Proposal: Chara, Spooner and a ? to Ottawa

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
$4.0 for a top 3 (at worst)? With his leadership, experience, reach etc. at minimum?

Cap hit matters for many teams not just his salary.

Low salary helps bring in those teams with cap room but no budget space, but doesn't change his cap hit which is prohibitive for most teams.

The market for Chara will be extremely limited this season, imo, for the following reasons:

1. Teams will need cap room this season and next
2. Teams will need wbudget room for this season and next
3. Teams will need an open spot/role for Chara for this season and next
4. Destination needs to have the assets the Bruins want
5 Chara would need to waive his NMC for the team
6 The destination would need to have expansion draft room to meet his NMC
7. they need to be in a position to make the playoffs.
8. Bruins have to be willing to send Chara there rather than keep him (I.e: inter-divisional trades are probably not a good idea)
9. Bruins have to consider the return greater than simply keeping Chara.

If more than 1-2 spots match that list, I would be surprised. I'm not suggesting Chara isn't a valuable player. I'm saying that whatever value Chara has will be nearly impossible to get.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Cap hit matters for many teams not just his salary.

Low salary helps bring in those teams with cap room but no budget space, but doesn't change his cap hit which is prohibitive for most teams.

The market for Chara will be extremely limited this season, imo, for the following reasons:

1. Teams will need cap room this season and next
2. Teams will need wbudget room for this season and next
3. Teams will need an open spot/role for Chara for this season and next
4. Destination needs to have the assets the Bruins want
5 Chara would need to waive his NMC for the team
6 The destination would need to have expansion draft room to meet his NMC
7. they need to be in a position to make the playoffs.
8. Bruins have to be willing to send Chara there rather than keep him (I.e: inter-divisional trades are probably not a good idea)
9. Bruins have to consider the return greater than simply keeping Chara.

If more than 1-2 spots match that list, I would be surprised. I'm not suggesting Chara isn't a valuable player. I'm saying that whatever value Chara has will be nearly impossible to get.

Charas cap hit drops to $4mm not his salary. 35+ contract rule.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Charas cap hit drops to $4mm not his salary. 35+ contract rule.

That may help, but only really changes 1/2 of one of the points I brought up. Still doesn't change his current cap hit this or do much to help his availability before the expansion draft.

That does however bode really well for next year's deadline. A cap-Hit and salary of 4 million is not out-of-line for a second pairing guy. By then he'll also have an expiring contract.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That may help, but only really changes 1/2 of one of the points I brought up. Still doesn't change his current cap hit this or do much to help his availability before the expansion draft.

That does however bode really well for next year's deadline. A cap-Hit and salary of 4 million is not out-of-line for a second pairing guy. By then he'll also have an expiring contract.

Slick move of the goal posts.

Chara' cap hit for this season is obviously less as we are halfway through season. A 4m Chara is a win for any team with Cup aspirations

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Currently Ottawa will be protecting Karlsson, Phaneuf, and one of Ceci/Methot. Debate rages on choosing between Ceci/Methot.

Now imagine that Ottawa instead acquires Chara at significant bargain (he's old, high cap figure, needs to be protected, etc..) and Ottawa leaves BOTH Ceci and Methot available for expansion.

This would help Ottawa in a number of ways:

Chara saves them from having to pick between Ceci/Methot and gets to keep all their young forwards.

Chara would cushion the blow from losing one of Ceci/Methot. Either he takes over for Methot while Chabot develops or Phaneuf moves back to right side to replace Ceci. Either way, one more season of development for a replacement isn't terrible.

I think there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO (0) chance that Ottawa doesn't protect Cody Ceci for the expansion draft. I think they'd rather trade him for a forward (or part of a package) than lose him for nothing. I don't think they'd be thrilled by losing Methot either so they have to find a solution. However Methot is soon 32 y/o and has a 4.9 salary as a (great) defensive D-man.

An alternative would be to ask Phaneuf to waive his NMC to be left unprotected (so the team can protect Karlsson, Ceci and Methot). Maybe LV wouldn't take him because of his cap hit, but would Dion really risk that?

I'm not suggesting giving up significant assets for him but I think he can fill Methot's role for one season better than some alternatives, which is really the question Ottawa needs to be asking. Personally, I think Boston will have a hard time moving him at all for anything but a cap dump coming back..

Personally, I think you are wrong on this. Chara only has 1 year left at 4.0 (both cap hit and salary). He won't be a cap dump.

His salary drops not cap

Everybody with the desire of talking about these subjects, should have this site in their favorites :

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/zdeno-chara

Pass. Ottawa's defence is looking decent lately.
Spooner would be a decent pick up for a late pick.

For a late pick?

Spooner just turned 24 y/o and he has 102 pts in 187 NHL games, which is 45 pts per 82 games. He is RFA and only made $1,100,000 in salary this year so he will be cheap on a bridge deal.

I don't know the Bruins needs exactly but depending on the price I wouldn't mind adding Chara and Spooner.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I think most people assumed that Chara still had a $7m cap hit for next season and that Boston might like to shed that - so the premise of the proposal is flawed. Chara at $4m cap hit is money well spent.

How exactly does the rule work for Chara? Is is something about the cap hit for all years up to age 39 are averaged, and then from age 40 are averaged? This was to stop Kovalchuk ridiculously front loading his contract and tacking a few years at $1m on the end - right?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
1. Boston and Ottawa are both battling for a playoff spot and are close in the standings.

2. Ottawa isn't a buyer and isn't going to be making any cup runs this season.

3. Ottawa can't afford those pieces due to their budget.

4. Ottawa likely isn't interested in giving up picks and prospects in any deal, much less for a rental like Chara.

Ottawa does spend on long term players.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think Ottawa will have a ton of interest in Spooner how much would they be willing to give up that's the big question now as for contract being on 24 he would get Smith type contract.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Why would ottawa do this? They are a fairly young team and on the rise. Chara, while still effective, is clearly on the downswing.

I can't see any reason why ottawa would go this route.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Those players certainly won't get Ottawa into contender status. I loved Chara when he was here, but those days are over.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Chara and spooner aren't putting anyone over the top. Especially q middle of the pack Ottawa team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad