Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I was more sold on Hudon last year and before this year started. These past games with Domi and Drouin have not been conclusive... at least the last two.

And when Byron comes back, I think I still prefer Shaw and Delo on the 4th with Peca or Plekanec. Delo is catching up after missing time.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
at the very least right now, Hudon adds an important offensive spark to the 4th line.

His lack of foot speed will always be a problem. But, the Domi-Drouin line has at least often been dangerous with him on it. It was often really stagnant with Armia on it. I'm fine with ending the experiment now, but also ok with seeing if they can start to convert the chances he's been creating. Last night was his least dangerous offensively. I'm also going to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as being able to control his stick and not get penalties.

When was Armia on that line? I thought it was Lehkonen?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I was more sold on Hudon last year and before this year started. These past games with Domi and Drouin have not been conclusive... at least the last two.

And when Byron comes back, I think I still prefer Shaw and Delo on the 4th with Peca or Plekanec. Delo is catching up after missing time.

I haven't had the chance to catch the last couple of games, which is a shame because I've been a big fan of Hudon's game and I like his potential as a scoring middle six winger.

But he has clear limitations to his game, and the biggest one is his skating. When you're smallish, not very strong on the puck, and an average skater, you're not building off a very strong footing. It's a shame because he's a smart playmaker with good instincts and a deceptive shot, but I don't know if he'll ever be able to find the consistency to stick around in a scoring role. He really needs to capitalize on the opportunity to produce he's being given, because these don't come around very often with the depth we have on the wings.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I haven't had the chance to catch the last couple of games, which is a shame because I've been a big fan of Hudon's game and I like his potential as a scoring middle six winger.

But he has clear limitations to his game, and the biggest one is his skating. When you're smallish, not very strong on the puck, and an average skater, you're not building off a very strong footing. It's a shame because he's a smart playmaker with good instincts and a deceptive shot, but I don't know if he'll ever be able to find the consistency to stick around in a scoring role. He really needs to capitalize on the opportunity to produce he's being given, because these don't come around very often with the depth we have on the wings.
Ironically, he had a very good game last night on the fourth line and the Domi line produced without him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ironically, he had a very good game last night on the fourth line and the Domi line produced without him.
Hudon has always made the 4th line the best it's been and should never have been scratched in the first place. He also brings out the best in Peca.

And I'm not sure Shaw has much to do with the first line's recent success, need a bigger sample size. I still think we really need to find someone better to play with the.. Its a long shot, but im praying Scherback can get his all around game together and get a shot next to them. Imo he's got the finishing skills and the play making ability to fit.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Put Peca on the wing in the 4th line and Hudon to C. Seemed like the natural roles in the last game.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Should try to trade him before we Scherbak him. It's pretty obvious that he failed to improve his skating at all in the summer and when the Habs got substantially faster, Hudon became a misfit. I think there still could be a middle six future for him somewhere in the NHL but that won't be in Montreal. Love his skillset and tenacity and he makes smart decisions most of the time but his skating can't support it at all on a team relying so heavily in fast transition as the Habs are this year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Should try to trade him before we Scherbak him. It's pretty obvious that he failed to improve his skating at all in the summer and when the Habs got substantially faster, Hudon became a misfit. I think there still could be a middle six future for him somewhere in the NHL but that won't be in Montreal. Love his skillset and tenacity and he makes smart decisions most of the time but his skating can't support it at all on a team relying so heavily in fast transition as the Habs are this year.
Probably something they should have considered doing before the rest of the league recognized they have to trade him because of their roster crunch.

Trade leverage gone...same with Scherbak, De la Rose.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He's a better 4th line winger...

Meanwhile Drouin/Shaw, Gallagher/Tatar, Byron/Lehkonen

Are all better top 9 wingers.

In other words, he currently doesn't have a seat.

I buy that analysis. Agostino, a point producer at the AHL level who already won an MVP award for it, realized that he needed to adjust his game to stick around the NHL more permanently and not necessarily look to become a primarily scoring winger, He,s great on the forecheck and can play two-way hockey.

IMO, Hudon needs to play with quality line mates in a more offensive role as, at least, a 3rd line player to get the most out of him. Right now, Agostino is a better 4th line player than Hudon and deserves to be in the line up better than Hudon, or Scherbak, who was let go on waivers, for example.

Would Hudon be better than Agostino in a 3rd line role? I'm not sure, either, but Hudon would be a better goal scorer, I think. Overall offense, it could actually be a wash...

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I buy that analysis. Agostino, a point producer at the AHL level who already won an MVP award for it, realized that he needed to adjust his game to stick around the NHL more permanently and not necessarily look to become a primarily scoring winger, He,s great on the forecheck and can play two-way hockey.

IMO, Hudon needs to play with quality line mates in a more offensive role as, at least, a 3rd line player to get the most out of him. Right now, Agostino is a better 4th line player than Hudon and deserves to be in the line up better than Hudon, or Scherbak, who was let go on waivers, for example.

Would Hudon be better than Agostino in a 3rd line role? I'm not sure, either, but Hudon would be a better goal scorer, I think. Overall offense, it could actually be a wash...
Hudon's like an insurance policy for CJ in case one of his wingers on the top 9 stops producing or gets hurt, he can plug Hudon in there.

Not really fair to Hudon but that's just the way it's going for him right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully not Peca but I have feeling it's going to be Peca. ("We feel with his 2 year contract , he is less likely to get picked up"...)

I have Peca behind Chaput, Agostino, and Hudon (because of his potential). And the 4th line has been better with D-lo than Peca.

I think it will be Peca or Hudon, and I think it's a bit early to give up on Hudon - that would make Hudon, Scherbak, and DLR all given up on in the first half of the season.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I have Peca behind Chaput, Agostino, and Hudon (because of his potential). And the 4th line has been better with D-lo than Peca.

I think it will be Peca or Hudon, and I think it's a bit early to give up on Hudon - that would make Hudon, Scherbak, and DLR all given up on in the first half of the season.
Would be stupid if they waive Hudon... This year would be one of the worst seasons I can recall in terms of asset management, yes losing fringe players is bad asset management when instead of recouping assets you lose them for nothing. If (since this is obviously a hypothetical) you would have told me that all 3 of Scherbak, DLR and Hudon would be gone from this organization via waivers, I'd be pissed. Especially when you add in the fact that they were moved aside for older players that have been rotting in the AHL. It's nice to try to find the next Begin/Darche value but not when it comes at the expense of young players. I think Hudon's days are numbered. I think he can build a niche for himself like Parenteau did.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would be stupid if they waive Hudon... This year would be one of the worst seasons I can recall in terms of asset management, yes losing fringe players is bad asset management when instead of recouping assets you lose them for nothing. If (since this is obviously a hypothetical) you would have told me that all 3 of Scherbak, DLR and Hudon would be gone from this organization via waivers, I'd be pissed. Especially when you add in the fact that they were moved aside for older players that have been rotting in the AHL. It's nice to try to find the next Begin/Darche value but not when it comes at the expense of young players. I think Hudon's days are numbered. I think he can build a niche for himself like Parenteau did.

At a certain point I stopped believing in DLR...

Scherbak, I think he can make it, it will just take patience and a lot of coaching to improve his 200 foot game...

Hudon, I'm losing hope for. His slow skating really holds him back. It's up to him to improve the strength in his legs. I'll go so far as to say it's unacceptable he isn't stockier. Gallagher was slow when he first came into the league, but he's really lifted a lot of weights and is now a tank. He's a lot faster as a result of having such strong legs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Regarding Scherbak, what is different between him and a guy like Sprong? Or Hudon and M. Perreault when he was traded?

I don't know Sprong...

Parenteau excelled before the game got faster. As it got faster and faster, he became less and less effective. Not sure he would have been very effective in the NHL of 2018, even in his prime.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't know Sprong...

Parenteau excelled before the game got faster. As it got faster and faster, he became less and less effective. Not sure he would have been very effective in the NHL of 2018, even in his prime.
Subpar defensive game, underwhelming stats at NHL level (42 GP & 9 pts) and comparable age/AHL stats. One returned a good project (Pettersson) the other was on waivers. Both required waivers. I mentioned Perreault, not Parenteau for trade value. The Caps traded him in 2013 (so around Hudon's current age) for a 4th round pick. He was coming seasons in the 30 pts range too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hudon's like an insurance policy for CJ in case one of his wingers on the top 9 stops producing or gets hurt, he can plug Hudon in there.

Not really fair to Hudon but that's just the way it's going for him right now.

I still think it's possible Hudon is to blame for not being in better physical condition. When Gallagher came into the league he was small and slow. But he must be a workout freak, because now he's built like a tank. When I played hockey I always skinny and a somewhat slow skater, until I started working out. Doing squats drastically increased my speed. I'm not sure Hudon has put in the work to get to his optimal speed and strength. It's the only things holding his game back.

Reactions: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad