NESN Charlie Coyle Wins NESN’s 7th Player Award For Exceeding Expectations

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN announced Wednesday that Bruins forward Charlie Coyle has been named the winner of NESN’s 7th Player Award presented by the Law Tigers Motorcycle Injury Lawyers. Coyle was selected by a fan vote on NESN.com. NESN’s 7th Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the season.

A feature highlighting Coyle’s accomplishments and an exclusive interview with Coyle hosted by NESN’s play-by-play analyst Jack Edwards will air for the first time at 6 p.m. ET on Thursday during NESN’s pre-game coverage. Coyle, 28, produced 16 goals and 21 assists for 37 points with a plus-nine rating in 70 games with Boston this season. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound centerman ranked fifth on the team in goals, seventh in assists, sixth in scoring, and averaged the fifth-most ice time (16:47) among forwards.

Read more at: Charlie Coyle Wins NESN’s 7th Player Award For Exceeding Expectations

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Seeing as the awards is presented to the Bruin who exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the season, I'd be curious what Bruins fans expectation for Coyle were. He had 37pts in 70 games putting his P/GP right around his career average. He was on pace for 44pt which (at least for me) was the expectation, so I guess I'm not sure how he "exceeded expectations" this season.

On the flip side Pastrnak netted nearly 50G (was on pace for 56G) and had 95pts in 70G. How many Bruins fans had Pastrnak winning the Rocket and having that kind of season? I know I didn't. If you look at his previous 3yrs a safe prediction would have been 40G/45A in an 82 games season. He topped those numbers and did it in only 70 games. He played 4 more games than he did last year and managed 10 more goals and 4 more assist.

Don't get me wrong, I like Coyle and think he's a solid player. I just think the guy gets a little over hyped because he's a local kid.

Reactions: Pia8988

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It’s always been a popularity contest.

He’s been a great player and is doing things off the ice to stand out. I have no problem with him winning.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's also the 7th player award, so why would a 50 goal scorer win it? Coyle was a perfect choice in my opinion.

A good award to recognize one of the complementary players, and Coyle never has a lazy shift. By nature of the award it must have been between Coyle, Carlo, and Halak.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's also the 7th player award, so why would a 50 goal scorer win it? Coyle was a perfect choice in my opinion.

A good award to recognize one of the complementary players, and Coyle never has a lazy shift. By nature of the award it must have been between Coyle, Carlo, and Halak.

By the very definition of the award:

NESN’s 7th Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the season.

If I'm voting based on what the award is for, Pastrnak exceeded expectation more than Coyle did, no?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The award doesn't always have a candidate to fit the exact criteria specified. Look at some of the past winners...

2018-2019: Chris Wagner - Set a career high in goals and points while leading the team in hits. No one expected him to score 12 goals as a 4th liner

2017-2018: Charlie McAvoy - as a rookie he averaged over 22 minutes a night (2nd among d-men in ATOI) and 2nd among Bruins d-men in Points

2016-2017: David Pastrnak - after back to back sub 30pt seasons he broke out for 70pts which was good for 2nd on the team and also was 2nd in goals scored for the Bruins

2015-2016: Brad Marchand - scored 37 goals after never breaking 30 goals in his career, while also having the highest defensive point share among all Bruins forwards

2014-2015: David Pastrnak - probably shouldn't have won it, but it was his rookie year and everyone was jacked for him. Although I will say his OPT would have put him around 48 points which would have been 2nd best on the team.

^that's the last 5 years

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
By the very definition of the award:

NESN’s 7th Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the season.

If I'm voting based on what the award is for, Pastrnak exceeded expectation more than Coyle did, no?

It's name is 7th player so I automatically rule out the Bergeron line, Chara-McAvoy, and Rask.

In the remaining group which player exceeded expectations?

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's name is 7th player so I automatically rule out the Bergeron line, Chara-McAvoy, and Rask.

In the remaining group which player exceeded expectations?

Per my post above, 4 of the last 5 years (prior to this year) the winners were Marchand, Pastrnak x2 and McAvoy.

Even if you go back and look the last 10-15 years, its typically more of a team MVP award.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If you take into account what all the so-called hockey experts said about the Donato/Coyle trade last year, Charlie has most certainly exceeded expectations. Remember, he was traded for what some were calling an "elite" prospect.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I thought Brandon Carlo built off an impressive playoff run and was outstanding all year. He would’ve been my pick.

All told it’s a completely meaningless song and dance award

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Seeing as the awards is presented to the Bruin who exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the season, I'd be curious what Bruins fans expectation for Coyle were. He had 37pts in 70 games putting his P/GP right around his career average. He was on pace for 44pt which (at least for me) was the expectation, so I guess I'm not sure how he "exceeded expectations" this season.

On the flip side Pastrnak netted nearly 50G (was on pace for 56G) and had 95pts in 70G. How many Bruins fans had Pastrnak winning the Rocket and having that kind of season? I know I didn't. If you look at his previous 3yrs a safe prediction would have been 40G/45A in an 82 games season. He topped those numbers and did it in only 70 games. He played 4 more games than he did last year and managed 10 more goals and 4 more assist.

Don't get me wrong, I like Coyle and think he's a solid player. I just think the guy gets a little over hyped because he's a local kid.
He was so good based on the eye test though. I thought he was very easily the 4th best forward on the team behind the 1st line. Everyone that played with him looked better with him than without. He still has finishing questions, but if he played with a legit sniper, you'll see those point totals go up.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From he Globe:

The winner of the award, presented to the player who exceeds fan expectation, is chosen by an online vote at NESN.com.
“I used to be one of these fans,” Coyle said on NESN. “I’ve seen it first-hand, up in the nosebleeds, what it’s like just around the city, out in the suburbs, how muh this team and this organization really means to them . . . You want to play hard for them.”

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

aguineapig

For years I asked "Where's my Joel Otto?". Turns out he grew up in Weymouth and was hiding out in Minnesota.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He was so good based on the eye test though. I thought he was very easily the 4th best forward on the team behind the 1st line. Everyone that played with him looked better with him than without. He still has finishing questions, but if he played with a legit sniper, you'll see those point totals go up.

That's fine but did he exceed expectations? For me personally he didn't exceed expectations, but maybe others had lower expectations that I did for him.

Also he played over 300 minutes with DeBrusk this year and he's one of the top 20 goal scoring LW's in the NHL.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That's fine but did he exceed expectations? For me personally he didn't exceed expectations, but maybe others had lower expectations that I did for him.
For me he definitely did. I didn't expect him to be as good and consistent as he was. The hope was that he'd be a good 3rd line center for us, not the 4th best forward on the team. Cassidy kept growing his role in all facets of the game as well. He was 3 minutes ahead of every other forward in ice time the last 5 games before the break, and was right up there with Marchand for most ice time the last month.

NHL.com Stats

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For me he definitely did. I didn't expect him to be as good and consistent as he was. The hope was that he'd be a good 3rd line center for us, not the 4th best forward on the team. Cassidy kept growing his role in all facets of the game as well. He was 3 minutes ahead of every other forward in ice time the last 5 games before the break, and was right up there with Marchand for most ice time the last month.

NHL.com Stats

4th best forward is subjective. Depends on how you want to look at it. Krejci was 4th among FWD in points (6 more than Coyle) in 9 less games played. Again I guess it comes down to expectations and where people set the bar. Coyle for me had a season about what I'd expect him to based on the rest of his career.

Guess it works to his advantage that most didn't watch him much while he was in Minnesota :dunno:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
4th best forward is subjective. Depends on how you want to look at it. Krejci was 4th among FWD in points (6 more than Coyle) in 9 less games played. Again I guess it comes down to expectations and where people set the bar. Coyle for me had a season about what I'd expect him to based on the rest of his career.

Guess it works to his advantage that most didn't watch him much while he was in Minnesota :dunno:
Of course it's subjective, if you just want to go by points I guess that's your prerogative. I like to look at it more closely though.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Of course it's subjective, if you just want to go by points I guess that's your prerogative. I like to look at it more closely though.

Who said I wanted to go just by points? I personally voted based on expectations vs what they did, but again my expectations for Coyle were different than most apparently. I expected a roughly 40pt season from Coyle while playing a solid #3C role. I didn't expect Pasta to net nearly 50G, win the Richard, be in talks for a potential MVP and nearly crack 100pts.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Who said I wanted to go just by points? I personally voted based on expectations vs what they did, but again my expectations for Coyle were different than most apparently. I expected a roughly 40pt season from Coyle while playing a solid #3C role. I didn't expect Pasta to net nearly 50G, win the Richard, be in talks for a potential MVP and nearly crack 100pts.

Pasta was on a 47 goals, 100 pts over 82 games pace last year, and was playing injured in his last few games and the playoffs. It's not "exceeding expectations" that a pure goal scorer with those numbers could hit 50/100 in his 4th season. Also, it's called the "7th Player Award" for a reason, because the 1st-6th players are already your best players.

IMHO, the only other 7th Player contender was Carlo.

Last edited:

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario

maybe because people just dont look at the numbers and judge a player by that .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad