fascinating to watch if there is progression

Pastrnak and Marchand would have been looking at $8-9 M
I just saw this. I like Skjei a lot, but, wow.

He really did not do much better than Moore last year and got double the money. They must expect him to have a breakout season but he hasn't shown that yet at age 24 vs Moore's age 27.

I don't expect to see McAvoy's contract higher than Pastrnak. I know #1 D are more valuable than #1 W, but I think he wants to be on a winning team (based on his tournament/post season play and comments) and won't try to break the bank. I suppose, maybe with 2 years of inflation, it might top out at $7m next year but I'm not sure.

DeBrusk and Bjork each have 2 years left on ELC so not taking up extra cash after this year.
You have to think this is Chara's last year so his $6m will basically be added to McAvoy's current price. Carlo's contract will probably be taking McQuaid's $$ and adding it to his current contract.
Heinen and Donato are tough to project. Heinen came close to 50 points so he should get that easy this year. Donato has 30 goal, 60 point potential. They could both be looking for $5-6m which would force the trades of Backes and maybe even Krejci whose contracts both switch to 15 team MNTC next year. Before they can trade Krejci, the Bruins really need one or more of their center prospects to come up and perform really well in the NHL this year.

This is, potentially, a huge year for these Bruins young prospect to show they are stars that can take over the team and the brightest star needs to be McAvoy. Hopefully, he can deliver.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

He really did not do much better than Moore last year and got double the money. They must expect him to have a breakout season but he hasn't shown that yet at age 24 vs Moore's age 27.

I don't expect to see McAvoy's contract higher than Pastrnak. I know #1 D are more valuable than #1 W, but I think he wants to be on a winning team (based on his tournament/post season play and comments) and won't try to break the bank. I suppose, maybe with 2 years of inflation, it might top out at $7m next year but I'm not sure.

DeBrusk and Bjork each have 2 years left on ELC so not taking up extra cash after this year.
You have to think this is Chara's last year so his $6m will basically be added to McAvoy's current price. Carlo's contract will probably be taking McQuaid's $$ and adding it to his current contract.
Heinen and Donato are tough to project. Heinen came close to 50 points so he should get that easy this year. Donato has 30 goal, 60 point potential. They could both be looking for $5-6m which would force the trades of Backes and maybe even Krejci whose contracts both switch to 15 team MNTC next year. Before they can trade Krejci, the Bruins really need one or more of their center prospects to come up and perform really well in the NHL this year.

This is, potentially, a huge year for these Bruins young prospect to show they are stars that can take over the team and the brightest star needs to be McAvoy. Hopefully, he can deliver.

Outside of McAvoy, I don`t expect the young players to prove they are "stars", with McAvoy, IMO, it`s all about staying on the ice. My hope is those young players show that, moving forward, they will continue to prove they are all developing into capable and trustworthy players. I get the impression that all of the kids who played last year seem to be teachable which is huge.

The benefit of having a strong drafting history is that those kids who aren`t producing (and some vets too), will hear a loud knock on the door with a kid on the other side pushing them for their spot

Reactions: 00BW

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
McAvoy's camp will probably use Ekblad as a comparable and that's fair. Unless he has terrible 2nd year, it's probably smart to lock him up long term. He's going to take a big chunk of the cap sooner or later anyway. No sense in getting into another Subban situation where he won the Norris during his bridge deal and Montreal was forced to give him a mammoth deal.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

agree with this, probably a little bit under Pastrnak after seeing those negotiations last year. Probably the best thing I've seen from Sweeney's time here is the Pasta and Marchand contracts not coming in too high.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Outside of McAvoy, I don`t expect the young players to prove they are "stars", with McAvoy, IMO, it`s all about staying on the ice. My hope is those young players show that, moving forward, they will continue to prove they are all developing into capable and trustworthy players. I get the impression that all of the kids who played last year seem to be teachable which is huge.

The benefit of having a strong drafting history is that those kids who aren`t producing (and some vets too), will hear a loud knock on the door with a kid on the other side pushing them for their spot
Maybe not 'star' but they absolutely need one of their centers to establish themselves. It will be very risky to trade Krejci in a year if not, and much easier if the prospect can get 45-55 points this year. Ideally, they will have one break in this year and another break in next year like they did the last 2 years with Carlo and then McAvoy breaking in on RD.

There is only 1 year left for Chara but they have a 4 year window with Bergeron. That's the main cup window until we see what the centers can do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe not 'star' but they absolutely need one of their centers to establish themselves. It will be very risky to trade Krejci in a year if not, and much easier if the prospect can get 45-55 points this year. Ideally, they will have one break in this year and another break in next year like they did the last 2 years with Carlo and then McAvoy breaking in on RD.

There is only 1 year left for Chara but they have a 4 year window with Bergeron. That's the main cup window until we see what the centers can do.

You can tell that Sweeney and Co have not neglected the fact that they will, in time, need to be ready up the middle. You look at whom they drafted and they have not at all ignored the C position. I`d love to see one of JFK, Studnicka or Frederic assert themselves at camp and grab a spot. Not quite sure any are quite ready yet as I just don`t have the ability to watch them.

I don`t have issues with the B`s moving DK, but the return has to be something that doesn`t weaken the lineup. For as often as I`m left uninspired with his overall play, DK is quietly a very good 3 zone player, I know that isn`t sexy here but it`s vital once the game begins

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
If you have a love in your life, it isn’t real until they look at you the way Bill looks at Charlie

That's as close as you'll get Bill to smiling without bringing up Lawrence Taylor, but if you cover his mouth or just focus on his eyes, you could easily be convinced McAvoy just insulted his mother or mentioned Malcolm Butler as his primary source of inspiration.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Bruins Visit Patriots Training Camp

The picture accompanying the article shows just how big Gronk is.

It may be perspective angles, but McAvoy looks a lot bigger than last year.

A lot of summer articles have been praising Donato's workouts, and dude looks jacked here.

For the amount of hits he gives out, Wagner looks like a pretty small dude.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Boy is Charlie built like Ray Bourque or what? Thick in the shoulders, chest, butt, and legs. He's almost as wide as Gronk is, and Gronk is wearing pads.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Kids playing 1st pairing minutes, even if his offensive output stays the same he'll give you 40 points over an 82 games season (assuming he plays all 82 games). Two guys that just signed deals this season as comps would be Trouba and Dumba.

Dumba ($6 million) last year exploded for 50pts, but in the two prior years had 34/26
Trouba ($5.5 million) has struggled to stay healthy, but still can give you 20/30 points a season consistently

So factoring in that the cap will continue to rise, I don't see how $6 to $7 million for 8 years needs have the brakes put on. That's around the going rate for young RHD that log big minutes and can produce offensively.

So in one thread you are talking about the bruins will regret moving Krug because they won’t have an offensive defender. Yet in another thread you are saying even if mcavoys offensive game doesn’t improve and stays the same he should give you 40 points.

Lol so what is it? if Krug leaves are we not going to have an offensive defender or will we have guys like mcavoy and gryz stepping up? Hard to imagine if Krug leaves that mcavoys offensive production won’t go up to roughly 50 points with the added PP opportunities and other offensive opportunities that he could take over.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So in one thread you are talking about the bruins will regret moving Krug because they won’t have an offensive defender. Yet in another thread you are saying even if mcavoys offensive game doesn’t improve and stays the same he should give you 40 points.

Lol so what is it? if Krug leaves are we not going to have an offensive defender or will we have guys like mcavoy and gryz stepping up? Hard to imagine if Krug leaves that mcavoys offensive production won’t go up to roughly 50 points with the added PP opportunities and other offensive opportunities that he could take over.

Lol the fact that you've spent time scouring threads and found a post from almost 3 weeks ago and now are trying to use it for a complete different argument is hilarious and sad at the same time. Btw Krug is a nearly 60pt dman... last I checked 40 isn't 60. Seriously though let it go. I have no interesting in continuing this conversation with you. I've learned from other forums just to walk away from you once you get going because you talk in circles and arguing things no one else is arguing.

Feel free to respond, but don't expect a response

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lol the fact that you've spent time scouring threads and found a post from almost 3 weeks ago and now are trying to use it for a complete different argument is hilarious and sad at the same time. Btw Krug is a nearly 60pt dman... last I checked 40 isn't 60. Seriously though let it go. I have no interesting in continuing this conversation with you. I've learned from other forums just to walk away from you once you get going because you talk in circles and arguing things no one else is arguing.

Feel free to respond, but don't expect a response

Not talking in circles just pointing out how you are contradicting yourself. You said if mcavoy doesn’t improve we should expect 40 points out of him. Assuming we all think he should improve how many points do you think that era him to 45-48? Then if Krug leaves and mcavoy takes a more offensive role. How many more points is that with Krug gone.

Just weird how you are saying bruins fans would be complaining about not having and offensive defender if Krug left in one thread, but also are saying you expect mcavoy to be at 40 with no improvement to his game.

And you said you expect 40 points from mcavoy with Krug staying here in mind and no improvement from mcavoys game last year. Those numbers would certainly jump with improvement and Krug leaving.

Contradicting yourself pretty hard.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Serious question here Oneman.

You said if mcavoy doesn’t improve at all offensively and just stays the same, over an 82 game season you expect 40 points from him.

Hypothetically if Krug were to be moved and mcavoy has just your average year 1 to year 2 jump in play/production then....

1) how many points would you predict mcavoy gets with Krug gone and mcavoy gets an extra 1-1.5 minutes on the power play and jumps from PP1 to PP2?

2) if Krug stays and mcavoy has the average jump in production from year 1 to year 2, how many points do you expect mcavoy to get?

3) if Krug is gone how many more points would you expect Matty Gryz to get with the added offensive opportunity and jumping on to PP2?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

This was good, except for the part where he didn't pick Pasta over Matthews :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad