Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If this is who Hudon is then for sure he makes the team, and 3rd line sounds right.

If Jerabek can play with Weber, Hudon plays the 3rd line, this team has potential if the other guys like Drouin, Chucky, Gallagher come through. Of course if Hudon can help Pleks produce more then we are talking.We all of a sudden have four lines that can kick in.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Looking like the spot is his to lose. Great to see as we need the scoring punch.

Was his skating a concern in his draft year or was there anothe reason he went in the 5th round?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Looking like the spot is his to lose. Great to see as we need the scoring punch.

Was his skating a concern in his draft year or was there anothe reason he went in the 5th round?

Skating & size.

His hockey IQ was always off the charts and he had a great skill set. IMO, we should be actively pursuing these types of players a lot more than the De La Rose / McCarron man mountain types.

You can't teach hockey IQ, and while size is obviously an important attribute it's far from the be all end all some like to make it out to be.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

The combinaison of size and skating

From what i have read and heard scouts thought he would be a solid AHL player but wouldn't have the speed nor physicality to make it to the NHL

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It could be that he wasn't as ready or ready enough before now. Was just looking for him to get a longer look in past years, not being granted a pass. Nor did I ever suggest he spent too much time in the minors. He's still a young guy.

Only incentive I had for suggesting a longer look in the past was not to get to the current point -- which is to have to make a decision about him in a year when he has to clear waivers.

But, none of that matters anymore. What counts is that he's getting a real opportunity now and he's already getting noticed, with the usual caveats applying to how early in the process we are in. Here's hoping for continued success.

You could actually argue that they kept him in the AHL so that Vegas doesn't claim him in the expansion draft... I know you would've been happy with Shaw exposed but I'm sure the management doesn't share your opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know you would've been happy with Shaw exposed but I'm sure the management doesn't share your opinion.

Meh, I don't believe management really cares what any of us think. :)

Go Hudon, go!!!

Or, go Hugh Dawn, as they say call him on TSN ...

1wey2g.jpg

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Even though this has been a horrible training camp for most of our young players, Hudon really has been a bright spot and will be a welcome addition to our Top 9! The question remains, who do you play him with? I know he's been playing with Pleky and Lehks since the start of camp, but do you think that line will stick?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even though this has been a horrible training camp for most of our young players, Hudon really has been a bright spot and will be a welcome addition to our Top 9! The question remains, who do you play him with? I know he's been playing with Pleky and Lehks since the start of camp, but do you think that line will stick?

I think all 4 lines have been set.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yes. Hudon, Pleky, Lehkonen is a good line. Might be our 2nd line. It's the Galchenyuk, Danault, Gallagher line that has to get going. No idea about the 4th line at this stage

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes. Hudon, Pleky, Lehkonen is a good line. Might be our 2nd line. It's the Galchenyuk, Danault, Gallagher line that has to get going. No idea about the 4th line at this stage

If the first 3 lines stay as they are, it's 99% sure the 4th line is Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If the first 3 lines stay as they are, it's 99% sure the 4th line is Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

Hudon and Hemsky were the only two guys I could have seen Byron and Shaw beating out in the top 9.

I hope Hudon and Hemsky can keep their spots.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hudon and Hemsky were the only two guys I could have seen Byron and Shaw beating out in the top 9.

I hope Hudon and Hemsky can keep their spots.

I think Hudon is a lock for the top 9. I could see the RW changing:

Gallagher
Lehkonen
Shaw/Hemsky
Shaw/Hemsky

Jul 6, 2016
Skating & size.

His hockey IQ was always off the charts and he had a great skill set. IMO, we should be actively pursuing these types of players a lot more than the De La Rose / McCarron man mountain types.

You can't teach hockey IQ, and while size is obviously an important attribute it's far from the be all end all some like to make it out to be.

Kids like Point in TB and Connor Brown in TO, and of course Gaudreau in Calgary are proving middle rounders can be gems.

Pretty good 4th line.

But the overall size of the team's forwards is a huge concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon's skating seems to have improved because from the games I watched he seems to have decent wheels.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Hudon's skating seems to have improved because from the games I watched he seems to have decent wheels.

So has his shot. He always had a quick release but that thing was a beauty last night. And that one where he hit the post against the Caps.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
So has his shot. He always had a quick release but that thing was a beauty last night. And that one where he hit the post against the Caps.

The goal against the caps was sweet too. It was a one timer but he still dragged it a little to change the angle.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
If he makes the team does he keep 54 or is there a better option? Not the biggest fan of some of the higher numbers but not sure there’s any good options for him left.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he must have put in a lot of work as his shot in the past 2 years has been lethal. Very accurate. It's one of the reasons I've been so excited about him, when you have a good playmaker that's very smart, and he improves his shot to where he could be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL (imo), that makes him a real threat as he becomes so tough to defend against, you just don't know if he will beat you with his shot or a sick pass.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think we might end up seeing :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Danault - Hemsky
Hudon - Plekanec - Lekhonen
Byron - Mitchell - Shaw

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Not only has he looked great, he’s had good chemistry with Plekanec which is nice to see as we could use a rebound season offensively from Plek.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know that anyone can revive Plekanec, but sure appreciate what Hudon has shown so far on his own merits. I'm wary of Plekanec experiencing a resurgence, he's been on a downward spiral right after he signed his current deal. If anything motivates Plekanec, it's the fact that he's playing for a new contract. Hudon, on the other hand, should do well, with or without Plekanec.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't know that anyone can revive Plekanec, but sure appreciate what Hudon has shown so far on his own merits. I'm wary of Plekanec experiencing a resurgence, he's been on a downward spiral right after he signed his current deal. If anything motivates Plekanec, it's the fact that he's playing for a new contract. Hudon, on the other hand, should do well, with or without Plekanec.

Plekanec's case is really interesting... When I watch him play I don't notice that decline, he looks like the same ol Plekanec... I think he'll have a solid campaign.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
he must have put in a lot of work as his shot in the past 2 years has been lethal. Very accurate. It's one of the reasons I've been so excited about him, when you have a good playmaker that's very smart, and he improves his shot to where he could be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL (imo), that makes him a real threat as he becomes so tough to defend against, you just don't know if he will beat you with his shot or a sick pass.

Does Hudon have a better shot than Lehkonen and Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad