Charlie Huddy for head coach

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I believe there is a general consensus that Claude Noel is not in the Winnipeg Jets long term plans. It is more a matter of if rather than when he is thanked for his services and advised that the Jet's are moving in a "different direction".

I know there was a thread discussing who the replacement should be. I would like us to focus specifically on Charlie Huddy. Aside from having a tremendous resume as a player, Huddy has a wealth of coaching experience. He has been an assistant coach in the NHL for 14 years. In all but one of the last 12 years the teams he has coached have had a winning record.

I would support immediately removing Noel while there is still some faint hope that the current campaign can be salvaged and putting Huddy in on an interim basis. If Huddy isn't the answer, Chevy would be able to remove him from the conversation and find the best possible coach that comes available in the off season (some good ones always do seem to surface).

So what do you think? Any merit to this?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know enough about Charlie Huddy to make an informed decision. I certainly think he's done a good job with skill development amongst our defencemen. I don't really know what type of systems he would run or if thats something hes suited for.
I suppose giving him a shot on an interim deal is a possibility.
I think my preference would be to hire someone with a track record as an NHL coach though.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I think that view is quite common. Lots of people would like an experienced, successful NHL head coach to replace Noel. Problem is that the pickings are somewhat slim right at the moment. If we want to replace Noel now, putting Huddy in on an interim basis allows us to get Noel out without getting stuck with a less than optimum long term replacement. If Huddy earns the job by the end of the season, so much the better.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I would support immediately removing Noel while there is still some faint hope that the current campaign can be salvaged and putting Huddy in on an interim basis. If Huddy isn't the answer, Chevy would be able to remove him from the conversation and find the best possible coach that comes available in the off season (some good ones always do seem to surface).

While I think "immediately" is a bit hasty, I have to say I kind of like this. If say, by Christmas or the Olympic break or so, we're playing like trash and our prospects still look dismal, I'd probably be on board with this. It would take a lot more sucking by Noel, but it seems like a good deal for the Jets. Has Huddy ever been a head coach in any capacity though? We seem to have a weird tendency of demanding experienced and qualified coaches here, right up until we find someone new and shiny...

If he turns out to be really good, that's great, if not we can spend the off-season doing interviews and giving someone time to implement a new system. As long as he's cool with it being interim and returning to managing our d-men if we end up going with someone else. The deal would have to be interim though, and he'd have to be exemplary to retain the position.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I see lots of fans complaining that Noel shows no emotions behind the bench. Huddy is worse. I don't think he's HC material, but have no problems with him being an interim.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I like Huddy, but I don't think he's head coach material... at least not yet. At this point, the Jets could really use a good head coach with a system that puts an end to the bad habits they've picked up and plays to their strengths. I think we could also use more of an offensive guy.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
What makes anybody think Huddy would make a good head coach? Isn't he the one responsible for our abysmal PK? What are you guys basing this on? Our guys basically back up in a shell and wait for the onslaught. No aggressiveness whatsoever. Interested to know why people think he would be a good HC?

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
if Huddy is our only choice, I'd stick with Mr.Emotionless. Thank you very much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would be OK with this idea!

I don't know if he's a long term solution but it would be worth a shot!

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
What makes anybody think Huddy would make a good head coach? Isn't he the one responsible for our abysmal PK? What are you guys basing this on? Our guys basically back up in a shell and wait for the onslaught. No aggressiveness whatsoever. Interested to know why people think he would be a good HC?

What abysmal PK? We're ranked 12th in the league. I don't understand why people think we have a terrible PK.

Our PP on the other hand...

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Would Mark Chipman be willing to be interim head coach for the rest of the season?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What abysmal PK? We're ranked 12th in the league. I don't understand why people think we have a terrible PK.

Our PP on the other hand...

I think he's referencing our 5v5 defensive zone play

peg

Jul 8, 2010
So what exactly is Noel doing that Huddy may do worse?

System?
Communication?
Motivation?
Goalie usage?
Power play?
Building confidence?

Huddy may not be the ideal coach, I don't know. He has been an NHL assistant coach for 14 years. He was a head coach in the ECHL. He played in the NHL forever. I just can't see the downside.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I believe there is a general consensus that Claude Noel is not in the Winnipeg Jets long term plans. It is more a matter of if rather than when he is thanked for his services and advised that the Jet's are moving in a "different direction".

I know there was a thread discussing who the replacement should be. I would like us to focus specifically on Charlie Huddy. Aside from having a tremendous resume as a player, Huddy has a wealth of coaching experience. He has been an assistant coach in the NHL for 14 years. In all but one of the last 12 years the teams he has coached have had a winning record.

No, let Noel ride out the season and then let our GM pick the coach, it just sad that our GM has not picked the coach:help::shakehead:rant:

Ober

Sep 18, 2012
So what exactly is Noel doing that Huddy may do worse?

System?
Communication?
Motivation?
Goalie usage?
Power play?
Building confidence?

Huddy may not be the ideal coach, I don't know. He has been an NHL assistant coach for 14 years. He was a head coach in the ECHL. He played in the NHL forever. I just can't see the downside.

There is a reason Huddy has not been a head coach in the NHL after 14 years...and I don't know what it is...but he obviously is not a head coach.

Let me also say that there is no "consensus" that Noel should not be the Jets head coach. Far from it.

The simple fact, in my opinion, is that we have at least two (if not three) very important players who are still not 100% committed to playing the "long term system" that TRUE NORTH (not just Noel) wants to ultimately cultivate here in Winnipeg.

The system (to some fans despair) will not be run and gun...trading chance for chance...which is what these players want to do (because it is more fun). It will be committing ones self to hard work, defensive responsibility and making smart/simple plays if that is all that is available...and whether it is Noel or another coach who ultimately drives this home to all 50 players under contract with the True North Winnipeg Jets organization will only depend on Wins and Losses at this point in time unfortunately.

It has been very obvious...up to this point in season 1 in the West Conference/Central Division...that "fun run and gun" gets a team nowhere fast.

True North knows this...Chevy knows this...Noel knows this...only certain VIP players (1) don't want to believe this, (2) want to resist the belief (hoping for a "run and gun" coach) or (3) are incapable of actually playing in a system/culture like this.

In my opinion...UNFORTUNATLY...True North's coaching hand may be forced by these few VIP players not committing...but...even if Noel is let go...I think you will see these same players moved out for most likely "younger lesser skilled" players...which will only prolong the PROCESS of developing the TRUE NORTH CULTURE that they ultimately want and have communicated to everyone that asks.

ps My only complaint with Noel has been his reluctance to use our second goalie more often for a third straight year. Pavelec has been overused...but is far from being a problem. Noel...give Montoya more starts.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a reason Huddy has not been a head coach in the NHL after 14 years...and I don't know what it is...but he obviously is not a head coach.

Let me also say that there is no "consensus" that Noel should not be the Jets head coach. Far from it.

The simple fact, in my opinion, is that we have at least two (if not three) very important players who are still not 100% committed to playing the "long term system" that TRUE NORTH (not just Noel) wants to ultimately cultivate here in Winnipeg.

The system (to some fans despair) will not be run and gun...trading chance for chance...which is what these players want to do (because it is more fun). It will be committing ones self to hard work, defensive responsibility and making smart/simple plays if that is all that is available...and whether it is Noel or another coach who ultimately drives this home to all 50 players under contract with the True North Winnipeg Jets organization will only depend on Wins and Losses at this point in time unfortunately.

It has been very obvious...up to this point in season 1 in the West Conference/Central Division...that "fun run and gun" gets a team nowhere fast.

True North knows this...Chevy knows this...Noel knows this...only certain VIP players (1) don't want to believe this, (2) want to resist the belief (hoping for a "run and gun" coach) or (3) are incapable of actually playing in a system/culture like this.

In my opinion...UNFORTUNATLY...True North's coaching hand may be forced by these few VIP players not committing...but...even if Noel is let go...I think you will see these same players moved out for most likely "younger lesser skilled" players...which will only prolong the PROCESS of developing the TRUE NORTH CULTURE that they ultimately want and have communicated to everyone that asks.

ps My only complaint with Noel has been his reluctance to use our second goalie more often for a third straight year. Pavelec has been overused...but is far from being a problem. Noel...give Montoya more starts.

No one wants to see the team play run and gun, but the team should be playing a more up temple system that adheres to the personnel on this team. We are capable of carrying the puck on more and not dumping and chasing all the time.

The team's dezone system could also be improved as the swarm leads to too many breakdowns.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

No one wants to see the team play run and gun, but the team should be playing a more up temple system that adheres to the personnel on this team. We are capable of carrying the puck on more and not dumping and chasing all the time.

The team's dezone system could also be improved as the swarm leads to too many breakdowns.

Ober

Sep 18, 2012
Anyone who thinks Noels "system" is about dump and chase is simply wrong.

I suggest people listen more closely to what he says...not what certain players seem to choose to do:

We "have what we have" in players right now...we don't have "immediate replacements" for players not buying in right now...we need 20 players on the same page or we won't have much success right now...

Anyone who thinks that the Jets powerplay problems are due to coaching needs to take a reality pill. The simple fact is we DO NOT have hockey players who are skilled at "controlling the puck" in the offensive zone or entering into it for that matter. There is a reason all teams pressure our players all over the ice. They are simply not great at "controlling the puck". But certain players have continued to choose to think they can do this and are better than they are...and others look for the pretty goal...or the one extra pass...or the "perfect" one timer shot...or the one extra "individual" move. Certain players are not doing what the coaches are asking/telling them to do...because they put themselves ahead of the collective whole of the team.

The Jets have lots of skilled SPEED players...but very few skilled control puck/stickhandling players...and the system True North and Noel are trying to cultivate has been one of hard work, defensive responsible and to play smart/simple "when nothing else is there".

The Jets issues right now will not be instantly fixed with one trade or head coaching change...because the problems are with the players choices and/or their desire to execute as a collective whole (ie: 20 players)...vs individual wants.

When this team plays as a collective whole and all 20 guys are on the same page and they play consistent simple hard work hockey...they are a joy to watch.

When they don't...they are not...and it has been especially noticeable against the teams in our division this year...where "individual skill" has not been why the other teams have come out with wins.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

I suggest people listen more closely to what he says...not what certain players seem to choose to do:

We "have what we have" in players right now...we don't have "immediate replacements" for players not buying in right now...we need 20 players on the same page or we won't have much success right now...

Anyone who thinks that the Jets powerplay problems are due to coaching needs to take a reality pill. The simple fact is we DO NOT have hockey players who are skilled at "controlling the puck" in the offensive zone or entering into it for that matter. There is a reason all teams pressure our players all over the ice. They are simply not great at "controlling the puck". But certain players have continued to choose to think they can do this and are better than they are...and others look for the pretty goal...or the one extra pass...or the "perfect" one timer shot...or the one extra "individual" move. Certain players are not doing what the coaches are asking/telling them to do...because they put themselves ahead of the collective whole of the team.

The Jets have lots of skilled SPEED players...but very few skilled control puck/stickhandling players...and the system True North and Noel are trying to cultivate has been one of hard work, defensive responsible and to play smart/simple "when nothing else is there".

The Jets issues right now will not be instantly fixed with one trade or head coaching change...because the problems are with the players choices and/or their desire to execute as a collective whole (ie: 20 players)...vs individual wants.

When this team plays as a collective whole and all 20 guys are on the same page and they play consistent simple hard work hockey...they are a joy to watch.

When they don't...they are not...and it has been especially noticeable against the teams in our division this year...where "individual skill" has not been why the other teams have come out with wins.

I agree with this totally. Thanks.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Ok, I'm assuming that many folks here have jobs, or understand the concept of working for a living.

Let's imagine that you do what's expected of you at work. Why would you be fired for that?

The Jets, by consensus outside of the Jets forum, were not expected to make the playoffs. You could have made $4 on your $1 bet if you put your money on them to make the playoffs at the start of the season. So, the Jets are performing as expected.

When you get into work tomorrow, imagine YOUR surprise if you're fired for doing your job at a level of reasonable expectation.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's been pretty clear since the beginning of summer that Noel's job is on the line. Management didn't want a lame duck coach, but certainly weren't compelled to committ to him long term. He was definitely going into an "evaluation" season. And it is not going well.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

OK, after your first post in this thread I suspected you were Claude Noel. Now I know for sure! :)

Seriously though.. good post.. you seem to have a solid theory. Although if you are right it means this team is a ways away from fixing what's wrong and a new coach won't help one bit. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad