Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This was one of my biggest concerns about acquiring Coyle (or any Boston guy). I'm relieved that he's appears not to be phased by the pressure of playing for him childhood team.

What's crazy is he had 6pts in 21gp after the trade. Playoffs roll around and he's got 6pts in 8gp lol
5 of the 6 points being goals!

Jimmy Hayes he is not

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
If you watch any of the youtube highlights of his time with the Wild, you will find a guy who can really do it all(score, hit, carry the puck, etc.). Consistency has been the only problem. But when he is on a roll, as he is now, look out. Really perfect timing for the Bruins.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Okay.... obviously the goals were sweet and clutch.. and I'll probably get **** for saying this... but I think my favorite moment for Coyle last night was when he absolutely treated Panarin like a bratty 5 year old and tossed him aside and took the puck. If anyone has video of this or can make it a gif... that'd be wonderful.
It mystifies me that he's gotten any kind of a reputation for being "soft," because that sort of play is what's always typified "Good Coyle" in my head. There's a similar play against Duchene from a 4-1 comeback against Colorado a few years ago that always stands out to me:

It's great to see him getting rewarded with goals, especially since it'll encourage him to keep shooting instead of making some of the inexplicable passes he that he does (which typify "Bad Coyle," in my mind). But goals or no goals, it's when he's using his strength and speed like that that he's at his best.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Their not really the same style of player though, nor are they close in size.

Knight - 5'11 / 200lb
Coyle - 6'3 /220lb
Coyle is more like 230 lbs. He is ripped.

I like Donato's nose for the net, offensive instincts, and shot. He is weak, though, has average speed, loses puck battles, and is mediocre defensively. If he was 20yo I wouldn't worry, but the guy is 23. Time is ticking on the strength/speed thing.

If you could combine Coyle and Donato's best attributes you'd have a helluva player.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I kept bringing up his name in trade acquisitions and was shot down. I never knew he was not going be a scorer. I just wanted a bigger 3rd line center that is responsible in both ends. As a 3rd line center if they break even they are doing their job. He is in bonus territory now and one of the best Bruins and may have to move up to the 2nd line and I am totally confident in him. I was always in his corner, even with Donuts scoring in bunches in Minny.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Coyle is more like 230 lbs. He is ripped.

Idk what is true weight is, I'm just going off of what is listed online.

I like Donato's nose for the net, offensive instincts, and shot. He is weak, though, has average speed, loses puck battles, and is mediocre defensively. If he was 20yo I wouldn't worry, but the guy is 23. Time is ticking on the strength/speed thing.

At 23yr old he still not near his prime though. I think Donato kind of got a bad rap because he was asked to play a style of hockey that really didn't fit his skill set.

If you could combine Coyle and Donato's best attributes you'd have a helluva player.

Donato's shot with Coyle would be pretty nasty.

germanbsfan

Jan 17, 2012
Aachen, Germany
What a great pick up at the Trade deadline. Hats off to Don for that move.
It's difficult to say if it turns out right in the long run but we're here to win NOW and Charlie Coyle seems the right player for that.

Become only the 2nd player in Franchise history (Bergeron 2013) to score the game tying goal under 5 minutes and the OT winner.
4th player in Franchise history to score game tying goal and OT winner.

Added him to my History will be Made series for these playoffs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
At 23yr old he still not near his prime though. I think Donato kind of got a bad rap because he was asked to play a style of hockey that really didn't fit his skill set.
Actually, 23 yo is in the prime years for a winger. 22-26yo is when they are most productive, on average. Agreed that all is not lost for Donato. Best thing he can do is work out with Coyle in the off season. Donato needs to get stronger, with will make him a tad faster, and better equipped to win board battles. I don't think he will ever be much of a 200' player, though.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Actually, 23 yo is in the prime years for a winger. 22-26yo is when they are most productive, on average. Agreed that all is not lost for Donato. Best thing he can do is work out with Coyle in the off season. Donato needs to get stronger, with will make him a tad faster, and better equipped to win board battles. I don't think he will ever be much of a 200' player, though.

What the "prime years" based on?

kjpm

May 28, 2011
I’d say he’s given us double maybe triple what Jimmy gave us already. :laugh:

Great pickup by Sweeney on a team dying for a solid 3rd line center. Donato is going to be a great player no question but this was a much needed piece for this team.

Literally my only good memory of Jimmy Hayes was the time he inexplicably scored that hat trick. Tried to repress the rest. Charlie's game last night on its own tops Jimmy's time with the Bruins hands down haha.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Screenshot_2019-04-27-09-42-55~3.png

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad