Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The ghost writer did a nice job on this one. Some pretty funny lines in there.
I thought they were quoting Good Will Hunting at first and then realize he's an Irish kid from the Boston area. Lots of cousins especially 2nd on down.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I thought they were quoting Good Will Hunting at first and then realize he's an Irish kid from the Boston area. Lots of cousins especially 2nd on down.

Going back to my youth (and before) the Coyles. the Kings, the Sheehans are well known hockey families in Weymouth, along with the Amontes from Hingham. They all married each other and had flocks of kids.

Reactions: Cumina

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What a playoffs so far for this guy:

5th in points (behind Krug and the perfection line)

Tied for 1st in non-PP points with Krejci with 11 each. (side note, Kuraly is tied for 3rd in this category with 9 points alongside 63, 88 and Mojo).

1st among forwards in +/- (2nd on the team behind only Chara)

3rd among forwards and 4th among skaters in hits (behind Acciari, Nordstrom, and Chara).

He won't win it (will go to a higher profile player), but if, if, if the Bruins go on to capture the Stanley Cup he's a legitimate Conn Smythe candidate.

Thank goodness this coaching staff had enough sense to use him as a center and not a power winger.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Still happily eating crow. What a fantastic addition. As a fan of his when he was drafted and not so much the game he played his last two seasons in Minni, this is easily the best I’ve seen him play. Maybe Savard was right that there was still more to give.

Very glad he’s under contract for another season, however it may be tough resigning him at the end of next season. I personally think he is a good bridge to the future since he is just 27 and can offer some stability and make the transition from Bergy/Krejci to the next wave a bit easier. My guess is that he might take a slight hometown discount?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Still happily eating crow. What a fantastic addition. As a fan of his when he was drafted and not so much the game he played his last two seasons in Minni, this is easily the best I’ve seen him play. Maybe Savard was right that there was still more to give.

Very glad he’s under contract for another season, however it may be tough resigning him at the end of next season. I personally think he is a good bridge to the future since he is just 27 and can offer some stability and make the transition from Bergy/Krejci to the next wave a bit easier. My guess is that he might take a slight hometown discount?
Don’t think he’s going to break the bank - Hasn’t broke 40 pts for two years now and makes 3+ mil. He’s thriving as a third line center rather than being miscast as a first line wing in Minnesota but how much more will his next deal really be?

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don’t think he’s going to break the bank - Hasn’t broke 40 pts for two years now and makes 3+ mil. How much more will his next deal really be?

Depends on where the salary cap goes. The marketplace is nothing like it was when he signed his last deal when you got guys like Eichel making 10 million a year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I loved the trade the minute it was announced. Extend him for five years as soon as allowed.

He has been as consistent and dominant as we could possibly hope for these playoffs and has had a far greater impact than a typical third line center.

Reactions: Saxon Eric and BMC

aguineapig

Charlie says
"Love my Good and Plenty"
Charlie says
'Really rings a Bell"
Charlie says
"Don't know any other Candy
that I Love so well"

Good & Plenty candy "Choo Choo Charlie"

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He is the perfect playoff contending 3rd line c, he is dominant in his matchups but can also improve the top 6 by temporarily joining a line for a rush or two.
Key word "playoff." Guys like him I want on my team come time for the physical playoff grind. I thought it was a good move at the time of the trade, but Coyle has surpassed my expectations. He and Kuraly are both centering the bottom two lines like bosses, and in the process are major reasons for the Bs making it to the SCF, and being up 2-1 in the SCF.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
God, he's so BIG, watching opposing players try to knock him off of the puck is a treat in of itself

He's literally a foot taller than me. Talk about envy.

Reactions: BMC

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Had a great Toronto series then 2 OK series and has gotten better and better in this series culminating in the best goal of the playoffs

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

He seems very happy to be playing/living in his home city. Stranger things have happened!

I just love the guy.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
God, he's so BIG, watching opposing players try to knock him off of the puck is a treat in of itself

He's literally a foot taller than me. Talk about envy.
I think it was the play with his goal in the 1st that a STL player came into the zone fast at him as he was exiting and the guy only tried getting the puck, he wanted nothing of Coyle's body even at that speed.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can't believe he's signed for another year. This is the type of playoffs you MAY expect from a player that wants a big payday next year.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Don’t think he’s going to break the bank - Hasn’t broke 40 pts for two years now and makes 3+ mil. He’s thriving as a third line center rather than being miscast as a first line wing in Minnesota but how much more will his next deal really be?

At least starting at 4 per season imo

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He seems very happy to be playing/living in his home city. Stranger things have happened!

I just love the guy.

been a while since a local kid thrived in Boston , have two this year with Wags and Coyle, great to see. I liked the deal at the time although my opinions on Coyle were based on a truly small sample size. I felt the complete absence of a 3rd line until his and Mojo`s arrival meant that at the very least, they would have someone to hopefully help balance out a lineup, didn`t anticipate he`d be as impactful in the playoffs

The guy is a brick wall, not sure I`ve seen a play yet where he`s had possession and gets bounced off the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad