Value of: Charlie Coyle to NYR

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Had a down year, but I have always liked his play and could fit well with the new young Rangers team.

Wild are tight against the cap right now, also could give some of their young guys like Greenway or Eriksson Ek more playing time.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
overpriced 3rd liner but young enough to be worth a couple non-blue-chip prospects, maybe MN boys like Lettieri/Pedrie or high-ish picks needing change of scenery like Gropp or Halverson. these days guys' scoring peaks in 20's, he's averaging ~14 goal seasons

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
overpriced 3rd liner but young enough to be worth a couple non-blue-chip prospects, maybe MN boys like Lettieri/Pedrie or high-ish picks needing change of scenery like Gropp or Halverson. these days guys' scoring peaks in 20's, he's averaging ~14 goal seasons

“Overpriced third liner”

Man nothing about that phrase describes Coyle. Are you in the wrong thread?

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Yes he does not always pot in goals, but he is a presence on the ice. Big body and can screen the goalie. Another Kreider eske player without the great skating.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No. What's the point? He's not coming for a late pick, middle prospect. His contract gives us no leverage as he'll be a UFA when it ends. I just don't see a fit right now to go grab Charlie Coyle.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Had a down year, but I have always liked his play and could fit well with the new young Rangers team.

Wild are tight against the cap right now, also could give some of their young guys like Greenway or Eriksson Ek more playing time.
We're not that tight against the cap, at least not relative to previous years. If we were concerned about space though Coyle's $3.2m is probably the last contract we'd want to move.

Unless someone wants to offer up a better RW of comparable age (for some reason) I assume we'll keep him.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

We have a full roster, 2 elevators and about 8 D-men.

Coyle is a RW. Wild needs more RW depth. Trading out Coyle means less RW depth.

Coyle plus an add for RW upgrade is the only trade here. Buchnevich and Zuccarello both shoot left. NYR has no RW upgrades on the roster.

/thread. Thank you for coming.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I see zero positives in this idea. Rangers don't need more Coyle types. He's a good player, but he's not a making major new impact over the players he'd replace and he's a UFA after next season.

Reactions: Lays

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild are puzzled as to why they would consider a NYR offer of...nothing?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
No interest in him
Our forward core is deep and even though he’s a solid 2W we don’t need him which is why I don’t want to waste the assets it’d take for him

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The value for Coyle if the Wild were to trade just him would be a similar aged RW or right shot Center. So basically Coyle. There's not a whole lot of reason for the Wild to move him unless it's part of a package for a higher tier player.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Coyle isn’t standing in either of their ways.

We have a full roster right now with $1.7M to spare.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

He makes $3.2 million...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Doesn't new york have like 5 Coyle ish players? They needs top end skill more than anything

Reactions: Lays

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018

Wild would be wise to keep him. He didn't have a down year. He was hurt and missed quite a few games. Big difference. You're not getting him from some marginal prospects. Don't see these teams as a match. Wild need some youth up front and at center. Rangers spent IMO, too much attention to defenseman the past 2 years. Traded for three and took a crap load last year in the draft. Still light forwards wise in the system. They needed to sure up all areas of their farm but I would have liked them to take 2 forwards in the first round last year. Flip side is defenseman prospects who are good carry more weight than forwards in trades IMO.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Cap space is not an issue at all for the Wild. Trading away Coyle does not open up a spot for a prospect. Looks like there is already a spot on #3LW open for whomever show he wants it the most. Likely Greenway.
I've said this in a previous Coyle to .... thread, that he is our only right handed top9 forward. We need more righties not less. Coyle can also quite ably fill in for center in case Staal, Koivu or Ek cannot fulfill their top9 center duties. He's also coming off an injury affected down year, so selling low now is a move that we could come to regret sooner.
All moot anyway as GM Fenton has said the Wild are likely done making any moves this off season. Sounds like Fenton wants to see what he has before doing anything major. He said he was just going to tweak the roster this off-season. That is exactly what he did.

How many years has it been now when $3.2M is considered overpriced for a really good top9 player? Especially for one that is not out of depth in the top6 and can line up center as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad