Proposal: Chara, Spooner and a ? to Ottawa

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
I'll not ask for a return...

If Chara would wave his no trade clause. Would Chara, local kid Ryan Spooner and another plug be enough to put Ottawa in the Cup hunt?

Obviously picks/prospects coming back.

Cheers

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. Boston and Ottawa are both battling for a playoff spot and are close in the standings.

2. Ottawa isn't a buyer and isn't going to be making any cup runs this season.

3. Ottawa can't afford those pieces due to their budget.

4. Ottawa likely isn't interested in giving up picks and prospects in any deal, much less for a rental like Chara.

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
1. Boston and Ottawa are both battling for a playoff spot and are close in the standings.

4. Ottawa likely isn't interested in giving up picks and prospects in any deal, much less for a rental like Chara.

Fair enough... Unfortunately Boston's not battling for a playoff spot at this point.
We're all but out of the playoff's!!

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Fair enough... Unfortunately Boston's not battling for a playoff spot at this point.
We're all but out of the playoff's!!

Still lots of season to play, but if Boston is right in the thick of it.

4 points over .500 is good enough for 9th in the conference.

Flyers are only 5 points over .500 and Toronto is 9 points over .500.

One 6-7 game winning streak and everything changes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is true but I still like the idea of adding those players haha. Its a sweet trade to make in NHL 17.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

If Chara would wave his no trade clause. Would Chara, local kid Ryan Spooner and another plug be enough to put Ottawa in the Cup hunt?

Cheers
Does Chara have any kind of NMC? Ottawa wouldn't be interested if Chara needs expansion draft protection.

If it's a Chara cap dump how about Chara at 50% + unsigned prospect for Andrew Hammond ($1.5m for 2017-18) and a minor league contract? No need to involve Spooner.

Boston shaves $2.0m off next season's salary cap... or $2.6m if they bury Hammond in the minors. Ottawa is up for $2m of Chara next season. If he gets claimed by LV so be it ... if Methot gets claimed Ottawa has a few LHD options to eat minutes by committee while Chabot learns his trade.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Does Chara have any kind of NMC? Ottawa wouldn't be interested if Chara needs expansion draft protection.

If it's a Chara cap dump how about Chara at 50% + unsigned prospect for Andrew Hammond ($1.5m for 2017-18) and a minor league contract? No need to involve Spooner.

Boston shaves $2.0m off next season's salary cap... or $2.6m if they bury Hammond in the minors. Ottawa is up for $2m of Chara next season. If he gets claimed by LV so be it ... if Methot gets claimed Ottawa has a few LHD options to eat minutes by committee while Chabot learns his trade.

I am not sure exactly how this would work but he would have to waive his NMC to be traded so that might mean he could also be exposed because he waived that clause. Chara isn't a cap dump, he is still one of the best defensive D in the league. His cap hit also goes down to $4 million next season.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Yeah, Chara is a shadow of his former self...

Not interested in bringing him back, it would just tarnish the image he has with the team - starts out as a hero, and comes back and looks crap. Sorry but, it's just the truth.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Not interested in bringing him back, it would just tarnish the image he has with the team - starts out as a hero, and comes back and looks crap. Sorry but, it's just the truth.

Except Chara isn't crap at all this season. He's been good.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota

I don't understand why this narrative continues to permeate these boards...It just isn't true. He struggled at times last year for sure, but he's been consistently good this year.

He's not getting traded most likely, so all the speculation is probably useless anyway. But literally every single GM that believes they're team could contend would jump at the chance to add him to the lineup for the right price. This whole "Chara sucks" agenda is totally baseless this year...makes no sense.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Cheers

I'm assuming Neely is fired in this scenario?

They haven't shown too much interest in a rebuild to this point.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Hmmm.. That Chara contract dropping is actually an interesting piece of information when it comes to Ottawa being interested. Though some fans won't like the reason.

Currently Ottawa will be protecting Karlsson, Phaneuf, and one of Ceci/Methot. Debate rages on choosing between Ceci/Methot.

Now imagine that Ottawa instead acquires Chara at significant bargain (he's old, high cap figure, needs to be protected, etc..) and Ottawa leaves BOTH Ceci and Methot available for expansion.

This would help Ottawa in a number of ways:

Chara saves them from having to pick between Ceci/Methot and gets to keep all their young forwards.

Chara would cushion the blow from losing one of Ceci/Methot. Either he takes over for Methot while Chabot develops or Phaneuf moves back to right side to replace Ceci. Either way, one more season of development for a replacement isn't terrible.

Chara costs a similar amount in real dollars compared to Methot/Ceci in 2017-18 so that salary will balance and in 2016-17, Ottawa is saving a bunch of dosh from having MacArthur out with a concussion. Depending on the budget it might even work.

I guess it really depends on how cheaply Boston is willing to go on Chara and the other available options in similar situations like Beauchemin, etc.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

LOL Boston isn't trading Chara for free, let alone negative value.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
LOL Boston isn't trading Chara for free, let alone negative value.

I don't think Boston is going to find a large market for a 39 year old defense-man with a 7 million dollar cap hit signed for 1.5 seasons. Oh, and he's carrying an NMC heading into the expansion draft and might need luck to hit 20 points this year over a full season.

All criticisms aside, Chara CAN be an asset to someone since the wheels haven't come off completely and his cap hit vs real dollars makes he a realistic addition for some teams.

That said, if I was a Boston fan, I'd temper my expectations with any return for Chara.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
having chara and phaneuf would set us back both great #3d's at the moment, but you can only have so many of the big tough slow skating type players..

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
having chara and phaneuf would set us back both great #3d's at the moment, but you can only have so many of the big tough slow skating type players..

I'm not suggesting giving up significant assets for him but I think he can fill Methot's role for one season better than some alternatives, which is really the question Ottawa needs to be asking. Personally, I think Boston will have a hard time moving him at all for anything but a cap dump coming back.

I'm suggesting that, assuming the assets required are marginal, protecting him isn't a big deal since Ottawa can't protect all four guys anyway and the difference between losing Methot and Ceci is both bad so we should instead focus on cushioning the blow.

Ottawa has cap space to burn, and his salary remaining for the next 120+ games is something like 6 million in real dollars.

it is really a choice about the best method to deal with losing Methot/Ceci and not even about Chara. There are a dozen older NHL defense-men who could fill a similar role.

Hell, if Ottawa doesn't trade for one, they'll probably sign a similar player on the Free Agent market anyway.

Another way of looking at it is this: Instead of trying to get rid of a top-4 defenseman so that Ottawa can protect all their guys, they should instead acquire as many top-4 guys they can (on as big a discount as possible) since Las Vegas can only take one. Then, after the draft, they can figure out what to do with the extras.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think Boston is going to find a large market for a 39 year old defense-man with a 7 million dollar cap hit signed for 1.5 seasons. Oh, and he's carrying an NMC heading into the expansion draft and might need luck to hit 20 points this year over a full season.

All criticisms aside, Chara CAN be an asset to someone since the wheels haven't come off completely and his cap hit vs real dollars makes he a realistic addition for some teams.

That said, if I was a Boston fan, I'd temper my expectations with any return for Chara.

We've gone over the cap hit issue before....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad