Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Great possession player who goes through streaks of invisibility,mediocre offensively.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's doing about what I'd expected from him this year big, strong, almost impossible to knock off the puck. He bags 15-18 goals this year I'd call that a great year for this guy

Cannot overstate how good it is Sweeney resigned him. They're gonna need him down the road

They should have played him more last playoff run. He only averaged 15 minutes and change during the playoffs, and that's factoring in the OT games. As we all saw, he was one of our best players, tied for the team lead in goals and was tied with Krejci for points. I hope they increase his ice time during this upcoming run.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
coylech92

Charlie Coyle. Very good player.

Last edited:

member 96824

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
He really does make me feel a bit better about Krejci/Bergeron's eventual departures. I do think a leadership position in the top 6 will come his way at some point, if he's open to it.

By that point, assuming all goes to plan, here's to hoping that both Studnicka AND Frederic show up and play to their full potential as centers in the NHL as well. Studs preferably a top 6 center and Frederic as the third line center. That's probably me being toooo optimistic, but man, if that could work out?

Coye/Studnicka
Studnicka/Coyle
Frederic
Beecher/Kuraly/Whoever

As far as solidity goes, this is ideal for me. They're not gonna get a number one franchise center drafting at the bottom of the first round for awhile. You'd have to hope Studnicka and Frederic both learn from Coyle's example, because as Bergy's time slowly dwindles (not that he WOULDN'T demonstrate great play for kids to learn from, of course!), stability is essential. This team CAN make sure a total rebuild is unnecessary; I'm not saying there won't be speed bumps, but I'd rather never see Boston need to rely on lottery draft picks to reshape the team, in the years to come

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
They should have played him more last playoff run. He only averaged 15 minutes and change during the playoffs, and that's factoring in the OT games. As we all saw, he was one of our best players, tied for the team lead in goals and was tied with Krejci for points. I hope they increase his ice time during this upcoming run.
Agree. And I think Cassidy will be more inclined to roll him out there more consistently now that he's settled in the team. Was probably one of the resons the top line ran out of gas toward the end of the playoffs too, they were overplayed and worn out/banged up by the time the Finals rolled around. Hopefully a more balanced workload can yield better end results, and Coyle carrying the 3rd line is a big part of that. I've noticed he's sent out there to close out games now too (with Bergy and Marchand) which means Bruce really trusts him when the chips are down.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Awesome player.

I think he’s been better than Krejci.

Their overall contributions have been pretty close.
If Coyle had a touch more finish to his game you
have to believe he would still be in Minnesota.

Maybe he mimicks Marchand and turns into a
55-60 point player on a 2nd line.

Last edited:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Coyle is an excellent 3C, decent 2RW, but if he's your main 2C you probably aren't a contender.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think Coyle has been a better player than Krejci 5 on 5 this year. No question IMO. Even going back to the playoffs. If he could ever find his role and confidence on the PP.... Watch out. Similar to McAvoy in that regard.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Their overall contributions have been pretty close.
If Coyle had a touch more finish to his game you
have to believe he would still be in Minnesota.

Maybe he mimicks Marchand and turns into a
55-60 point player on a 2nd line.

I wonder if they just misused him. He played a lot of right wing for them. He also seems to be more of a playmaker than a shooter and I could see them making the same mistake we did with Wheeler, insisting that they shoot more and score more goals when really their strength is possessing the puck and setting up line mates. I think his numbers this year would be a lot better if he had a 20 goal score on his line. Even without it, he has the same amount of even strength points as Krejci, he plays less per game but has played more games so it is close to a wash point wise.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Coyle is an excellent 3C, decent 2RW, but if he's your main 2C you probably aren't a contender.

Thats simply because Tor, TB, Washington and Pittsburgh
have two centers each that are legit 1C.

So if all centers were distributed equally
across teams and Coyle and Bergeron were the
#1 / #2 centers, I think Boston are contenders.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I wonder if they just misused him. He played a lot of right wing for them. He also seems to be more of a play maker than a shooter and I could see them making the same mistake we did with Wheeler, insisting that they shoot more and score more goals when really their strength is possessing the puck and setting up line mates. I think his numbers this year would be a lot better if he had a 20 goal score on his line. Even without it, he has the same amount of even strength points as Krejci, he plays less per game but has played more games so it is close to a wash point wise.

100% agree with you on this. If Coyle got DeBrusk
for a full season u have to think he hits 50 points
minimum.

Coyle is a top 5 forward on Boston now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad