Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Sometimes he will show a few things that make you go, "whoa!". If he is playing on the 3rd line, though, with him as the best player, you can't expect much.
He's in a damn good spot for us and I've been preaching this since we got him. He's finally got real line mates too.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
People who simply wanted to see points weren’t looking for the right things.

His style is one that should age well in a long playoff run. He’s got the reputation of “not being easy to play against” and you could see it in this series. He may not be the quickest guy, have the quickest hands, etc. But he does his f***ing job.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
People who simply wanted to see points weren’t looking for the right things.

His style is one that should age well in a long playoff run. He’s got the reputation of “not being easy to play against” and you could see it in this series. He may not be the quickest guy, have the quickest hands, etc. But he does his ****ing job.
I'd argue too he is damn fast for his size and he takes and gives hits in a way that is not at all soft. He is no Jimmy Hayes.

Reactions: TCB and Bruhin

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Still not sorry we traded Donato for this guy

I don't know if I wanna know how Donato would've handled playing against Toronto

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That was absolutely insane. The puck seemed literally glued to his stick & it seemed he literally held off the entire Leafs team that was trying to get it away from him.
thing of beauty, not sure he lifts like I do but...:laugh::sarcasm:

Reactions: BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Could you imagine what a **** show this series would have been if we didn't have Coyle centering the third line?

I shudder to imagine JFK or Frederic centering that line in this series....
He was a difference maker, and yes I think without him as the third line center the Bruins would more than likely be hitting the links. Great trade by Sweeney!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I also think that CC is guy who would probably take a hometown discount if offered a long term contract, though the B's have plenty of time to figure out when, or if, they want to do that.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I also think that CC is guy who would probably take a hometown discount if offered a long term contract, though the B's have plenty of time to figure out when, or if, they want to do that.

I`m with you about plenty of time, no need to rush out and ink him yet, let`s see how next season progresses as far as a prospect who might be making a case for NHL duty etc....not that I have any issues with Coyle, far from it, the luxury the B`s have is if they feel they have a C-man whose as ready as can be in the AHL, the option is always there to shift Charlie to the wing, not sure if his game would be as effective only because I haven`t really watched enough of him over the years to know if his game is up to par on the wing as it is on the dot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Most of us thought he was a top 6 RW, and a top 9 C. I like him better at C, but I was in the minority on the Wild boards. He can be a thrid wheel on a top line, doing the dirty work, feeding the skilled guys, and watching their backs. While he's not much of a fighter, he can be a physical force, and will make his presence known if the other team tries to bully.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Can't remember when Bruins had such a good 3c. Maybe when Savard was still around and Krejci/Bergeron formed middle-6? I'm not sure they can re-sign him, since signing middle tier players is almost always a mistake, but it's a great luxury for a little while.

Reactions: HustleB

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Without Coyle, I don't think the Bruins advance. I would have been thrilled if somehow Sweeney could have added Zucker along with him (before getting Johansson) but more than happy with Coyle in the playoffs so far. His puck possession skills are ridiculous, which wasn't one of Donato's strengths (though Donato seems like a quick learner and he's still young).

Sweeney nailed this one.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Without Coyle, I don't think the Bruins advance. I would have been thrilled if somehow Sweeney could have added Zucker along with him (before getting Johansson) but more than happy with Coyle in the playoffs so far. His puck possession skills are ridiculous, which wasn't one of Donato's strengths (though Donato seems like a quick learner and he's still young).

Sweeney nailed this one.
Donato is a shell of what Coyle brings to the table(sorry, Ted)
Coyle just seems to play the puck possession game the team deploys.

Reactions: BMC and Grimey

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Donato is a shell of what Coyle brings to the table(sorry, Ted)
Coyle just seems to play the puck possession game the team deploys.

It's like Rick Nash holding onto the puck and playing keep away. Donato had a hard time controlling the puck. Could be something he improves on down the road, but he wasn't going to help the Bruins win in the playoffs.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm not going to s*** on Donato just to raise up Coyle. I think Donato will likely be the best player in this trade (unless the Wild pick a superstar with the 4th round pick) but he's not the best player for what the Bruins need today.

The Bruins need someone like Coyle and they got him. He has delivered in the playoffs which is the only place they needed him to deliver.

The Wild got Donato as part of their rebuild and he got off to a great start for them. He will likely be a top 6 wing for them for the next decade if they are smart.

This is a win - win trade for both teams.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The trade is potentially a Wheeler for Peverley type of deal if Donato develops to his potential. Sometimes you have to trade youth for something now.

If Donato doesn't develop, it's a steal.

Reactions: 00BW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->