NESN Charlie Coyle Wins NESN’s 7th Player Award For Exceeding Expectations

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Pasta was on a 41 goals, 100 pts over 82 games pace last year, and was playing injured in his last few games and the playoffs. It's not "exceeding expectations" that a pure goal scorer with those numbers could hit 50/100 in his 4th season. Also, it's called the "7th Player Award" for a reason, because the 1st-6th players are already your best players.

IMHO, the only other 7th Player contender was Carlo.

No where in the description of the awards does it say that the 7th player awards is for anyone not your 1st to 6th best player lol. Go back and look at the previous winners....most of them were one of the top 6 players on the team.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No where in the description of the awards does it say that the 7th player awards is for anyone not your 1st to 6th best player lol. Go back and look at the previous winners....most of them were one of the top 6 players on the team.

Agree to disagree. What Pasta did this year was well within expectations given his past performances. He's been amongst the top 5 right wingers in the entire league for a couple seasons now, that he would lead the B's in scoring is most certainly expected.

As to the "7th player" not being your 1st through 6th player? Well, it kind of says that in the name of the award, doesn't it? :huh:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
maybe because people just dont look at the numbers and judge a player by that .

I mean the award is for exceeding expectations, so your production would be a big part of that, no? Again I like Coyle, elite #3C...but he didn't exceed expectations (not for me anyways). I think people over value him a bit because he's a local kid and plays a Bruins style of hockey.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Agree to disagree. What Pasta did this year was well within expectations given his past performances. He's been amongst the top 5 right wingers in the entire league for a couple seasons now, that he would lead the B's in scoring is most certainly expected.

As to the "7th player" not being your 1st through 6th player? Well, it kind of says that in the name of the award, doesn't it? :huh:

Agree, we can agree to disagree. I don't think anyone was expecting him to net nearly 50 goals (that's not easily done unless your name is Ovie) or win the rocket, but meh.

As for the award, you can take the name if it any way you want, but again look at the past winners....most were one of the Bruins top 6 players.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Who said I wanted to go just by points? I personally voted based on expectations vs what they did, but again my expectations for Coyle were different than most apparently. I expected a roughly 40pt season from Coyle while playing a solid #3C role. I didn't expect Pasta to net nearly 50G, win the Richard, be in talks for a potential MVP and nearly crack 100pts.

Maybe you just had lower expectations for Pasta :dunno: He scored at a 47 goal pace last year. I definitely expected him to be among the league leaders in goals and close in on 100 points

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Agree, we can agree to disagree. I don't think anyone was expecting him to net nearly 50 goals (that's not easily done unless your name is Ovie) or win the rocket, but meh.

As for the award, you can take the name if it any way you want, but again look at the past winners....most were one of the Bruins top 6 players.

Whatever. It's a long running joke that many of those voting for the 7th player have no clue what the award is about.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Maybe you just had lower expectations for Pasta :dunno: He scored at a 47 goal pace last year. I definitely expected him to be among the league leaders in goals and close in on 100 points

I mean based on my original post I would have expected a 40G/45A season for Pasta....is that really a low expectation lol.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I mean based on my original post I would have expected a 40G/45A season for Pasta....is that really a low expectation lol.

So you expected him to perform at a pace that is 7 goals less than last year?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Are we really arguing for Pasta again? He got it when he unexpectedly made the team as an 18 year old, and again when he broke out to 30+ goals and near a point per game.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Pasta was on a 47 goals, 100 pts over 82 games pace last year, and was playing injured in his last few games and the playoffs. It's not "exceeding expectations" that a pure goal scorer with those numbers could hit 50/100 in his 4th season. Also, it's called the "7th Player Award" for a reason, because the 1st-6th players are already your best players.

IMHO, the only other 7th Player contender was Carlo.

Yup I would have been happy if Carlo had gotten it- he's improved tremendously this season.

Reactions: TwineTickler

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So you expected him to perform at a pace that is 7 goals less than last year?

Nope because I usually look at 3 years of data. His last 3 years his G/GP put him around 39G over 82 games and his A/GP put him around 45 A/GP.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yup I would have been happy if Carlo had gotten it- he's improved tremendously this season.

Carlo would have been a good one too. Career high in points and more than his last two years combined, while also being one of the premier shutdown d-men in the NHL this past season.

Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Thought Carlo should have gotten the award, but certainly not going to argue against Coyle getting it. Glad to see him get recognition for his hard play and the contributions he makes nightly that don't show up in the major stats.

Reactions: TwineTickler

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nope because I usually look at 3 years of data. His last 3 years his G/GP put him around 39G over 82 games and his A/GP put him around 45 A/GP.

So you include the last 3 years of a guy who is now entering his prime? That's just silly. No wonder you underestimated him.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So you include the last 3 years of a guy who is now entering his prime? That's just silly. No wonder you underestimated him.

Well considering in those 3 years he was playing a similar role at 18+ minutes a night, its a pretty solid gauge. Do you expect his production to go up? sure. Do you expect him to go from a guy whose average G/GP puts him around 40G a year to having a pace of 56G on a year? no lol. Again I don't recall anyone putting Pasta down for nearly 50G, winning the rocket and being considered for the MVP. Maybe I missed those predictions from folks.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Well considering in those 3 years he was playing a similar role at 18+ minutes a night, its a pretty solid gauge. Do you expect his production to go up? sure. Do you expect him to go from a guy whose average G/GP puts him around 40G a year to having a pace of 56G on a year? no lol. Again I don't recall anyone putting Pasta down for nearly 50G, winning the rocket and being considered for the MVP. Maybe I missed those predictions from folks.

No, I don't think there are many who thought he'd regress to a 40 goal pace from a 47 goal pace at the age of 24. Far more thought he was capable of more than 47 when entering his prime years. Matter of fact, there were plenty of people saying he could hit 50+ last year, until he got hurt.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
No, I don't think there are many who thought he'd regress to a 40 goal pace from a 47 goal pace at the age of 24. Far more thought he was capable of more than 47 when entering his prime years. Matter of fact, there were plenty of people saying he could hit 50+ last year, until he got hurt.

Like you said, we can agree to disagree. I thought we had both agreed to that previously, but for some reason you wanted to keep going.

Just out of curiosity, what's your expectation for Pasta's goal scored next year assuming a full 82 games season? 60 goals? 65 goals?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Like you said, we can agree to disagree. I thought we had both agreed to that previously, but for some reason you wanted to keep going.

Just out of curiosity, what's your expectation for Pasta's goal scored next year assuming a full 82 games season? 60 goals? 65 goals?

It's certainly not 40 goals! :biglaugh:

And as to why I replied, you asked questions! Did you expect me to not answer them?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's certainly not 40 goals! :biglaugh:

And as to why I replied, you asked questions! Did you expect me to not answer them?

So you're not going to give me your expectation for his goals next year? You made it seem like it was pretty simple :biglaugh: I mean based on your comments its gotta be over 56 right? I mean he was on pace for 56 goals this year and in his prime, so it shouldn't go down.

BTW my question wasn't to you (nor was it really a question, but I could see how it could be taken as one), but you wanted to reply anyways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->