Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Hate to pile on, but McAvoy has looked terrible of late. Slow and sluggish, poor decisions with the puck on breakouts, confused offensively... I know the kid's a gamer so I expect he'll ramp his game up for the playoffs but right now he's their 6th or 7th most effective D. Maybe sit him for a game or two to snap him out of it, like they did with Heinen.

All that said, they would be bat shit crazy to trade him. This is a rut. Carlo struggled in year 2 as well, and is playing with confidence and really pushing himself to improve and make an impact in year 3. It's typical.

Reactions: Pomee

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Hate to pile on, but McAvoy has looked terrible of late. Slow and sluggish, poor decisions with the puck on breakouts, confused offensively... I know the kid's a gamer so I expect he'll ramp his game up for the playoffs but right now he's their 6th or 7th most effective D. Maybe sit him for a game or two to snap him out of it, like they did with Heinen.

All that said, they would be bat **** crazy to trade him. This is a rut. Carlo struggled in year 2 as well, and is playing with confidence and really pushing himself to improve and make an impact in year 3. It's typical.

Carlo has been far from steller the last two games either. Charlie is going to be a great player that is dealing with getting his game back.

With how pathetic this team is after the first line Charlie not being an allstar every game is the least of the problems with this group

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Charlie's injuries are coming back to haunt him.

He didn't get to establish a relationship with a consistent D partner and thus, he's been out of position a lot and looks a bit lost

Pretty sure that's why he got paired with Gryz recently since they were partners at BU.

At this point, this season is a wash for him.

I hope he can turn it on down the stretch but I'm keeping my expectations on the low end.

I think he will bounce back next season and I certainly wouldn't do anything crazy like trade him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

All that said, they would be bat **** crazy to trade him. This is a rut. Carlo struggled in year 2 as well, and is playing with confidence and really pushing himself to improve and make an impact in year 3. It's typical.

As @Alicat said, this season might be a wash for McAvoy.

Over in the Chara thread, many are in agreement that since coming back from the knee injury he hasn't looked like the Chara we've come to expect.

Halak is looking more and more like "Islander Halak", he hasn't has a strong game in over a month.

Then you have a trade thread suggesting to go out and use young assets to rent every UFA under the sun to fix a Bottom 5 offense.

How far is this team going to go when it appears both Chara and McAvoy may be marginalized the rest of the season?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Over in the Chara thread, many are in agreement that since coming back from the knee injury he hasn't looked like the Chara we've come to expect.

Halak is looking more and more like "Islander Halak", he hasn't has a strong game in over a month.

Then you have a trade thread suggesting to go out and use young assets to rent every UFA under the sun to fix a Bottom 5 offense.

How far is this team going to go when it appears both Chara and McAvoy may be marginalized the rest of the season?

IF and it`s a big if, CM can stay healthy for the rest of the season, I have all confidence we`ll see him become far more assertive at the offensive end of things. I think he had a great game last night and has played exceptionally sound defensively in the last 3. His late penalty is painful but it`s also a learning curve, his defensive positioning and physicality have been terrific, mentioned it in another thread, not sure how many shots he blocked but felt like a half dozen last night and not just pucks that happened to hit him, he put himself into a position where getting a shot through would be tough.

I`m not nearly as discouraged as some seem to be with him, like to see an offensive uptick in his game but also understand the time he`s missed this year so far has really pushed his game a bit behind the 8 ball and I`ll put my money on a strong late season push offensively from Mac if he stays healthy

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
McAvoy's numbers on the year with injuries:

7GP - 1G / 5A

15 missed games - Concussion

10GP - 0G / 5A

7 missed games - Lower Body

10GP - 0G / 1A

Seems like he's really struggled to get going after returning from injuries. I have to wonder if he (like DeBrusk) is still not 100% from the concussion. Head injuries can be very very tricky.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Educated guess on my part but Charlie gets himself too amped up for games against the team he worshipped growing up and this year has made mistakes in both games with the Rangers that directly led to a loss.

I have to think he has some lingering concussion issues as well.

Reactions: Alicat

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

lol we are less than a week away from Chara and McAvoy playing 25 mins while shutting out the Caps. we're gonna be ok

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
lol we are less than a week away from Chara and McAvoy playing 25 mins while shutting out the Caps. we're gonna be ok

They also got walked around a couple times in that game (I was a little bit shocked when I checked after the game and seen they played 25 mins.).

I'm not saying either have been terrible, just less than what we have come to expect (in Chara's case) or in McAvoy's, less than what we believe his potential is.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They also got walked around a couple times in that game (I was a little bit shocked when I checked after the game and seen they played 25 mins.).

I'm not saying either have been terrible, just less than what we have come to expect (in Chara's case) or in McAvoy's, less than what we believe his potential is.

even the best D in the game get burned (not saying Z or Mac are the best by any stretch), I think fans here aren`t watching closely enough to what Charlie has been improving on recently. My biggest concern with him was his struggles identifying when to and when not to jump into the play or pinch or take a risk. It`s clear that the coaching staff have worked closely with him to focus on the defensive side of things for now, the offensive side we know he can bring but he needed to improve upon his discipline and recognition of on ice scenarios and where he`s best to be and I look at the last 3 games, yep the Cap game too, and what he did in that game was very encouraging.

He made a young player`s mistake last night and let`s be honest, we see vets make that hit all the time too, unfortunately, timing of that penalty was horrendous. The kid will be fine as long as he stays healthy, he makes a ton of subtle plays that if were not watching closely, we won`t see and they are plays most can`t make

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
McAvoy has all the talent in the world but will follow the same path as others A.K.A peaks and valleys. That's the nature of the game and the nature of the learning curve. Patience, folks, patience.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Mick Colegeo had a great podcast the other day and spoke for a few minutes about Charlie’s game. Would really give some some great perspective.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Can Cassidy at least try once to start mcavoy on the powerplay. It's always krug give this young horse a chance to show his oodles of skills. I've always said he's a clone of ryan mcdounagh and is a staple of our blueline for years to come . He's gonna put over 40 points a season easily.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Charlie make 20 plays a game that most don't even notice. He is by far the best Dman on this team. Grizz is second.

Carlo for example has been pretty bad the last few games ,with him it comes down to him needing to be physical to be effective and be all he can be.

Posters need to look back at Bourque and see how many times he was "walked" around.

If posters where looking to get rid of me start continue trying to turn Charlie into the new HF whipping boy and I'm gone. :)

Charlie is going to be a great player

Reactions: wintersej

False Start

May 8, 2018
Can Cassidy at least try once to start mcavoy on the powerplay. It's always krug give this young horse a chance to show his oodles of skills. I've always said he's a clone of ryan mcdounagh and is a staple of our blueline for years to come . He's gonna put over 40 points a season easily.

He's a more talented version of McDonagh.

Agreed on 40+ points part. With the potential for more as long as he keeps improving.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

you want to put him out there instead of DeBrusk/Backes and run a 3F 2D PP...Im all for it.

But no way should you sit a weapon like Krug on the PP just so Charlie can get some time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad