Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Matt Kalman writes about moving Coyle into a RW role in the top 6: Charlie Coyle is the top-six wing Bruins are seeking

He offers this line-up as a possibility:

Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Kuraly-Kuhlman
Nordstrom-Lindholm-Wagner

Yikes. If that’s what we see next season that’s a big problem. Kuraly is a 4th liner. Coyle first line winger? JFC, we all were impressed with him this postseason but this is asking to fail.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yikes. If that’s what we see next season that’s a big problem. Kuraly is a 4th liner. Coyle first line winger? JFC, we all were impressed with him this postseason but this is asking to fail.
I think he could do it. We are all looking for a big bodied top 6 RW, Coyle might be the only internal player to fit this mold. Kuraly and Kuhlman would be a speedy duo with Heinen anticipating the play as they forecheck with speed.

Worth a shot IMO.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Oof. No he's not.

You could do much worse. We did all last season with Heinen, Donato, Backes, Cehlarik, Kuhlman, and others.

If your top 3 wings are Marchand, Pastrnak, and Debrusk(who people seem to be forgetting scored at a 30 goal pace last season), I think you could more than get by with a guy like Charlie Coyle as your 6th best forward in your top 6. Only a couple of teams if any have 4 better wingers than that.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wednesday night we were at Wessagusett Marina in Weymouth waiting for the fireworks when a large boat began pulling into the transient dock. The Commodore started walking up and down yelling,"Charlie Coyle is in the house,Charlie Coyle is in the house!" My buddy turns to me and says,"Who's Charlie Coyle"?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Wednesday night we were at Wessagusett Marina in Weymouth waiting for the fireworks when a large boat began pulling into the transient dock. The Commodore started walking up and down yelling,"Charlie Coyle is in the house,Charlie Coyle is in the house!" My buddy turns to me and says,"Who's Charlie Coyle"?
For shame.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he could do it. We are all looking for a big bodied top 6 RW, Coyle might be the only internal player to fit this mold. Kuraly and Kuhlman would be a speedy duo with Heinen anticipating the play as they forecheck with speed.

Worth a shot IMO.
Coyle played RW on the 1st line with Eric Staal and Nino in 2016, and had 56 points. He can play top 6 RW for sure, but I think the mistake that the Wild made with him was bumping him up and down the lineup and from RW to C from game to game. I think it detracted from his game. I would keep him as a really strong #3C...he's the sort of player who can exist on his own. When you stick him up the lineup you have to make it really clear to him what his role is. Sometimes I think he doesn't know if he is a skill player, or a power player, because he has tendencies of both types.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Coyle isnt a top 6 ..putting him on rw on second line furthermore accentuates the lack of depth we have at offence . Aside from 2 aging centers who can conceivably be done at anytime (they're not eternal).. we also have no second line rwinger.and what has that Sweeney done ... Nothing

I am really looking forward to seeing finished Backes next yr as our second rwinger.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

:facepalm:

Reactions: Alicat

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
RE: Coyle and Cehlarik

Peter Cehlarik has been given plenty of opportunity to shine in a top 9 role. While he has LOOKED good at times, the results haven't really been there. He is also is a bit fragile due to his lanky frame. Despite all of that, does anyone else think the Charlie Coyle might be the missing ingredient to Cehlarik's success? Coyle is great at getting through the neutral zone with speed and power. He is also really good at handling passes on the rush. These attributes could make up for Cehlarik's lack of foot speed and also compliment Cehlarik's excellent playmaking ability. Cehlarik is a bit like Johansson in that regards. He is patient and creative when it comes to putting the puck in play...and Coyle is good at taking feeds. Once he is inside the zone, Cehlarik is excellent at boxing out and working the walls. So is Coyle. The more I think of the Cehlarik resigning...the more I think of a fit alongside Charlie.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Sevendust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
RE: Coyle and Cehlarik

Peter Cehlarik has been given plenty of opportunity to shine in a top 9 role. While he has LOOKED good at times, the results haven't really been there. He is also is a bit fragile due to his lanky frame. Despite all of that, does anyone else think the Charlie Coyle might be the missing ingredient to Cehlarik's success? Coyle is great at getting through the neutral zone with speed and power. He is also really good at handling passes on the rush. These attributes could make up for Cehlarik's lack of foot speed and also compliment Cehlarik's excellent playmaking ability. Cehlarik is a bit like Johansson in that regards. He is patient and creative when it comes to putting the puck in play...and Coyle is good at taking feeds. Once he is inside the zone, Cehlarik is excellent at boxing out and working the walls. So is Coyle. The more I think of the Cehlarik resigning...the more I think of a fit alongside Charlie.

Thoughts?

I like the thinking here. Clearly the Bruins believe Cehlarik still has the potential to live up to what he's shown in flashes and spurts. This is PC's make or break year with Bruins and maybe with the NHL so I expect him to be given every shot to stick on the roster out of camp and playing on a line with Coyle seems to be a likely spot for him. I am still a Cehlarik believer and would love to see him get his game sorted out consistency-wise and play on a line with Coyle. PC I believe is also good on his off-wing, so that adds some possibilities.

Reactions: Chief Nine

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would hang tight and wait till the off season, and hope he doesn't have a 55 point season. Coyle will want to stay in Boston, and will sign if he gets a deal that is even close to the league norm.

The way salaries are going up you will be lucky to sign him to a 7/35M, IMO. A lot depends on what kind of year he has next year. If he stays healthy, gets 40 points, and is decent of better in the playoffs, then I can't see him getting less.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm hoping they re-sign Coyle before the season starts - 5/6 year deal

How would you feel if the B`s did that and Coyle struggles this season? I don`t think this will happen but just saying....

I am really optimistic about him continuing his playoff success, not sure if he`ll produce at that clip but I was pleasantly surprised with his 3 zone game but I worry about handing players long deals after short term success, I want to see him in the first 20 games or so then think about opening talks

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
How would you feel if the B`s did that and Coyle struggles this season? I don`t think this will happen but just saying....

I am really optimistic about him continuing his playoff success, not sure if he`ll produce at that clip but I was pleasantly surprised with his 3 zone game but I worry about handing players long deals after short term success, I want to see him in the first 20 games or so then think about opening talks

I really don't see it as all that risky. Charlie is a career .5 ppg player He may not put up 60-70 but I think he'll always be good for 40-50. He was impressive in the PO's and while he may not produce at that clip going forward I feel confident he has a floor of 40 points per season and probably more.

Reactions: ODAAT

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

A player failing to live up to contract expectations? Where have we seen this story before?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Today was Charlie Coyle Day:

Boston Bruins
dTzjkIZRMbdQGSEzFE.gif

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Whats the number?

Unless he gets a Hayes contract he can be moved. You think he'd go Belesky on us and fall off a cliff? I mean its happened to guys from here before.

Coyle and Grizz are going to be tough to resign even if they take less I think they will demand full expansion draft protection and we are going to have a numbers crunch especially if some young guys break out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad