Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you mean health wise, then I agree.
I saw Kluzak play one of his last games before he called it quits due to his knee. He was better on one leg than the other D on both.
Very sad.

Yes, that is what I meant, about the injuries. Not as a player- Kluz was very good, one of our big 'what ifs?' from the past.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He had a ridiculously good season for a 19/20 year old rookie defenceman. Wasn't sheltered at all, had a pretty tough zone starts and opponents, was given a ton of responsibility but absolutely crushed it with outstanding puck possession numbers. He's not much of a goalscorer, but his outrageous passing range and selection will give him a chance to hit 50ish assists every year with a little bit more ice time. He has all the ingredients to become one of the best 200 foot defencemen in the league.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He had a ridiculously good season for a 19/20 year old rookie defenceman. Wasn't sheltered at all, had a pretty tough zone starts and opponents, was given a ton of responsibility but absolutely crushed it with outstanding puck possession numbers. He's not much of a goalscorer, but his outrageous passing range and selection will give him a chance to hit 50ish assists every year with a little bit more ice time. He has all the ingredients to become one of the best 200 foot defencemen in the league.

I completely endorse this sentiment. I am optimistic about his goal-scoring. He had 7 in 63, so him potting 10 with a full season last year wouldn't have been out of the question. With some more experience and the confidence that comes with it, along with increased PP time, he might be a 15 goal guy or more.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I complete endorse this sentiment. I am optimistic about his goal-scoring. He had 7 in 63, so him potting 10 with a full season last year wouldn't have been out of the question. With some more experience and the confidence that comes with it, along with increased PP time, he might be a 15 goal guy or more.

I`m not one bit worried about CM producing points. The area I would wager the coaching staff will likely continue to work with him on and stressing to him are decision making, identifying when to and not to pinch or take a risk, body position in the corners/front of the net. The kid has all the tools, gonna be a blast to watch when we have the finished product IMO.

Reactions: Dr Hook

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I really think the Moore signing was to give McAvoy a new LD partner. They were looking for one at the trade deadline because they wanted to reunite Chara - Carlo as a shutdown pair. Whether or not that is a good idea, I think that has been the plan.

I'll just point out that McAvoy wears 73 and Moore has taken 27.
73+27=100. <--Confirmed pair. :nod:

Reactions: Krupp and PB37

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I really think the Moore signing was to give McAvoy a new LD partner. They were looking for one at the trade deadline because they wanted to reunite Chara - Carlo as a shutdown pair. Whether or not that is a good idea, I think that has been the plan.

I'll just point out that McAvoy wears 73 and Moore has taken 27.
73+27=100. <--Confirmed pair. :nod:
Just like 37+63

Reactions: wintersej and 00BW

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Just like 37+63
Yup. Obviously, just a joke as we won't know until camp/preseason how it will all play out but I saw his number when the Bruins tweeted it out and couldn't resist. He might be the guy McAvoy needs to take a little more O zone risk since Moore is fast enough to keep up with any attempted breakaways. That was the one vulnerability with the Chara - McAvoy pairings where Chara lacked the foot speed on homerun passes.

But I also like this:
63 + 37 + 10 = 110%

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m not sure what CM`s point production might be on average once his game fully rounds out but in this coming season, offensively I`d like to see the kid get a bit more selfish. Common issue with kids is they will often defer to others on the ice and more than a few times, watched CM pass off rather than take the shot himself

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Let’s start this out on a good note.

Is Charlie McAvoy a future Norris caliber Dman? Yes/No? Give your reasons and if you think he is, how long before he gets there? If you want, feel free to comment on what his next contract looks like and when it gets done.
He may not win one but I believe he will be (at least) in the running for many years. Reminds me of Doughty.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He may not win one but I believe he will be (at least) in the running for many years. Reminds me of Doughty.

Too many Norris winners win partially because of their point production. McAvoy just might not be the greatest point producer, especially if he doesn't pay the PP, and if he plays against other team top lines.
You're right he just might turn out the a top 5 Dmen in league for years, but not win. a Norris.

False Start

May 8, 2018
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this player.

He makes playing hockey look easy. The composure with the puck, the easy mobility, the strength to bully people in the corners, willingness to dangle people. He's got it all.

He MIGHT not win a Norris. But he definitely can if he keeps improving his game. He's already a game changing player.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Let’s not worry about the Norris trophy at this point. Growing his game is more important. He’s a long way from any trophy.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
any reason why the b's haven't signed him to an extension yet?
He's probably choosing to do a 'prove it' year like Pastrnak did. If he signed now, it would be for a lot less. If he puts up 50+ points, leads the team in TOI, etc., he will be able to negotiate a bigger deal next year. Right now, the Bruins would probably only offer a bridge deal. After an excellent 2nd season, he could get $6m+ for 6 years.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
of course they don't have to...but get ahead of it now and save money. next summer he's gonna be looking at
subban-type dollars. maybe you get him for 6-7 schmill per year now?
He has franchise player potential. Bruins will pay for that. He had a tough knee injury and struggled when he first came back. It felt like he was hesitant to shoot in some situations. I expect him to keep improving and be a top 1st pair D by the end of the season. No reason on either side to sign now.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Yet!
...but if he stays healthy I could see Charlie having a 20 goal season.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
of course they don't have to...but get ahead of it now and save money. next summer he's gonna be looking at
He’s not going to command that type of money. Chiarelli doesn’t work in Boston anymore. Geez, he’s only played one year. Easy with the $ubban comparison. Is he better than Trouba, that everyone has a hard on for? Trouba just got @5.5 mil.

Last edited:

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I have absolutely nothing insightful to post.

I just wanted to say I can't wait to see what kind of warrior this kid grows into

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
any reason why the b's haven't signed him to an extension yet?

If you go by Sweeney’s recent history with the bigger extensions (Marchand, Pasta), I wouldn’t expect anything on this until September. Doesn’t mean that they aren’t working on it now.

If you break it down a little further, the signed Marchand a year in advance, but that could have been because he was going to be a UFA, and they wanted him locked up before he got any ideas about leaving. Pasta, they let go until right before training camp, but he was an RFA.

Personally, I would like to see Charlie locked up early. It’s a bit of a risk, but it works both ways. If he has a monster year, they will be glad they signed him before the season.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

You're only looking at this from the team side. If your McAvoy's agent you're telling him to play out the season so you can get a larger deal. Even if the worst case happens and he regresses, he takes a 1-2 bridge deal. It takes two sides to make a deal and while the B's want to save money, McAvoy's agent wants to get the most money possible. If you look at other RFA's d-men of his caliber, he's going to be in that $6 to $7 million range.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You're only looking at this from the team side. If your McAvoy's agent you're telling him to play out the season so you can get a larger deal. Even if the worst case happens and he regresses, he takes a 1-2 bridge deal. It takes two sides to make a deal and while the B's want to save money, McAvoy's agent wants to get the most money possible. If you look at other RFA's d-men of his caliber, he's going to be in that $6 to $7 million range.
What caliber? The kid had a decent year. Got a few injuries and a medical issue. His season didn’t blow anyone out of the water. I know everyone is hoping this kid is the next one but geez, some people are getting ahead of themselves. He’s got a long way to go. I put money on it that he won’t see anything above 4 mil in his next contract. Everyone had Marchand at 8 mil. How that work out? People clamoring for Pasternak to get 7.5 mil. How that work out? He’s had one full season, put the brakes on.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What caliber? The kid had a decent year. Got a few injuries and a medical issue. His season didn’t blow anyone out of the water. I know everyone is hoping this kid is the next one but geez, some people are getting ahead of themselves. He’s got a long way to go. I put money on it that he won’t see anything above 4 mil in his next contract. Everyone had Marchand at 8 mil. How that work out? People clamoring for Pasternak to get 7.5 mil. How that work out? He’s had one full season, put the brakes on.

Kids playing 1st pairing minutes, even if his offensive output stays the same he'll give you 40 points over an 82 games season (assuming he plays all 82 games). Two guys that just signed deals this season as comps would be Trouba and Dumba.

Dumba ($6 million) last year exploded for 50pts, but in the two prior years had 34/26
Trouba ($5.5 million) has struggled to stay healthy, but still can give you 20/30 points a season consistently

So factoring in that the cap will continue to rise, I don't see how $6 to $7 million for 8 years needs have the brakes put on. That's around the going rate for young RHD that log big minutes and can produce offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad