Boston Bruins Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-rounder- 4th if B's make 2nd round - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think I would believe Haggerty before I believe anything from those two clowns.

Again, not saying to believe it. Just that those narratives have already made their way out, which was in response to another posting asking how long before those types of stories hit.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Again, not saying to believe it. Just that those narratives have already made their way out, which was in response to another posting asking how long before those types of stories hit.
With those two its narratives are "made up" on air far more than they "make there way out" of any organization.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
With those two its narratives are "made up" on air far more than they "make there way out" of any organization.

Again, believe what you want. I don't really have a horse in this race. I merely responded to another poster that said how long before these kinds of rumors start.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Again, believe what you want. I don't really have a horse in this race. I merely responded to another poster that said how long before these kinds of rumors start.
That's 100% on those two clowns - that you would insinuate it's coming from the organization kind of shows that you do have a horse in the race. When I asked for links I assumed that there were stories out there, not just two talking heads speculating to fill air time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's 100% on those two clowns - that you would insinuate it's coming from the organization kind of shows that you do have a horse in the race. When I asked for links I assumed that there were stories out there, not just two talking heads speculating to fill air time.

Again, believe whatever you want. Not trying to influence you on anything. For the 7th time, it was in response to someone else asking how long before those stories start coming out. Not where they originated from or who was the author. Just them coming out.

Now that being said, you have to be incredibly naive to think that organizations don't play the PR game. But again, believe what you want.

BruinsNetwork

This might end up being longer than I expect, but here are my thoughts on the trade and Donato.

For starters, I think this is a good, old fashioned “hockey trade” between two teams in the NHL. While both the Wild and Bruins lost something of significance, I give the Bruins the edge right now. Charlie Coyle, 26, has one-year remaining at $3.2m per-year on his deal and is already an established W/C for the middle-six part of the roster. The Bruins gave up a highly-touted prospect who’s probably close to ready for full-time duty in the NHL so he can develop there, rather than the AHL.

Charlie Coyle is a solid, unspectacular middle-six forward who can play wing or center. He makes for an average second-line winger, but I think he’s much more effective as a third-line center. He’s got good size and is really, really strong, but also frustrating in that regard too. On some nights, you’ll watch him and think he’s some hidden gem you’ve never watched before. On other nights, he’ll be as invisible as can be— not using his weight to support himself on battles, not throwing his big frame around and not really skating hard. From what I’ve read, he gets down on himself pretty easily and confidence could be an issue at times. Either way, he’s still a solid, right-shot, middle-six center with size and those guys aren’t exactly easy to find.

Ryan Donato is a player that came to Boston after being shot out of a cannon. We know his skills are there, but he’s shown very little since his stint before the playoffs last year. Obviously he possesses a world-class shot and release, but he was weak on his skates and isn’t a great skater to begin with. These are definitely areas he can and will improve, but the Bruins are clearly in “win” mode and don’t have time to let him develop under them. Especially if they can use him to acquire a piece to help for now and the future— Coyle. Donato might be a touch overrated, especially after that performance last Spring. I personally think he can be a second-line sniper in the NHL capable of 20G-30G, but I think there are more question marks surrounding him than previously thought. He’s a good player, but he’s a left-shot and isn’t better than DeBrusk, Heinen or even Bjork in my opinion.

Don Sweeney gets ragged on a lot here for appearing to be “gun shy” and holding on too “tight” to his prospects. He’s been accused of nepotism in regards to Donato specifically, and, well, just kind of disproved all of that in one move, IMO. He traded Ryan Donato before he had a chance to be developed into something more than he is now, for an established young-veteran in the NHL. As I don’t actually love Charlie Coyle, I still think this is a clear win for Don Sweeney in more ways than one. The Bruins were able to add to their roster (for now and later) without subtracting from it, but also not giving up much from the farm in regards to quantity. That’s a good move if you asked me.

By trading Donato for a center with term, maybe this allows him to move someone like Frederic for a top-six winger, since Coyle can play in the middle-six for years to come if that’s something the Bruins want to do. They have options now in that regard. Let’s face it, the Bruins had to start moving out some of these players as they cant all play in the top-nine. DeBrusk, Heinen, Pastrnak, Cehlarik and Bjork have all competed— only DeBrusk and Pastrnak are locks. I think Bjork is a better player than Donato and if his injuries hadn’t piled up, then he would have easily surpassed him anyways. Soon, Lauko will be on his way. Zach Senyshyn should make the jump next year, too. The Bruins still have an abundance of young wingers trying to crack the lineup— they capitalized on moving one for a middle-six center.

The Bruins also have been drafting very well in the second-round and third-round of the draft. If you asked me, including a highly-touted prospect like Donato allowed them to give up only a fourth-round or fifth-round pick, as opposed to second or third. Bruins gave up a young, talented sniper...but you know what? If you want another, go out and draft one. They traded Vatrano last year (third-round pick) and went out and drafted a player in Lauko who has higher upside than Vatrano does. Some outlets even had Lauko pegged as a first-round pick.

Anyways, this was a good trade and clearly not an easy decision to make. I think Sweeney deserves a lot of credit on this one. I’ve seen constantly on Twitter how some people think that Donato should have been used in a package to get a top-six winger or some high-caliber forward. Well, don’t you think Don Sweeney, General Manager of an NHL franchise, tried that already? Give the guy some credit.

One more note: With all of these deficiencies and struggles of Donato that are pointed out by our lovely members of HFBoards and on Bruins Twitter, don’t you think scouts in the NHL see this too? That GMs and Assistant GMs see these things too?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Again, believe whatever you want. Not trying to influence you on anything. For the 7th time, it was in response to someone else asking how long before those stories start coming out. Not where they originated from or who was the author. Just them coming out.

Now that being said, you have to be incredibly naive to think that organizations don't play the PR game. But again, believe what you want.
We’re not talking about “organizations playing the PR game” here though. The Bruins are pretty spotless in their selection, development, and public respect toward this player.

Reactions: Chief Nine

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This might end up being longer than I expect, but here are my thoughts on the trade and Donato.

For starters, I think this is a good, old fashioned “hockey trade” between two teams in the NHL. While both the Wild and Bruins lost something of significance, I give the Bruins the edge right now. Charlie Coyle, 26, has one-year remaining at $3.2m per-year on his deal and is already an established W/C for the middle-six part of the roster. The Bruins gave up a highly-touted prospect who’s probably close to ready for full-time duty in the NHL so he can develop there, rather than the AHL.

Charlie Coyle is a solid, unspectacular middle-six forward who can play wing or center. He makes for an average second-line winger, but I think he’s much more effective as a third-line center. He’s got good size and is really, really strong, but also frustrating in that regard too. On some nights, you’ll watch him and think he’s some hidden gem you’ve never watched before. On other nights, he’ll be as invisible as can be— not using his weight to support himself on battles, not throwing his big frame around and not really skating hard. From what I’ve read, he gets down on himself pretty easily and confidence could be an issue at times. Either way, he’s still a solid, right-shot, middle-six center with size and those guys aren’t exactly easy to find.

Ryan Donato is a player that came to Boston after being shot out of a cannon. We know his skills are there, but he’s shown very little since his stint before the playoffs last year. Obviously he possesses a world-class shot and release, but he was weak on his skates and isn’t a great skater to begin with. These are definitely areas he can and will improve, but the Bruins are clearly in “win” mode and don’t have time to let him develop under them. Especially if they can use him to acquire a piece to help for now and the future— Coyle. Donato might be a touch overrated, especially after that performance last Spring. I personally think he can be a second-line sniper in the NHL capable of 20G-30G, but I think there are more question marks surrounding him than previously thought. He’s a good player, but he’s a left-shot and isn’t better than DeBrusk, Heinen or even Bjork in my opinion.

Don Sweeney gets ragged on a lot here for appearing to be “gun shy” and holding on too “tight” to his prospects. He’s been accused of nepotism in regards to Donato specifically, and, well, just kind of disproved all of that in one move, IMO. He traded Ryan Donato before he had a chance to be developed into something more than he is now, for an established young-veteran in the NHL. As I don’t actually love Charlie Coyle, I still think this is a clear win for Don Sweeney in more ways than one. The Bruins were able to add to their roster (for now and later) without subtracting from it, but also not giving up much from the farm in regards to quantity. That’s a good move if you asked me.

By trading Donato for a center with term, maybe this allows him to move someone like Frederic for a top-six winger, since Coyle can play in the middle-six for years to come if that’s something the Bruins want to do. They have options now in that regard. Let’s face it, the Bruins had to start moving out some of these players as they cant all play in the top-nine. DeBrusk, Heinen, Pastrnak, Cehlarik and Bjork have all competed— only DeBrusk and Pastrnak are locks. I think Bjork is a better player than Donato and if his injuries hadn’t piled up, then he would have easily surpassed him anyways. Soon, Lauko will be on his way. Zach Senyshyn should make the jump next year, too. The Bruins still have an abundance of young wingers trying to crack the lineup— they capitalized on moving one for a middle-six center.

The Bruins also have been drafting very well in the second-round and third-round of the draft. If you asked me, including a highly-touted prospect like Donato allowed them to give up only a fourth-round or fifth-round pick, as opposed to second or third. Bruins gave up a young, talented sniper...but you know what? If you want another, go out and draft one. They traded Vatrano last year (third-round pick) and went out and drafted a player in Lauko who has higher upside than Vatrano does. Some outlets even had Lauko pegged as a first-round pick.

Anyways, this was a good trade and clearly not an easy decision to make. I think Sweeney deserves a lot of credit on this one. I’ve seen constantly on Twitter how some people think that Donato should have been used in a package to get a top-six winger or some high-caliber forward. Well, don’t you think Don Sweeney, General Manager of an NHL franchise, tried that already? Give the guy some credit.

One more note: With all of these deficiencies and struggles of Donato that are pointed out by our lovely members of HFBoards and on Bruins Twitter, don’t you think scouts in the NHL see this too? That GMs and Assistant GMs see these things too?
great post. really glad to hear you're still so high on Bjork. I'm hoping the injuries don't set him back too much.

as for Donato I was definitely one poster who thought Sweeney had given him special treatment and immediately remarked after the trade that I was impressed with Sweeney's ability to make this move in spite of the personal ties.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We’re not talking about “organizations playing the PR game” here though. The Bruins are pretty spotless in their selection, development, and public respect toward this player.

You seem to want to argue something with me on this. I don't know what to tell you other than what I said previously. You feel they aren't going to play the PR game on Donato, and that's great. I'm not invested in that either way, so I guess it's all good? :laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You feel they aren't going to play the PR game on Donato, and that's great. I'm not invested in that either way, so I guess it's all good? :laugh:
They might, they might not, but there’s no evidence that they have - other than your non-invested horseless insinuations.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Do people really think the reputation of an organization doesn't factor into decisions when players sign? For example, do folks actually think that Jimmy Vesey didn't weigh how the team handles young offensively minded players when he was deciding where to go a couple of years ago? Same thing goes for agents. Do people recall the Sinden era when every contract negotiation was a drawn out cluster ****? Do you think agents were advising their clients to sign with Boston during those days?

This **** matters, whether the lemmings here want to admit it or not.

Didn't seem to bother Marchand, Pasta or their agents.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A little devils advocate here, but you're very smart and have seen many players come and go. Would you say their approach is working? (Not asking in a confrontational way, asking in a genuinely curious way)

I go back and forth on it but sometimes I do think it's the the org that could use a couple of tweaks, not the players they're bringing into it.

Oh I know the Bruins aren't 100% perfect :laugh: Since this is cropping up maybe they should re-evaluate who they target to draft/sign and how they convey their expectations and make whatever changes are necessary so that everyone is on the same page.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Didn't seem to bother Marchand, Pasta or their agents.

Sure, but they were already in the organization. Think of it this way. You're interviewing at a company and then you read the reviews on them at glassdoor and they're not flattering. Does that at least make you think before you accept an offer? What about if you had offers from 2 companies, and one had a great reputation in the industry and the other was less than stellar. Would you go to the place with a bad reputation without at least giving it some thought?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Sweeney saying this at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

And I know for a fact that guy hung out with Chickie Bulger (he was a lower rank in the family but he’s wired tight)

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->