Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Its bad production. 40 points is 40 points, no? Its Shaw territory, and even with all thr hate I bear for Shawzie, hes much more effective than Hudon.

Byron, Lekhonen, Shaw, Danault are all 40 pts guys in good situations, but their impact is much greater than Hudon, and Shaw isnt really an ideal 3rd liner anyway, so youd imagine that, yes, Hudon does suck.

Except Shaw has never hit 40 pts in his career even when playing in a pretty good situation in Chicago...

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
don't agree, he's not awful the rest of the time, odd take imo. He brings smarts, vision, a decent shot, offensive instincts/skills, he's got some sandpaper to his game, he's usually solid in his own end. He lacks physical tools of speed, skating, size and strength and that has always been a major concern but he's shown that he can produce even with crappy linemates.

I agree with that. I mostly always agree with @Mrb1p posts but his evaluation is way off mine on this one. I don't understand how it is possible to say Hudon brings nothing except 30 pts (which is quite good in his limited role). He's good on the forecheck and his IQ translates in takeaways. I agree speed could be improve but it always has been the case for him (+ being injury-free)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
don't agree, he's not awful the rest of the time, odd take imo. He brings smarts, vision, a decent shot, offensive instincts/skills, he's got some sandpaper to his game, he's usually solid in his own end. He lacks physical tools of speed, skating, size and strength and that has always been a major concern but he's shown that he can produce even with crappy linemates.

He averaged 2.5 shots a game last year playing with a centre who's an absolute black hole offensively. He's a guy who's able to create offence on his own with his smarts and despite being smaller he's not afraid to play physical to create plays.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Its bad production. 40 points is 40 points, no? Its Shaw territory, and even with all thr hate I bear for Shawzie, hes much more effective than Hudon.

Byron, Lekhonen, Shaw, Danault are all 40 pts guys in good situations, but their impact is much greater than Hudon, and Shaw isnt really an ideal 3rd liner anyway, so youd imagine that, yes, Hudon does suck.

More effective at what? getting stupid penalty that cost the game? or getting hit while having is head down?

Lehkonen have been put in good situation so far in the last 2 years and was not able to produce 30 pts like Hudon have done. He's not bringing much more then Hudon, its just false.

Hudon>Shaw at pretty much everything related to hockey, sorry to burst your bubble.

Reactions: Chr1s97

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

If he put up 40 pts last year as a rookie, he would have been 5th on the team in scoring, 4th among forwards. It's not about points it's about context. If he's one of our best forwards last year production wise despite not having a center and a lack of PP time compared with the guys that outproduced him then clearly he did well vs the rest of the team.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
I like Hudon. I think the best is yet to come with him. But I might be biased, I've always liked his play going back to his junior days.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poor Hudon plays 3 full seasons in the AHL and somehow manages to score 30 points in his first NHL campaign on a team that can’t score. Now he is a healthy scratch. Real head scratcher. The kid creates chances, deserves to play. Those who clamor that Clode has changed are way off, He is still a dinosaur who will dress DLO, Shaw and Alzner tomorrow.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and Sorinth

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's worth noting that Shaw got almost a minute more PP time a game, and often played on the top PP unit, whereas Hudon had a more secondary PP usage.

40 points when you're on the top PP unit, and are often in the top-6 is not impressive, though I wouldn't call it bad. From the bottom six with secondary PP usage it becomes good production.

Context matters a lot in these cases

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's worth noting that Shaw got almost a minute more PP time a game, and often played on the top PP unit, whereas Hudon had a more secondary PP usage.

40 points when you're on the top PP unit, and are often in the top-6 is not impressive, though I wouldn't call it bad. From the bottom six with secondary PP usage it becomes good production.

Context matters a lot in these cases
Shaw is vastly overrated and his contract VS his production/intangibles reflect that. 4th Liners are not worth 3.9 Mil per season.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Im a Hudon fan but I definitely understand the scratch after those two dumb penalties. Hopefully he gets back in there though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I've talked to someone who analyze and watch closely Habs prospect for years about Hudon.
I took his info and made my own research and the results is pretty much what he told me.....

Habs beat the Sens 8-3, Hudon got 2 goals - 1 assist
Habs beats the Wing 6-3, Hudon got 1 goal
Habs beats the Wings 10-1, Hudon got 1 goal and 1 assist
Canes beats the Habs 6-5, Hodon got 2 goals and 1 assist
Vegas beats the Habs 6-3, Hudon got 1 goals
Caps beats the Habs 6-4, Hudon scored 2 goals

This year both his goal was in a 5-1 and in a 7-3 games....

My guy's info was the following: Apparently it was one of his biggest criticism when he was in the AHL. Hudon has a tendencies to produce a lot in wide open/high scoring games....but struggles a lot in tight close games (Not that he can't produce in those games, but he's much less effective).

But it's kind of telling that Hudon scored 12 goals in the NHL so far......11 of them was in high scoring/wide open games. I guess his infos was 100% correct.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Shaw is vastly overrated and his contract VS his production/intangibles reflect that. 4th Liners are not worth 3.9 Mil per season.

I was responding to the 40 points is 40 points argument. It's a bad comparison when players receive very different usages.

The problem is we are paying Shaw to be a 40 point player with lots of intagibles, but he's been a 30 point player for us. And given his generous PP time/usage that's not good enough.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was responding to the 40 points is 40 points argument. It's a bad comparison when players receive very different usages.

The problem is we are paying Shaw to be a 40 point player with lots of intagibles, but he's been a 30 point player for us. And given his generous PP time/usage that's not good enough.
Agreed. He is not earning his contract. I wonder if Chicago would take him back?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I've talked to someone who analyze and watch closely Habs prospect for years about Hudon.
I took his info and made my own research and the results is pretty much what he told me.....

My guy's info was the following: Apparently it was one of his biggest criticism when he was in the AHL. Hudon has a tendencies to produce a lot in wide open/high scoring games....but struggles a lot in tight close games (Not that he can't produce in those games, but he's much less effective).

But it's kind of telling that Hudon scored 12 goals in the NHL so far......11 of them was in high scoring/wide open games. I guess his infos was 100% correct.

A player scores more in high scoring games? Crazy.

Reactions: SOLR and Toene

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

I'd be interested I see how that compares relative to other players.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A player scores more in high scoring games? Crazy.

No....a player scores ONLY in high scoring games.

I'd be interested I see how that compares relative to other players.

Did my work....of course many players scores more in high scoring games but for those i looked up, they scores in low scoring games too compare to Hudon. For Hudon it's 11 goals out of 12...so he never scores when the game is tight.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Did my work....of course many players scores more in high scoring games but for those i looked up, they scores in low scoring games too compare to Hudon. For Hudon it's 11 goals out of 12...so he never scores when the game is tight.

I meant league wide. I doubt a stat to track this exists

Good work anyway, certainly interesting thing to keep an eye on

Reactions: Milhouse40

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK

If a player makes a habit of scoring in tight games, he's likely a top 6 player earning top 6 money. Just a thought...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If a player makes a habit of scoring in tight games, he's likely a top 6 player earning top 6 money. Just a thought...

Yeah, probably....but hey, some were whining to why Hudon was a healthy scratches despites putting some points on the boards, was just trying to explain it, doesn't mean i'm right either.

Reactions: Walrus26

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Personally, I’m not a big fan of Hudon. I think he’s slow, ineffective on boards battles, kill plays and isn’t good defensively.

However, he seems to always find a way to rack up points even if his ice time is limited. He could be invisible for 9m and have that one minute where he generates 2 good scoring chances and get on the board.

Because of our depth at wing, I don’t think he has a roster spot next year. My guess is he’s going to be traded by next training camp

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad